BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #1
MPower1910
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
Angry Advice Needed!! Dealer Screwed me Over

Hey guys... I'm pretty upset with a recent experience at my local BMW Dealership. I apologize in advance for the length of story, but I want to be as detailed as possible.

So it all started with me needing an oil change and an inspection done to figure out why I was getting a service engine light. Turns out service engine light is due to an O2 sensor issue (not related to the story). Oil change was completed without issue, and before picking up the car, the dealership calls me and says "hey we noticed your right cornering light is malfunctioning, would you like us to fix it for $X?" The price was reasonable and I was tired of the notification every time I started the car up so I said sure, go for it. This is where my sad story begins.....

I came to pick up the car after work, after it was already dark out. Before leaving the lot, I notice I now have an adaptive headlight error. I immediately turn around and express my concern to my SA and he says "leave the car with him and they'll take a look at it." I get a call the next day and they explain to me that there's moisture in the headlight, along with standing water near my adaptive headlight module. I'm obviously disappointed in this and expressed that they were the only ones to ever touch my headlight during my ownership and they also happened to run the car through the wash, which is the likely reason that water got in the light after they replaced the bulb. Keep in mind I've never had any headlight errors (aside from cornering light malfunction which I understand is common) or moisture problems prior to visiting the dealer. The SA denies any responsibility for the problem and after going back and forth, I give up, realizing that my headlight still works just fine and I planned to have the adaptive headlight error coded out since I don't care for that feature. I thought that would be the end of my problems, but so they continue about 1-2 weeks later....

After washing the car, I drive around a bit during the day, notice that there's more moisture in my headlight (small world problems). Then as the sun sets, my low beams kick on automatically, except my passenger side doesn't and I get a low beam error.... That was my oh sh*t moment. The next day I call the dealership and again express my frustration with the fact that now another component of my headlight has failed and I believe them to be at fault. They again deny responsibility, even go as far to say that because of the LUX angel eye upgrade I have in the light, they can't do much about the issue, even though they created it!!!!

The dealer ends up asking for me to drop the car off so they can take another look. I don't receive a call for 4 days and finally receive a call today. They explain to me that they've pulled the bumper off, taken the headlight out, and have now noticed that my xenon module is also water damaged, explaining why my low beam is no longer functioning. They offer to replace both the headlight and the xenon module at a reduced parts cost and cover labor, and I refute this saying I should have no expense since I didn't cause any issue, nor did I have any major issues prior to visiting the dealership. I've been back and forth with them, both SA and service manager, both people don't seem to care.

At the end of all this my options are to fork over $1.3k in parts to fix the car, or they can put it all back together at no cost and I still have a broken xenon module and headlight. It seems like I have no other choice but to fix the car, but this is also my reasoning for sharing my story in hopes that maybe someone has advice on something else I can do to have them cover this or if I should take this up to BMW (if that's even a thing?). I have a half a mind to just pay it and forget them and never go back and get past this, but I can barely afford something like this nor do I think I should have to pay for it. If you think I'm in the wrong on this, I'd love to hear why (genuinely). Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited by MPower1910; 02-20-2019 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2019, 09:11 PM   #2
olds350
Needs a long road trip...
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e91, '13 e88, '19 golf R

I have the halogen lights in my 128, but I've heard those xenons are stupid expensive to repair/replace. One local guy in my car club took a recent buy back to carmax. Right at 4k to repair. Reading this I can sort of see the dealers point, it may actually have broken while at the dealer.

My opinion, but at $1300, I'd consider having it done just so everything works. Other route is to buy the parts and DIY. Hard call, your money and frustration...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 09:42 PM   #3
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

IMHO, do it yourself. Go to ebay and get the parts, spend 2 hours to change them. Save big $$$.
      02-20-2019, 09:46 PM   #4
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

The cornering light cover is on the top of the assembly.
The back cover is where you go in to put the halo bulb in.
That to me means you've never removed the cornering cover and they did and didn't put it back properly.

