BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Landshark Automotive ...STAY AWAY!

Landshark Automotive, located in Natick, MA, is NOT the place to trust your cherished BMW to. I KNOW this from experience.

Please see below for a copy of the email I have written and sent today to Landshark Automotive. I have yet to receive a response.

Dear Landshark Automotive:

I was thrilled to have found you initially. I thought I had discovered a shop to create a long relationship with. One that would be able to provide sound guidance and, most importantly, install a complete suspension conversion capably. I could not have been more wrong.

I have a few basic questions for you:

When I spoke with you about the AST Suspension components that were part of the suspension conversion you were to install, I asked you specifically to take proper measurements to ensure that I would be able to get the ride height drop I wanted. Why did you neglect to do this? And, in the off chance that you took all proper measurements prior to installation, why did you continue the installation with the helper springs on when you should have known they needed to be removed?

I provided the correct M3 front headlight regulating rod to you. This piece is/was required to maintain factory spec. aiming of the headlights. Upon investigation, I realized that you neglected to install this component. Why did you leave the E82 rod on, when the M3 rod was required and provided?

After you noted that my vendor had sent an incorrect rear headlight bracket, you made a bracket to get me out the door. You stated confidently and clearly to me that, although you would order it, I did not need the factory bracket. Further, that I’d be fine leaving it as is. Since leaving your shop it has become obvious that the vertical aim of my headlights is way off. Why did you suggest that your “solution” was all that I needed?

How could you have let me drive my car off when the threaded damper bolts were clearly rubbing against the bottoms of the corner strut braces? How could you not have noticed that there was an issue here? Why did you not examine the installation of the front assemblies well at all?

I brought you Swift Thrust Sheets to install. My instructions, as well as those indicated on the package via a picture that a child could understand, clearly indicated how to install them properly. Why did you install these improperly? Not only were they installed in the wrong spots, at times around the helper springs, but they were also installed backwards in some spots, with the resin sheet on the bottom. Why did you do this?

Why did you insist that Thrust Sheets do nothing when I confronted you on this particular matter? This is especially curious as you have no idea what they really are or how to install them. Why?

Why did you put down my suspension choice and claim that AST is “crap” when the vast majority of knowledgeable racers and shops know it’s considerably better than the standard KW parts you recommend?

Why did you completely over-torque my wheel lugs?

Why did you tell me that I knew nothing and was “just a forum guy?” I’m especially interested in this considering all aforementioned. It’s weird. I seem to know much more than you on a number of issues. And, you “run” a shop!

Because of you:

* I am now left having to remove and reinstall the entire front assemblies to take the helper springs off.
* I must purchase and install a new set of thrust sheets because you ruined them by installing them improperly.
* I am left with damaged corner strut braces.
* I must go through the process of setting ride height again.
* I had to install the provided and correct headlight sensor assembly parts
* I have to live with the fact that I paid you.
* I am completely motivated to let the world know what a hack shop you have.

Why? Because YOU ARE INCOMPETENT, IGNORANT, RUDE, UNEDUCATED and NEGLIGENT! Congratulations.

I look forward to doing all I can as "just a forum guy" to steer business away from you. I'd be doing a real disservice to the thousands of regional "just forum guys" if I were to do anything but.

You are a complete hack.

So, obviously, my experience with Landshark was anything but horrific. There is absolutely no excuse for what transpired with them. All evidence points to them being complete hacks. There is no evidence to the contrary.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and STAY AWAY from LANDSHARK AUTOMOTIVE!

Last edited by JBW; 05-22-2010 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
if you paid by labor by credit card, im sure you can recoup some of this by calling your CC company and letting them know what happened
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Hmmm. Seems AST could be responsible for some of your issues, if you read this VERY similar slam post on BRRacing: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388448

JBW, did you try to work anything out with the shop yet? You did not mention if you did, but if you have not, you certainly should. I have only heard of positive things of Dimitri, but have no first hand experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 04:08 AM   #4
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
if you paid by labor by credit card, im sure you can recoup some of this by calling your CC company and letting them know what happened
I'm looking into it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Hmmm. Seems AST could be responsible for some of your issues, if you read this VERY similar slam post on BRRacing: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388448

JBW, did you try to work anything out with the shop yet? You did not mention if you did, but if you have not, you certainly should. I have only heard of positive things of Dimitri, but have no first hand experience.
That BRracing post, written by me, explained the vendor/purchase side of this story. The installation shop side of this story is entirely different. The vendor was ultimately responsible for providing the correct, as they described, "bolt-on" assemblies that would meet my desired ride height, etc. The shop was responsible to follow my directions and ensure, via proper measurements, that all would go on with no issues. (They confirmed that they would in fact do this.) Then, install all items properly, inspect that there were no issues, etc. These are two separate parties with different responsibilities altogether. They both failed.

