BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #23
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus711 View Post
The very lucrative and innovative car audio industry would disagree with you but i digress...

Yes, no car audio system will be able to compete with a good high-end well-planned home system. But, that's really not the point. Auto manufacturers understand that there has been greater demand for top-notch car audio, that's why many have invested in premium signature brands for their systems, particularly in luxury lines. I personally wish this wasn't the case, because I feel no factory oem system will match or have the flexibility of a good aftermarket system. So, more and more I'm overpaying for a limited system that is a chore to disassemble. But, I understand that I represent a minority.

I hope that the standard system in the 135i is the six speaker system mentioned in some brochures, because it will be easier to take out and hopefully keep costs down. Then I can install the system of my choice which will, for me, sound better and do more than idrive and logic7, and most likely be cheaper. But, as always YMMV.

BMW's 1 series base system is a 10-speaker system. You can THEN upgrade a to a Premium 10-speaker system wither higher wattage and better HU.

You can also option for the HD radio if you want/need.

Replacing a HU for no reason is illogical, such as it would be in the 1 series.

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 10:55 AM   #24
ppDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by needanewcar View Post
thx for the responses. an audiophile system is probably overkill, but the bmw stock components I was not too impressed with, and I probably do not want to pay for their "premium" upgrade. So you think I can leave the stereo interface as is, and just upgrade the speakers and I should be good to go?I'm not looking to fill the trunk with capacitors (ie, pimp my ride style), but even for ~35k$, I would expect a better stereo system than what i've heard so far in other bmws.
it's a conspiracy i tell u. bmw just wants us to listen to the engine roar, not some cheesy radio song
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #25
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Although you can get decent sound in a car, it's pretty obvious that no amount of money is going to make it a true audiophile system. The environment, particularly at speed, is just not very condusive to a superb sounding system.

But that said, I do expect a certain level of satisfaction with a car's sound system. I'm not a fan of tinny speakers, rattles or buzzing. But I also don't see the point of a system that can be heard a block away. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #26
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Just to play devil's advocate, one could argue that the opportunity for tuning/optimizing an audio system is greater in a car, since many parameters (listening room volume and shape, interior materials, listeners' positions, ambient noise, etc.) are all pretty well defined.

The gist is, the cost required to tune and equip a car with components to justify such an effort would not be cost effective, and very, very few car consumers would be willing to pay such a premium. They just pay a large audio group (say HK Int'l) a licensing fee for them to slap their nameplate on some marginal components and call it high end.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 03:03 PM   #27
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by plien69 View Post
Just to play devil's advocate, one could argue that the opportunity for tuning/optimizing an audio system is greater in a car, since many parameters (listening room volume and shape, interior materials, listeners' positions, ambient noise, etc.) are all pretty well defined.

The gist is, the cost required to tune and equip a car with components to justify such an effort would not be cost effective, and very, very few car consumers would be willing to pay such a premium. They just pay a large audio group (say HK Int'l) a licensing fee for them to slap their nameplate on some marginal components and call it high end.
You're absolutely right that there is a huge opportunity for upgrades in car audio. That's part of the reason that there is such a large aftermarket.

I've done major car audio upgrades in the past, but I agree that to get it "Right" would be prohibitively expensive. In comparison to a good home system, I've become rather disenchanted with chasing the "Holy Grail" of car audio.

HK makes some decent equipment, although they initially had some serious quality issues in their Chinese plants. I wish they would do a better job with their car speakers, though.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 03:23 PM   #28
jus711
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
BMW's 1 series base system is a 10-speaker system. You can THEN upgrade a to a Premium 10-speaker system wither higher wattage and better HU.

You can also option for the HD radio if you want/need.
From BMWUSA's 1-series microsite:
Quote:
With a seven-channel, standard 6-speaker or optional 10-speaker playback matrix, delivering 205 watts of power, and 360-degree surround sound, your all-new 1 Series will sound as furious as it feels.
Microsite says one thing and brochure and ordering guide says another so I don't think any of us knows for sure.

As to your other point:
Quote:
Replacing a HU for no reason is illogical, such as it would be in the 1 series.
I have a reason for wanting to replace the hu as I've stated in other posts, and others, like the OP, may have similar wishes. Idrive has been poorly reviewed by many and in my opinion is overpriced, and the stock hu will not have the capabilities or features I would like so I will have to explore other aftermarket options, I don't see how that's "illogical" .
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 04:17 PM   #29
Dunbar
Private
Rep
Drives:

I have yet to hear a decent stock stereo in a BMW, they really seem to cheap out in that department. I would skip the optional $1200 stereo and spend that money in the aftermarket where it will buy you much more. But honestly any amp powering the stock speakers will be a huge improvement (you'd be surprised what clean power will do to cheap speakers.) If you want more bass buy a 5-channel amp and add a sub.

In my younger days I spent over $2k upgrading my cars stereo and I have no desire to do that anymore. But a few hundred bucks for an amp would be a worthwhile upgrade in most new cars. I find that I need to crank my Accord's stereo into distortion on the highway due to the road noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #30
maq
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MTA Monthly Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Durch Tod View Post
The exhaust note is ur stereo open the windows and enjoy!
Engine note > exahust note

But agreed on car noise > stereo.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 04:51 PM   #31
needanewcar
Rep
Drives:

so for about the cost of the upgrade to premium sound package, which after- market components would you suggest to get a "better than decent but not audiophile quality" sound system in your 135?I agree with the Garrett in that I don't want an LCD monitor to break the clean lines of the dash, so I'll probably keep the factory head unit.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 10:30 PM   #32
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
From BMWUSA's 1-series microsite:

Microsite says one thing and brochure and ordering guide says another so I don't think any of us knows for sure.

