BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-03-2023, 01:59 PM   #1
Jbizkit
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Back in the saddle

Hi All,

I recently purchased a low milage 2013 135i. Looking for advice on where to start my mods. I previously had an N54 with a few upgrades. Jb4, CAI.

I was thinking of starting with the things I need to have the motor ready before going after power gains: charge pipe, walnut blast, aftermarket intercooler, oil catch can, plugs and coil packs. The car has 57k on it. I want the car ready for added power first. High flow cat, CAI, and tune about all I plan to add until the turbo fails.

Does this sound like a decent approach or will MHD stage 1 work fine with on stage 1 with the stock setup as I add the additional mods.

Input appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 09:18 AM   #2
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Welcome back!! Sounds like a good plan. Around the walnut blast/catch can - The n55 valve cover removes oil mist much better than n54 so carbon build up isn't as big of a problem. I had my n55 walnut blasted around 60k and it was still pretty clean (I run mhd stage 2+ without a catch can); I probably could have waited until 100k and been fine but ymmv. So you may be able to pass on the catch can and wait on the walnut blast.

Also, the stock intake isn't really limiting on the stock turbo, and if you just run an ots map like mhd stage 1 an aftermarket intake can through your maf off and mess with fuel trims - some people get codes, others don't... I'd pass on the intake, or if you get one consider doing a custom tune to go with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 05:10 PM   #3
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Lemans Blue

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I don’t know how your car feels but the biggest thing I felt my 135 lacked was ride and handling. I’d sort those first before adding power. Power is nothing without control
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 01:30 PM   #4
Yert315
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i

Personally, I think 350hp is plenty in this chassis. It already spins tire in stock form. In my opinion, the best driving modification is to add an LSD differential. It is the single best modification I have on my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 08:31 PM   #5
Jbizkit
Registered
Rep

A little more HP would nice, but a little more than stock needed. Maybe a JB4 and high flow at the most... cai for the sound.

Biggest thing I'm noticing is how heavy the steering is and a dead spot when I start to step on the gas. I dont recall these from my N54, but I was younger and had a heavier foot then. My heads been bouncing off the headrest since I picked it up!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 11:43 PM   #6
Goodmanfue
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbizkit View Post
A little more HP would nice, but a little more than stock needed. Maybe a JB4 and high flow at the most... cai for the sound.

Biggest thing I'm noticing is how heavy the steering is and a dead spot when I start to step on the gas. I dont recall these from my N54, but I was younger and had a heavier foot then. My heads been bouncing off the headrest since I picked it up!
I recommend going with MHD. More consistent in terms of power delivery than JB4. The off the shelf tunes are very nice.
I second other opinions that recommend suspension/handling upgrades first. Rear subframe bushings and an lsd really change the car, especially at the limits.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 05:15 PM   #7
Jbizkit
Registered
Rep

So with the mhd, I need the flash tool, the map pack, and the license? Doesnt really spell it out on their website
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 10:56 PM   #8
Goodmanfue
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbizkit View Post
So with the mhd, I need the flash tool, the map pack, and the license? Doesnt really spell it out on their website
Yeah. I purchased their flash tool over the Thor adapter. Then bought their stage 1/1+ map pack and the flash license. I use bimmergeeks pro tool for diagnostics which works with the MHD flash tool.
Appreciate 0