I went back to the shop to have the issues remedied. But, when pointing out all the issues, in the mildest and friendliest manner, I was met with an absolutely bad attitude. They took no responsibility whatsoever. I left the shop, never to return.

Dimitri handles the communication side of things only. It's Lenny that "runs" the shop. It's his place. Lenny positioned himself as fully "race prep. capable," which is exactly what I was looking for. From my experience, he clearly did not have the talent needed and/or just didn't care very much. I should have known when I dropped the car off to turn around immediately as Lenny put down my suspension and exhaust choices as soon as I began discussing them with him. (I'll never frequent any establishment again that has that kind of attitude from the start.)

Last edited by JBW; 05-22-2010 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBW View Post
That BRracing post, written by me, explained the vendor/purchase side of this story.
Oh man! I'm sorry. Here I go and read it, and not realize who was telling the story. I was thinking it was somebody else with a very similar issue. My bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Oh man! I'm sorry. Here I go and read it, and not realize who was telling the story. I was thinking it was somebody else with a very similar issue. My bad.
No problem larryn!

I appreciate your attention and thoughts.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

To anyone interested, I just learned of ANOTHER problem!

My car went into my new shop this morning. I chose German Performance Service (http://2002racing.com/) in Brighton, MA. The guy that owns and runs this shop formerly ran the Turner Motorsport race team, during a number of championship years, and is currently involved in ALMS as the chassis engineer/lead technician and race strategist for Black Swan Racing. BTW, they WON the ALMS race (GTC class) this past weekend! I went into this shop feeling very confident for sure!

Anyway, I asked that my car be FULLY inspected, for obvious reasons. It turns out that Landshark Automotive did not install my front sway bar properly. As such, an end link has been badly bent and needs to be replaced.

As stated, Landshark Automotive is incompetent. DO NOT GO THERE! SERIOUSLY! They can't even install a sway bar properly! WTF! How does a shop like this stay in business?! STAY. AWAY!

Last edited by JBW; 05-24-2010 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
wow man, that could have been worse if not found out in time
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I hear you!

If not for the fact that I generally believe anything nowadays, I wouldn't believe they could screw this installation up this bad. It's amazing.

I am seeking a refund. I'm just waiting for the bill to fix it all. Then, an email will be sent asking for a refund and Visa will become involved as necessary.

What a bunch of HACKS! FFFFFFFFFFF' Landshark Automotive!

STAY AWAY! DANGER! DANGER! DO NOT GO TO LANDSHARK AUTOMOTIVE!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #10
svp1818
Rep
Drives: M240i Cab

is there anything more frustrating?? you spend your time and money researching the right place and then this kind of thing happens. Pursue the CC company to get your money back. Good luck with that- use facts and be persistent and remind them youre their customer here.
      06-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #11
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svp1818 View Post
is there anything more frustrating?? you spend your time and money researching the right place and then this kind of thing happens. Pursue the CC company to get your money back. Good luck with that- use facts and be persistent and remind them youre their customer here.
The saga continues still. I am in fact disputing the charge. And, am fairly confident I'll be reimbursed fully. Time will tell.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 07:58 AM   #12
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, the story comes to a (somewhat) happy conclusion...

I received a FULL refund from Visa today! Landshark was clearly in the wrong, Visa did their job admirably and I have been reimbursed for ALL monies that were paid to Landshark Automotive.

I'll say it again, for VERY GOOD REASON...

STAY AWAY FROM LANDSHARK AUTOMOTIVE!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #13
dragon1761
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14

pics!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #14
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1761 View Post
pics!!!
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400322
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

so the money you got reimbursed, is that less or more than the repair bill
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #16
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Considering that they can still challenge the ruling, I'll leave that question open. Suffice it to say considering the repair bill (including labor and parts), car rentals and my time ($), I'm in the red. That being said, they made no money from me at all. I got every cent back from those hacks.

The most important thing is that it's all set now. And, I'll be completing the transformation with a new Wavetrac LSD within a couple weeks or so.

The car is amazing. I'm very happy with all that I did.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #17
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Then hopefully we will get a full review.
I had to put the LSD install off until this coming spring. Hopefully, I'll get it in prior to the track day season starting up. I'll post thoughts at some point after.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #18
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Glad to read that you got your money back from those hacks! It's incredibly frustrating to pay for a service that was not done properly.
      10-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #19
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My E90 View Post
Glad to read that you got your money back from those hacks! It's incredibly frustrating to pay for a service that was not done properly.
Sure is!

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #20
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

FWIW, I've been going to Landshark for years (since they started) with 3 different BMWs for *routine maintenance* and never had a problem.
Appreciate 0