BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-02-2017, 01:55 AM   #45
d k
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWless for few weeks

Youre going to be hard pressed to find anything that grips better than the RE71R.
They have hoosier level grip.

Just not much heat capacity.

I do time attack in one of my cars and that is an amazing tire.
They dont like to get hot, so if youre a sloppy driver then they might bet be good choice for you.

Before you decide on the stagger, make sure you really know what the car is doing....

Twitchy is not accurate enough of a description.
Any car can feel twitchy if not driven properly...

What does the car do in a long constant radius turn??

D
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2017, 07:30 AM   #46
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

At the risk of bringing this thread back on topic , can anyone using the PS4 comment on what they think of them? I'm mostly interested in hearing about the dry traction (especially the cornering, acceleration capability, and responsiveness) and ride comfort. Would be also be great to hear how the compare to the PSS many of us are familiar with.
Appreciate 2
      06-02-2017, 10:18 PM   #47
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
At the risk of bringing this thread back on topic , can anyone using the PS4 comment on what they think of them? I'm mostly interested in hearing about the dry traction (especially the cornering, acceleration capability, and responsiveness) and ride comfort. Would be also be great to hear how the compare to the PSS many of us are familiar with.
I put 255/35 275/35 PS4S on. Was actually coming from the original PS2's (4000 miles on the car) so I don't have a ton of experience. I will say that they do certainly offer better traction. Not nearly as squirmy on hard acceleration. Road noise is similar. I'm sure it has to do with both the wider section up front and that they are noted to demonstrate this characteristic but I can feel less initial turn-in feedback, which is unfortunate.
      06-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #48
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

The quick turn-in is about the only thing I really like about the PS2. Kind of a bummer to hear the PS4 reduces it. From what I understand, the PSS does this to our cars as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #49
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3

Anyone else running them yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 09:59 PM   #50
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
Anyone else running them yet?
yup been running them as a daily and monthly on a track, they're alright as an overall compromise. my previous experience is just on ps2's, so cant help regarding the pss's. in terms of overall feel, i don't really notice a difference between the two. for me, the ps4's have less road noise if anything, though this might just be cause they are fresh . i'll probably be jumping to cup2's after i've worn these down, and then moving on to a dedicated track set, oh and just running 245/265's on a stock car

honestly i think if your looking for replacements for the ps2's, the pss's and ps4's are just normal upgrades, nothing spectacular, if your not worried about driving in wet weather i'd go with something with a lower treadwear for max dry grip, just my opinion

Last edited by digwm1; 08-13-2017 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2017, 10:54 PM   #51
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by digwm1 View Post
yup been running them as a daily and monthly on a track, they're alright as an overall compromise. my previous experience is just on ps2's, so cant help regarding the pss's. in terms of overall feel, i don't really notice a difference between the two. for me, the ps4's have less road noise if anything, though this might just be cause they are fresh . i'll probably be jumping to cup2's after i've worn these down, and then moving on to a dedicated track set, oh and just running 245/265's on a stock car

honestly i think if your looking for replacements for the ps2's, the pss's and ps4's are just normal upgrades, nothing spectacular, if your not worried about driving in wet weather i'd go with something with a lower treadwear for max dry grip, just my opinion
Thanks mate

That's what I'm tossing up at the moment. I currently have POS2's on the front and PSS' on the rear, and the rear out-grips the front causing some understeer, or at least that's what it feels like. I'm assuming the PS2's are quite old though. So I was tossing up whether to throw some PS4's on, or just go the whole hog and pop Cup 2's on.

My concern is that I do like to spin the rears up every now and again, and don;t want to ruin the car with excessive road noise and tram-lining.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 05:28 PM   #52
Luca335
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

It is time for new shoes, I am thinking with my OEM 19' rims no mod:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

front 255/35ZR19
rear 275/35ZR19

If anyone have this combo, please describe your experience with these tires on the 1M. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #53
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Since this thread has the most and latest information about alignments, I thought I'll ask here what are people's thoughts about running slight toe out on the front with standard sways, springs, dampers, top hats. Camber plates will go in later once I clean the bearing that somehow has a lot of crud in it (yay buying used parts as "barely used").

I'm going with 245/35 & 265/35 PSC2s on OEM 19s for now and plan to track it as soon as front camber plates are in.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #54
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
Thanks mate

That's what I'm tossing up at the moment. I currently have POS2's on the front and PSS' on the rear, and the rear out-grips the front causing some understeer, or at least that's what it feels like. I'm assuming the PS2's are quite old though. So I was tossing up whether to throw some PS4's on, or just go the whole hog and pop Cup 2's on.

My concern is that I do like to spin the rears up every now and again, and don;t want to ruin the car with excessive road noise and tram-lining.
I can't believe how many " car guys" still have the original POS 2 ( I like how you did that!) on the car. Seriously.. these are getting to the point where they likely are a HAZARD. OEM tires for this car were barely made in the current DECADE.... in 2010.

it's 2018 now of this writing.. if you have EIGHT YEAR old tires on your vehicle.. you need to have your "car guy card " pulled. Your tires are likely close to dry rotting and the potential for a failure is increasing by the day.
Appreciate 1
1M Tex240.00
      01-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #55
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I know... Can't believe the dealership certified this for your equivalent of CPO and a friend also missed it when checking it out for me. Certainly caught me by surprise when the rubber engraving was a little different on a closer look compared to the rear PSS.
Coming from an AWD background you always assume they're all the same on all four, bad habits die hard.
That said, I never had a problem with the front end and never saw cracks. Probably climate advantages. Other than that, definitely no excuses.

It's actually a little funny to me, phunky_monkey and I have the same problem and almost the same resolution. LOL. Says a lot about the majority of local 1st owners imo in Australia... They truly were taking shortcuts to maximise their "investment".

I will have my Cup 2's on this afternoon. You probably need camber plates with this tyre on spirited driving and I definitely do not look forward to them in the wet. Even PSS touching a white painted line is recipe for opposite lock at part throttle 2nd gear in the rain. Cup 2's have barely any tread blocks on the inner contact patch to move around and promote heat up and heat retention let alone dispersion.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2018, 07:42 PM   #56
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
The quick turn-in is about the only thing I really like about the PS2. Kind of a bummer to hear the PS4 reduces it. From what I understand, the PSS does this to our cars as well.
Yes I miss the quick turn in too. Felt great though not actually faster.
Appreciate 0