BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #23
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Hey, I had to give you the benefit of the doubt! Now, is there some joke here I'm missing? Are you embarrassed you paid extra and got less? In lieu of an explanation I'm gonna go with that last one.
Go with what ever you want, troll.
      11-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #24
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Go with what ever you want, troll.
Oh, I'm trolling BIG TIME. Let's recap: the OP asked which tunes are available. When Dinan was brought up I mentioned 2 things:

1) it makes less power than everything out there except PPK
2) it costs a shitload (over $1k)

Anyway, I'm still waiting to hear why you bought Dinan in spite of these 2 disadvantages.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 05:26 PM   #25
1traitor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1traitor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Quote:
I'm in socal I'll have to look that up thanks. So dinan can do the bench flash for me then I can get mhd? Or are you just saying to get dinan
The Dinan is a flash, but they can do it with the ECU still in the car, which is good as the ECU is underneath the intake manifold on our cars. If you get MHD flash, it would replace the Dinan flash.

It is not cheap, and the results are not nearly as high as some others. Being in SoCal, probably many dealers you can have do it.

It is what I plan on going with for my '13. There is a dealer only 2 hours away from me.

http://www.dinancars.com/product/d90...ries&mid=1139/
Do you know how much the dinan is ? I believe last I checked I had to call to get a price on which honestly I'm kinda lazy to do lol
Do I have to actually click the link for you, that I provided for you?

I'm freaking blind lmao I'm sorry dude
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 06:07 PM   #26
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I too am considering a Dinan. No it doesn't make the most power, but it also doesn't invalidate your warranty either. Just because the other tunes make more power don't necessarily mean they are better for everyone. For me, warranty and longevity/reliability is just as important adding the performance. Dinan is even installed at some BMW dealers like a PPK can be. If Dinan thought they could provide a 400hp tune without sacrificing factory equipment reliability, they would probably do it. So that kind of tells you that the other tunes that make more power you will undoubtedly have to replace and upgrade parts to support the tune.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #27
1traitor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I too am considering a Dinan. No it doesn't make the most power, but it also doesn't invalidate your warranty either. Just because the other tunes make more power don't necessarily mean they are better for everyone. For me, warranty and longevity/reliability is just as important adding the performance. Dinan is even installed at some BMW dealers like a PPK can be. If Dinan thought they could provide a 400hp tune without sacrificing factory equipment reliability, they would probably do it. So that kind of tells you that the other tunes that make more power you will undoubtedly have to replace and upgrade parts to support the tune.
I agree but 1,300 just for a flash tune is so much money it makes it not even worth it for me sadly
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 06:48 PM   #28
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
warranty and longevity/reliability
Warranty is generally not an issue on other tunes...you uninstall and put the stock tune back on before taking the car in, stealer doesn't care about what they don't know and life goes on.

If your tuner is competent, longevity and reliability depends on maintenance and your use of the car. Unless you're racing the car with r-comps (oil starvation issues) and constantly banging off redline your use of the car will be light enough that any tune by any competent tuner will be fine no matter HOW much you "street race".
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 07:06 PM   #29
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
I agree but 1,300 just for a flash tune is so much money it makes it not even worth it for me sadly
It all depends on your accepted level of risk. The $1300 includes the warranty which none of the other tuners provide. If your motor goes kablooey, it's on you. $1300 isn't that much money when you're talking about a BMW. If the peace of mind and ability to be open about actually having a tune on your car isn't worth it then, yes the alternatives are there.

If I had bought an 08-09 out of warranty and only paid maybe $15k for my 135i, then I'd probably do a JB4 or something like that too. If I mess up the car, I can walk away from it without feeling too bad. I bought a CPO 2013 so maintaining the warranty is important to me.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2016, 10:12 PM   #30
1traitor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It all depends on your accepted level of risk. The $1300 includes the warranty which none of the other tuners provide. If your motor goes kablooey, it's on you. $1300 isn't that much money when you're talking about a BMW. If the peace of mind and ability to be open about actually having a tune on your car isn't worth it then, yes the alternatives are there.

If I had bought an 08-09 out of warranty and only paid maybe $15k for my 135i, then I'd probably do a JB4 or something like that too. If I mess up the car, I can walk away from it without feeling too bad. I bought a CPO 2013 so maintaining the warranty is important to me.
That's true that's exactly how I bought my 13
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #31
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Quote:
warranty and longevity/reliability
Warranty is generally not an issue on other tunes...you uninstall and put the stock tune back on before taking the car in, stealer doesn't care about what they don't know and life goes on.

If your tuner is competent, longevity and reliability depends on maintenance and your use of the car. Unless you're racing the car with r-comps (oil starvation issues) and constantly banging off redline your use of the car will be light enough that any tune by any competent tuner will be fine no matter HOW much you "street race".
If it is flashed back to stock, the dealer can see how many times the PCM has been flashed. Try explaining that to your dealer if you come in with a blown engine.
Appreciate 2
Cavpilot2k1025.00
Esteban43674.50
      11-10-2016, 08:41 AM   #32
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Dinan, while pricey, and more conservative than many tunes, is the only flash available for late model 135s that I am aware of that does not require pulling your ECU and shipping it to a tuner. Also Cobb is not an option for late model 135s.
MHD sounds great, but it is new, unproven, and again, you have to pull the ECU out of your car and ship it to them to bench tune the first time, so you lose your car for several days minimum, unless you happen to be close to an MHD tuner.

If there are other flash tune options that you can drive to a dealer or tuner and have installed, I am all ears.

And yes, a dealership CAN tell how many times your car has been flashed, so if you have a warranty and run into a major issue and they check, they may deny coverage. Most people don't care because warranties are scarce on these cars these days, but I just had my entire transmission replaced under CPO warranty. I shudder to think how much that would have cost out of pocket, so I for one, will be keeping my warranty intact with my Dinan tune (my dealership is the one who installed it, so they won't give me an ounce of hassle about it).

That is why I went with Dinan. Could I have more power if I had wanted my daily driver car to be down for up to two weeks while I sent parts off to be reflashed? Sure. Do I want the hassle? No.

But to each his own. If that doesn't sound like it's for you, well congratulations, you happen to have a different priority set than me (and many other satisfied Dinan customers). That doesn't make you or me smarter, savvier, or in any way better than anyone else, just different.
Appreciate 3
      11-10-2016, 10:19 AM   #33
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Hey! I got the badge. What more could one want out of life?

Seriously, i have gone with flash tunes on multiple vehicles. Gives me power and reliability that I am comfortable with.

See I am not as cool or as smart as those who find enjoyment in abusing those who make choices different from theirs.
Appreciate 3
Esteban43674.50
Cavpilot2k1025.00