BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-14-2007, 12:33 PM   #67
c4r_dr1v3r
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo 156 /Citroen Mehari

Hi Nick! Actually you might be right, although they have the same shape as in the hatchbacks, the lights must have some sort of styling difference on the inside.
Otherwise, why would they still be masked?
Or maybe they wanted to keep it masked but didn't want to disappoint us, leading us think that the shape of the headlights would be different and so they gave away the final shape but still masked the lights... ok, I'm starting to confuse myself! lol

MPower, they look like 18's to me as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 02:46 PM   #68
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
I'm afraid it'll be the 2.8 rather than the real 3.0 which I could definitely be very happy with.

The N52 = 3.0 (325, 328, & 330) as well as the N54 (335 & 535). :wink:

BTW, I was disappointed with the car in last weeks pics (color & wheels did not help), but these are GREAT!

I wonder what Hans had to say about it?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 02:46 PM   #69
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

They look like 18's to me- but hey, apparently I was wrong about the headlight gap.:biggrin:

What I'm struck by in these last batch of photos is how classic the car looks. Timeless might be a better description for it doesn't seem to be linked to an age the way most other Bangle designs are.
No sell-by-date if you see what I mean.
It's a gorgeous design...one of Bangle's best. The M-sport package looks remarkably restrained- they nailed it perfectly. It's aggressive without being over the top.

The other thing is how blazingly fast the 135 is going to be. This is not the car you'll toss the keys to your neighbor for a solo joyride.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 02:51 PM   #70
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
The other thing is how blazingly fast the 135 is going to be. This is not the car you'll toss the keys to your neighbor for a solo joyride.
It should be amazing to see what kind of performance the car can up with. 300+ horsepower in a car this small will be an absolute blast to experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 03:51 PM   #71
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

From what I have heard within a Center Network is that the 135 will be detuned. It will not have the 300hp/300 ft-lbs. torque.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 04:01 PM   #72
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDriver View Post
From what I have heard within a Center Network is that the 135 will be detuned. It will not have the 300hp/300 ft-lbs. torque.
I'm sure nothing a quick ECU reflash can't fix. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #73
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
Ab-so-lutely.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 04:15 PM   #74
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Quote:
That's not too surprising, you just better hope that they do any mechanical changes.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #75
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately it will void the warranty. Once the flash has been piggybacked onto the ECU any BMW Center will see it and automatically report it to BMW NA. Best to hope for the new BMW Performance line to offer a SW update. That will be the only way around it.

See here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...rmance+Catalog

BMW AG and NA were tired of losing money to aftermarket tuners so they have decided to tap into the market. Supposedly more tuning products for additional models will be offered.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 05:42 PM   #76
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately it will void the warranty. Once the flash has been piggybacked onto the ECU any BMW Center will see it and automatically report it to BMW NA. Best to hope for the new BMW Performance line to offer a SW update. That will be the only way around it.

BMW AG and NA were tired of losing money to aftermarket tuners so they have decided to tap into the market. Supposedly more tuning products for additional models will be offered.
That isnt necessarily true. There are a bunch of different tuners that can modify the ECU and leave no evidence of their existence. DMS Automotive and Digitec have both been able to offer such upgrades. Additionally, Dinan would be sure to offer some sort of performance lineup which, of course, is covered under a BMW warranty. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 07:46 PM   #77
Propagator
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I believe a turbo charged car can make a tuner out of a 70 year old retired librarian. Especially since she will be able to get a good extra 20~30HP without any mechanical modification. It really is so tempting.

Which leads me to predict that once this thing's out, this forum will flooded with posts titled "Will a reflash void my warranty?" Ok, maybe not flooded, but I bet we'll see a lot of those for the first couple of years.

And the answer will of course be yes, in practice. Although one can get technical and claim that nothing short of taking your car out of the country will actually VOID the warranty, or that the burden of proof lies on the dealership, in reality if your dealer knows that you had a reflash, you just lost your powertrain warranty. Just hope that they would fix your window regulator without a fight.

Having said that, I have had my reflash for three years now on my WRX and my dealer does not know about it. This of course is largely due to the fact that I had a conservative reflash and therefore my motor's been running like a champ, but I am not sure if there is an easy way for the dealer to detect the kind of reflash that I have.

