BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-29-2017, 07:20 AM   #1
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z3 coupe, 128i

Introduction

Name:  Time Trial smaller2.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  495.7 KBSo, I am totally new to the 1 series, and thought I would make a quick introduction. I have been autocrossing for 12 years, and started doing time trials about four years ago. Last year was my first full year doing TT on a dedicated level. I made it to Mid-O, NCM, Autobahn, RPM, Hastings, and Topeka this year. I had made my entry for the NASA eastern states champs, but flipped my car a couple of weeks before the show. Total bummer, but not a total loss. I will be building the car for endurance/club racing over the next year, after I get the 1'er ready to roll. Next year I plan on running the full Central region schedule, and a couple of great lakes events sprinkled in. My home SCCA region is also setting up a TT series that will go to Iowa speedway, hallet, Topeka, Gateway, and RPM. (If anyone is in the midwest and wants to come to these, hit me up, I will get you details.)
So, I wrecked my car, and bought a 128 to run as my TT and autocross car for next year. Pretty excited, as it feels like (in the limited time I have driven it) it is a pretty competent car. I cannot wait to get it on track.

Last edited by bionicbelly; 12-01-2017 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 07:31 AM   #2
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I don't think I ever get my best lap captured. I generally remember to turn the camera on once a day . Anyway, here are some videos from last year.

Ended up running a 1:38.2

Ended the day with a 1:56.77. This was just a fun lap with a student. Also, I found a much better line in 11,12,13 later in the day.

Last edited by bionicbelly; 12-01-2017 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
BimmerAg425.00
      12-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

There we go. Got the whole pics and video thing figured out.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Anybody ever wander around the paddock and end up in that spot with like five or six cars, 15 people standing around, and when you introduce yourself, so that you can talk about some car or track stuff, everyone just stares at you all slack jawed till you leave out of sheer awkwardness?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #5
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicbelly View Post
Anybody ever wander around the paddock and end up in that spot with like five or six cars, 15 people standing around, and when you introduce yourself, so that you can talk about some car or track stuff, everyone just stares at you all slack jawed till you leave out of sheer awkwardness?
Which track group? I've definitely run into some track groups that are very cliquey / unwelcoming which is unfortunate for the sport as a whole
      12-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
Sancs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i 2012

Nice videos!
      12-08-2017, 08:09 AM   #7
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i MSport

What region? Awesome that y'all are setting up a TT program. It would be very cool if that was more commonplace at other regions. Link to info? I'd love to share it with my folks (WDCR).

Anyways, I figure targeting TT4? I don't really play with my 128 much anymore, but am curious to see how you go with this .
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 10:22 AM   #8
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDavies View Post
What region? Awesome that y'all are setting up a TT program. It would be very cool if that was more commonplace at other regions. Link to info? I'd love to share it with my folks (WDCR).

Anyways, I figure targeting TT4? I don't really play with my 128 much anymore, but am curious to see how you go with this .
It is going to be a MidDiv series. (and awesome. )

Some guys from DMVR put it together, and basically, it will be a CT series at Iowa Speedway, RPM, Hallet, and Topeka. The CT's will be run on the same days as the regional/majors races.

Here is a link to the rules.

https://www.dmvrscca.org/wp-content/...doc_latest.pdf

Schedule
https://www.dmvrscca.org/club-racing-schedule/

And if anyone is interested, You will need a CT license. Join our facebook group - DMVR SCCA,or message me here. I will need to have the app filled out with your track experience, and I can get you either a novice of full liscense from there.

As far as NASA, (Love the TT program) I will be shooting for TT5, but will likely try to keep the car TTD legal for this year, so that if the count will allow it, I have a chance at tires and other contingency. I really know nothing about the 1 series yet, but it could do well in TT4, epecially if you focused on ditching weight. That is actually what I am going to do for 5 as well. Not going to do anything to add power this year. I'd like to end up under 3000, so have to stay under 200 avg. hp.

Last edited by bionicbelly; 12-08-2017 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #9
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicbelly View Post
It is going to be a MidDiv series. (and awesome. )

Some guys from DMVR put it together, and basically, it will be a CT series at Iowa Speedway, RPM, Hallet, and Topeka. The CT's will be run on the same days as the regional/majors races.

Here is a link to the rules.

https://www.dmvrscca.org/wp-content/...doc_latest.pdf

Schedule
https://www.dmvrscca.org/club-racing-schedule/

And if anyone is interested, You will need a CT license. Join our facebook group - DMVR SCCA,or message me here. I will need to have the app filled out with your track experience, and I can get you either a novice of full liscense from there.

As far as NASA, (Love the TT program) I will be shooting for TT5, but will likely try to keep the car TTD legal for this year, so that if the count will allow it, I have a chance at tires and other contingency. I really know nothing about the 1 series yet, but it could do well in TT4, epecially if you focused on ditching weight. That is actually what I am going to do for 5 as well. Not going to do anything to add power this year. I'd like to end up under 3000, so have to stay under 200 avg. hp.
Gotcha. I just started looking at TT5 WRT the 128 (the NB Miata I've got will end up better off in TT6 for a number of reasons when those rules come out, rather than going silly to make it a 5 car). The car could be pretty streetable (3100 w/driver) with current power levels (242/221, so would end up around 220 avg based on the 5 formula, maybe a touch less, or could easily run heavier than that...) I'm curious what your plans are for brakes/cooling. I've looked into (briefly) aftermarket rads + oil coolers, but since I actually haven't taken the 128 on track, nto sure how big of a deal it would be. I'd imagine based on oil/coolant temps I saw back when I ran the car at ProSolos, it would be a big one. Also really tiny (300mm) brakes. Maybe not such a big deal for TT use.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 04:33 PM   #10
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

As far as brakes, I am staying with stock. I am a big proponent of lower rotational mass. I will be adding ducting, and using carbotech pads. The z3 has tiny brakes, And weighs the same. Never had any fade, and I generally made my money under braking in that car. For the oil temps, I doubt I will be doing anything. I will see how it goes, but I didn't need any on the z. Different motor for sure. probably do a CSS rad, but only because I need a radiator anyway.
Appreciate 0