BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-31-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Derek8819
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Little something I put together.

I am no video editor so don't judge too much, lol.

This was from a drag-n-lap event at NOLA motorsports, run the 1/4 mile and then one lap around the track. There was no lauch pad for the 1/4 mile so it was like lauching from a red light, best times at the end of the video.

My real issue is where to go in the future with the car, almost every turn I have the MDM kicking back at me, I hate to turn it off, but I do not think I can go much faster with it on. I also hate to trash the car by making a dumb mistake.

BTW, I love this car.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

I was at NOLA last month. We were suppose to have a race in mid November so I was checking it out but then the race was cancelled. Seems F1 in Austin took 1/2 our field. A friend of mine is a founding member and gave me the tour. Amazing facility and you are lucky to live so close to it (and it's only 1/2 built!). If there was ever a track to shut the nannies off it's NOLA. You have good consistent grip and a lot of run off, unlike many tracks with concrete walls 20 feet from the tarmac. If you do shut them off completely just back off 10% from what you have been doing and slowly work your way back to your comfort zone, and maybe a little beyond once you get a better feel for the car. The 1M is a very different car with electronics off, at the limit.

If not, get on that awesome karting track! Either way, you have a great adrenalin burning facility.
      11-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

I have heard great things about this track and how they have redone it. I would like to make it down there but it is a long way away.

From my experience, MDM is a double edged sword. As a novice I started with it on, and am able to drive pretty fast with it. I learned that driving with it completely off really has a big learning curve (for me, a novice). I can drive faster and safer with it on, but my skill level will plateau...here lies the problem.

I am really working on smoothing out my inputs, especially the throttle input. I am driving slower, but feel like I am getting better as a smooth driver, if that makes any sense. Eventually, when I gain a little more confidence with car control in general I will take it back off so I can continue to progress.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
Ky1M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z3-M///Coupe ,AW1M

Nice job , thanks for sharing!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
I have heard great things about this track and how they have redone it.
Not sure what was redone? It's a brand new track.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
If there was ever a track to shut the nannies off it's NOLA. You have good consistent grip and a lot of run off, unlike many tracks with concrete walls 20 feet from the tarmac.
+1

The only place you could get into trouble is turn 15-16. I'll be there again next weekend with NASA.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Yeah, forgot about that. Just keep your eyes looking down that straight.