Keep on them. They have insurance for these very reasons, mistakes.
If need be, keep taking your frustration higher up the chain.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 09:53 PM   #5
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Keep on them. They have insurance for these very reasons, mistakes.
If need be, keep taking your frustration higher up the chain.
^^This^^

Contact BMWNA if you have to. Dealers are supposed to be accountable.
      02-20-2019, 10:09 PM   #6
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
That to me means you've never removed the cornering cover and they did and didn't put it back properly...
Good luck proving that in court. I agree with check the prices elsewhere and do the job yourself. Yes you are screwed. Good luck
      02-21-2019, 06:44 AM   #7
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Don't mean to pile on, but you should have never let things go when the problem with the headlight occurred at the pickup at the dealership. It's a well known and documented problem that these headlights are highly sensitive with moisture penetrations. You have just cause to pin them as being responsible as they were messing with the headlights and ran your car through their car wash. All of this is clear evidence they are responsible. And one of the rare cases of having the dealer wash your car being of benefit. Because I always tell my dealer not to wash my car. The last time they did it, there were faint scratch marks on the hood. Had I been in your situation, I would have had a tougher time proving they were responsible.

And the other thing you did which added to the misery was leaving the headlight alone after knowing there was moisture penetration and then proceeding to wash your car yourself. Should have gotten to the bottom of the moisture issue before subjecting your car to more water.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 07:11 AM   #8
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Since my car went out of the "free service" period it has not been back to the dealer. The one time I didn't fix it myself I had it towed to an independent on my side of town (dealer is on the other side of town and thus inconvenient). They may still make a mistake but they don't wash the car so that wouldn't happen and their labor rates are lower.

I never use a dealer for anything other than a recall or warranty. I might some day if I cannot find an independent that can do what needs done but that is unlikely.
      02-21-2019, 07:45 AM   #9
bobdavisnpf
Hapless Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E88 135i, '89 E30 vert

If you can stand the stress and angst, it'll be interesting and informative to learn how this goes as you head up the BMW chain. Doing your own mod is like a get-out-of-it-free card to dealers and to regionals for every maker out there - and for that matter most indy's. That softens your position but shouldn't negate it.
Their offer to sell parts at cost and to eat the labor sounds earnest and a good-faith play from the usual playbook. It'll help to show appreciation for their willingness to concede this. I've had numerous such repairs done by Toyota and Chevy dealers over the years. Showing appreciation for their concession while politely requesting they still press my claim to Regional has helped me get a larger rebate from Regional (on a Gen1 Prius main battery) but has resulted in no further adjustment more often than not.
The hardest part for me is when a dealer or regional office won't budge when I'm nice about it. I can be irate if I have to, I guess, but I'll invariably hold against them that they made me go there.
      02-21-2019, 09:13 AM   #10
MPower1910
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
Update for you guys:

I appreciate the feedback. I contacted BMW NA and explained the situation to them over the phone. I was informed that all they could do was file a “formal customer complaint” to the dealership which would then be “reviewed internally”. I asked for more clarification on that and was told that the general manager or whoever is high up on the ladder at the dealership would receive the complaint I filed and review it.

I can’t help but feel like if it’s being reviewed by another person at the same dealership, I’m going to get the same end result.

I just left a voicemail with the service manager’s boss (I forget his exact title) and will wait to hear back from him. I also let him know in the voicemail that I have already contacted BMW NA so hopefully that’ll scare him a bit? I don’t know. Anyway I’ll keep this thread updated as things progress.....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #11
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

Look you need to learn something about auto repairs. Whose fault was it? The dealer, you, or God? You will never win something like this simply because you don't have enough evidence to prove your case.

The dealer will seldom admit to anything unless you can catch him in the act damaging your car. That's why it's important to review the car quickly after any service is done. I often point out to the dealer that there isn't any damage to the body previously noting just how careful they are moving cars around.

If you don't want to pay for the repair and can't win your argument, you'll have no recourse except fixing it yourself maybe with used parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 11:51 AM   #12
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower1910 View Post
Update for you guys:

I appreciate the feedback. I contacted BMW NA and explained the situation to them over the phone. I was informed that all they could do was file a “formal customer complaint” to the dealership which would then be “reviewed internally”. I asked for more clarification on that and was told that the general manager or whoever is high up on the ladder at the dealership would receive the complaint I filed and review it.

I can’t help but feel like if it’s being reviewed by another person at the same dealership, I’m going to get the same end result.