As to your other point:

I have a reason for wanting to replace the hu as I've stated in other posts, and others, like the OP, may have similar wishes. Idrive has been poorly reviewed by many and in my opinion is overpriced, and the stock hu will not have the capabilities or features I would like so I will have to explore other aftermarket options, I don't see how that's "illogical" .

We are not alking about idrive..!

Why you keep refering to iDrive is beyound me.. You don't need iDrive to have the upgraded stereo.

What features do you need that aren't supplied with the stock or upgraded unit unit..? :iono:

I think your confused.

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 10:46 PM   #33
cuban135i
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 10:52 PM   #34
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuban135i View Post
+100

If I ever saw that in person I wouldn't be able to stop laughing. Kinda like Eric Cartman did with the midget motivational speaker...!

The whole point of an Audio System is to LISTEN to it, not watch it..! I feel sorry for people who have not learned the art of being subtle and having stealth.

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 11:15 AM   #35
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

I was under the impression that the 135i would have a Logic 7 sound system. I thought this setup was of good quality.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 11:18 AM   #36
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
I was under the impression that the 135i would have a Logic 7 sound system. I thought this setup was of good quality.

No, they never use that Name in any of the descriptions. It doesn't have 12 speakers, nor the bigger wattage that LOGIC 7 has.

Which is fine, this car offers less luxury than the 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 11:40 AM   #37
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by needanewcar View Post
so for about the cost of the upgrade to premium sound package, which after- market components would you suggest to get a "better than decent but not audiophile quality" sound system in your 135?I agree with the Garrett in that I don't want an LCD monitor to break the clean lines of the dash, so I'll probably keep the factory head unit.

thanks!
I can tell you what I'm doing to my 135i base audio system if the Navigation system does not force me to get the DSP upgrade:

- replacement of all speakers with Focal components
- replacement of the subs with Earthquake 8" or 10" shallow subs (the 10" will probably require a custom enclosure based on the OEM)
- 2 Alpine PDX amps, PDX-4.100 (4 channel) and the PDX-1.600 (mono channel for the subs) or the Blaupunkt THa 555 PnP (5-channel) with BMW OEM HU/Tuner and OEM amp Blaupunkt adapter harness
- Everything controlled and adjusted with either the Alpine PXE-H650 DSP processor, the Audiocontrol DQL-8 DSP (most probable) or the JBL Fix8 Logic 7 processor. No 3SIXTY.2 or the Cleansweep for me, tried them and was not fully satisfied...

If Navigation forces to use the DSP system then I will need to tap the OEM amps outputs and sum them (all those processors can perform input summing) but I don't like the idea of processing twice a signal in both DSP and amplification.

I think that this will work nicely, full OEM integration and look with full customization and adjustment to my liking while keeping most of the interior space utilization... :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #38
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I can tell you what I'm doing to my 135i base audio system if the Navigation system does not force me to get the DSP upgrade:

- replacement of the subs with Earthquake 8" or 10" shallow subs (the 10" will probably require a custom enclosure based on the OEM)
- 2 Alpine PDX amps, PDX-4.100 (4 channel) and the PDX-1.600 (mono channel for the subs)
- Everything controlled and adjusted with either the Alpine PXE-H650 DSP processor, the Audiocontrol DQL-8 DSP (most probable) or the JBL Fix8 Logic 7 processor. No 3SIXTY.2 or the Cleansweep for me, tried them and was not fully satisfied...

If Navigation forces to use the DSP system then I will need to tap the OEM amps outputs and sum them (all those processors can perform input summing) but I don't like the idea of processing twice a signal in both DSP and amplification.

I think that this will work nicely, full OEM integration and look with full customization and adjustment to my liking while keeping most of the interior space utilization... :w00t:
Wow. Thats some serious sound modification. The only sound that is of importance to me is the engine note. As long as their is ample bass and the sound is clear I'm good. Stock is usually sufficient for me. But I cant say I dont appreciate a sweet set up.
      10-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #39
MontegoTwinTurbo
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6mt

My plans for the audio system in 135 are as follows...
-Downpipe
-Catback
-Windows Down
:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #40
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post

- 2 Alpine PDX amps, PDX-4.100 (4 channel) and the PDX-1.600 (mono channel for the subs) or the Blaupunkt THa 555 PnP (5-channel) with BMW OEM HU/Tuner and OEM amp Blaupunkt adapter harness

+10

Similiar, I am replacing all 10 speakers with top-grade Morel's components. If there isn't enough to drive them, then I will upgrade the amp. I don't like the compressed sound of CleanSweep and Ideally new speakers and more clean wattage is about the best you can do with any system. The only signal that matters is the CD, after that it about high-quality speakers and clean power.

I will leave the Upgraded HU, because I will have every option avail without loosing the stock look. HD radio, MP3, iPhone, etc. All without Nav, which is useless because I can buy a stand-alone for $800.

Again, I cannot see replacing the HU unless you have a fetish for digital flashy lights...!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #41
~AJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
All without Nav, which is useless because I can buy a stand-alone for $800.
Less $ than that, and the stand-alone units get better each year. The top line versions are already better than the factory BMW system.

How did the world get around before the GPS nav systems were invented? Nice but not needed luxury!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 06:52 PM   #42
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Whatever you youngsters do with your car 'audio' is your affair as every new day presents us with fresh choices, but, I'm beggin' ya', please don't play your car 'audio' too damn loud when you drive through my neighborhood. For blocks around you're broadcasting nuthin' but bass with nobody in appreciation of your taste in hip-hop. Thank you.

Let the flames begin...
Attached Images

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 06:49 PM   #43
Garrett
Banned
Rep

+10

Awsome!

Love the pic.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #44
ibeam81