What I have is not a piggy back, but a little hand held device that loads up different target parameters to the ECU by plugging into the diagnostic port underneath the steering column. When done, you unplug it and keep it in your house. So you can't find anything under the hood. I know there is a way to detect it by running a check on the ECU, but not all dealers can/will do this.

But I digress. The bottom line is, you pay to play. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 08:25 PM   #78
hoefx
Rep
Drives:

Any chance the tape on the headlights is hiding this?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65709880@N00/549922218/

btw... sorry I havent learned how to attach photos.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 09:17 PM   #79
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Hey hoefx, so you think the covering might be the same amber color scheme the 3er have? Never thought of that. You could be onto something.
      06-14-2007, 09:47 PM   #80
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
That isnt necessarily true. There are a bunch of different tuners that can modify the ECU and leave no evidence of their existence. DMS Automotive and Digitec have both been able to offer such upgrades. Additionally, Dinan would be sure to offer some sort of performance lineup which, of course, is covered under a BMW warranty. :wink:

Only repeating what our techs have stated per BMW NA. Furthermore, you might want to research Dinan as that is a very common misconception. BMW NA does not cover repairs/failures caused by Dinan products under BMWs warranty. Dinan covers it under their warranty even when via a BMW Dinan dealer.

Quote:
But I digress. The bottom line is, you pay to play. :biggrin:

+1
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 10:08 PM   #81
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Quote:
Only repeating what our techs have stated per BMW NA. Furthermore, you might want to research Dinan as that is a very common misconception. BMW NA does not cover repairs/failures caused by Dinan products under BMWs warranty. Dinan covers it under their warranty even when via a BMW Dinan dealer.
I understand the Dinan part failure, but I was referring to was that a Dinan chip, for instance, will not void your powertrain warranty or your free scheduled maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 10:14 PM   #82
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:

+1
Yes, this will be sticky-wicket for all mods...and BMW is a bear about OEM.
However, my car just passed their CPO certification with some minor things they didn't spot, but they gigged the car for not having run-flats...which I replaced long ago. No big deal, I'm buying the car coming off lease, but my experience goes to show how they can come down hard and intransigent once an anomaly is flagged.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 10:35 PM   #83
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
I understand the Dinan part failure, but I was referring to was that a Dinan chip, for instance, will not void your powertrain warranty or your free scheduled maintenance.
I was stating that if there is a failure/repair needed of a OEM part and it is due to a Dinan product, it is Dinan that the warranties the repair and not BMW NA.

Quote:
Yes, this will be sticky-wicket for all mods...and BMW is a bear about OEM.
However, my car just passed their CPO certification with some minor things they didn't spot, but they gigged the car for not having run-flats...which I replaced long ago. No big deal, I'm buying the car coming off lease, but my experience goes to show how they can come down hard and intransigent once an anomaly is flagged.
The BMW CPO process is a fairly strict one. I would not hesitate purchasing a BMW CPO'ed automobile.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 11:51 PM   #84
Propagator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Hey hoefx, so you think the covering might be the same amber color scheme the 3er have? Never thought of that. You could be onto something.
Yeah, I agree this makes sense. Clearly the overal shape of the headlamp is the same as the hatch, so it has to be something like this.

Can't we just see the car already? :mad:
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 07:42 AM   #85
Brookside
Major
Rep

That would make sense then..but the drama they've inserted was almost needless.
btw...I darkened the car just a tad attempting to highlight contrast as the light plays across the various surfaces.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 08:40 AM   #86
DCMotorer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 MINI Cooper

Darkening the color really makes it easier to see the various lines. I like the how the body is styled! I wonder if that black tape on the "waistline" is covering up a crease line running all the way down the length of the car...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 08:53 AM   #87
DarrenE46
Rep
Drives:

If anyone wasn't paying attention, the driver is non-other than the legendary Joachim Stuck. Furthermore, guess who that is w/ his back turned to the camera? CHUCKY!!!

Headlight Detail:
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 09:02 AM   #88
ghotman906
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Yeah, I agree this makes sense. Clearly the overal shape of the headlamp is the same as the hatch, so it has to be something like this.

Can't we just see the car already? :mad:
I agree...and btw, doesn't the DOT require all headlights to have some kind of amber deflector?

If I remember correctly, don't all ther 1ers in Europe have clear headlights?
Appreciate 0