I just left a voicemail with the service manager’s boss (I forget his exact title) and will wait to hear back from him. I also let him know in the voicemail that I have already contacted BMW NA so hopefully that’ll scare him a bit? I don’t know. Anyway I’ll keep this thread updated as things progress.....
You're right. The person reviewing your complaint is someone at the dealership. Depending on if they really care about complaints filed in this manner will dictate the outcome. I remember when I filled out the post sales survey from BMW NA on my sales experience purchasing my car. I lit into the whole process and my salesman. I got a call from BMW NA and then they contacted the general manager for the dealership. Eventually, the general manager did call me but I never sync'd up with him after calling him back and leaving a voice mail twice.

The issue you're going to run into with how BMW here is set up is the dealerships are independently run franchises. BMW NA really has no real pull on pushing a dealer to do something.

I personally think you'll probably have more results if it goes that far to contact your local BBB. And I'm not all that high on what the BBB can really do either. But I think you'll probably get further going that route.

Also a good rapport with your service adviser can go a long way. I have a good one with my current SA and the one before. They both know how anal I am with my car. And I've had two mishaps with my car under their care. One was a significant scratch on my hood from what appears to be the tech not being careful when he was replacing a wiper blade. My SA took the car back in and had their detail shop buff out the scratch. The second incident was when I had the car in for service and there was a crack in the clear plastic lens for the gauge cluster. It was tiny but can be easily seen. The SA had a chat with the service manager about this and they ended up covering a whole new gauge cluster along with the hours of coding required to program in the new cluster.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #13
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Sounds like they're a bunch of assholes at your dealer and they know they messed up. Why else would they offer to give you reduced parts and labor? Reason is they know they screwed up and are trying to make good on it with as little cost to them as possible. I'd keep arguing. $1300 is a lot of money!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 07:21 AM   #14
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Sounds like they're a bunch of assholes at your dealer and they know they messed up. Why else would they offer to give you reduced parts and labor? Reason is they know they screwed up and are trying to make good on it with as little cost to them as possible. I'd keep arguing. $1300 is a lot of money!
They also may be offering him some goodwill to placate him and keep his business.

The OP doesn't offer a very convincing case to support his argument the dealer is at fault. As for assholes, many of you are prime examples. Most dealers or independents wouldn't want any of you as customers.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2019, 07:33 AM   #15
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Don't have any advice to give other than, keep fighting the bastards.
I've taken mine to three dealers in my vicinity over the years. What I've learned is.....they're all incompetent crooks. I haven't used them in years other then doing extended warranty work. I wrench myself or one of two trustworthy indys nearby.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
Gangplank1539.50
      02-22-2019, 07:38 AM   #16
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep

I always go to the dealer who offers free coffee and chocolate chip cookies!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #17
PA135ii
seeking salvation
Rep
Drives: 18 Camaro SS 08 CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jose View Post
I always go to the dealer who offers free coffee and chocolate chip cookies!
Then you would be visiting a Toyota dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #18
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep

Wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135ii View Post
Then you would be visiting a Toyota dealer.
We have two BMW dealers in my area. One has guy whose only job is to bake cookies and make sure there always a plentiful supply of them out for the customers. He even has a very sophisticated coffee machine and K-Cups that provides a wide variety of beverages.

Now the other dealer is a real Scrooge. He only offers coffee, no cookies. As far as the quality of their service, it is a toss up.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 06:12 AM   #19
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
My suggestion would be to keep moving up the chain at the dealer asking to talk to their manager. If they left open the lights and damaged them they should be willing to replace & repair the damage.
      02-24-2019, 05:30 PM   #20
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
My suggestion would be to keep moving up the chain at the dealer asking to talk to their manager. If they left open the lights and damaged them they should be willing to replace & repair the damage.
Explain in detail what you mean by left open the lights.
      02-24-2019, 05:51 PM   #21
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Explain in detail what you mean by left open the lights.
Didn't put the cover on correctly causing water ingress.
      02-24-2019, 06:03 PM   #22
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Membership in BMWCCA is extremely cheap for what they offer. The Club has 3 ombudsman who will go to bat for you so you're not alone in your dispute resolution. One in Ma, one in Tx and 3rd in Fl.
Appreciate 0