BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-29-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
ThePerfectExposure
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Post City of Newport Beach Sued For Damaging Wheels and Tires worth $8,800

I know this might interest many of you guys since many of you guys have expensive rims and/or slammed to the ground

Quote:
City blamed for destroying chrome rims worth $8,800
Wheels and tires damaged by road conditions, claim says.
By JEFF OVERLEY
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
Comments 70 | Recommend 2

NEWPORT BEACH – You know those movie chase scenes where the sports car zooms over a crest in the road, catches a little air and then keeps speeding along? Doesn't work out so well in real life.

Not if Bernard Steimann's story is true, that is. The 27-year-old Costa Mesa resident has filed a legal claim against the city of Newport Beach, saying a four-inch-tall ledge on a street that was under construction flattened his luxury sedan's tires and destroyed its 20-inch wheels.

Steimann has received loaner wheels for his Mercedes-Benz CLS-550, but to get back rollin' on dubs permanently, he wants $8,836 – the cost of replacing his full chrome Vellano rims and accompanying low-profile tires.

He's also asking for $450 to cover the cost of the vehicle he rented from a friend following the Aug. 7 incident.

According to Steimann's written claim, his fiancee was driving the Mercedes about 20-25 mph at night along Irvine Avenue at Mesa Drive when it hit the uneven section of road.

"It sounded as though the entire car was going to fall apart and (that) I had just driven into a wall," the claim says.

Seconds later, dashboard lights began flashing and an onboard computer stated "severe tire malfunction," leading the fiancee to pull over and call for assistance. In the end, all the wheels were "severely bent/cracked," and air would not stay in any of the tires, the claim says.

In an interview, Steimann said Newport Beach officials haven't formally acted on the claim, which is a required precursor to any lawsuit.

City officials did not immediately have a comment, and it is not clear they are responsible. That road construction project was a county effort, Newport Beach officials said previously.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/c...teimann-wheels
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

I have wondered what would happen if my tire and wheel gets destroyed on public streets because of improper maintenance. after all our local tax dollars go to the city's for things like public works including roads to be maintained. I have heard it is pointless to try to sue the city over things like this because it just get put off over and over and it ends up cost you more than your original claim in legal fees. I hate when the city rips up the streets like they are doing now all over my town and leaves those big 1-2" cuts in the road that feels like you hit something when you go over them. Or the big metal slabs do it as well along with all the rock a asphalt they leave to get kicked up and chip your paint. Pisses me off.
      10-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
In Australia we invoice the local council for damage from potholes to tyres, suspension and wheels.

I ripped a tyre to shreds about 6 months ago from a pothole in my street that is practically unavoidable. I sent the invoice (quote attached), they sent a cheque back and it the hole was filled a few days later.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
jwalker
Private
Rep
Drives:

Funny...I know that intersection quite well as my wife used to live on Mesa drive. They've been working on that intersection for over a year and the pavement there is extremely chewed up.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

wow, i live near newport too
Appreciate 0