BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-20-2023, 02:58 PM   #1
jshbrwr
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Aftermarket CarPlay HU, KEEP HiFi amp

Hey folks,

So I decided to purchase the CarNavi Player (http://www.carnaviplayer.com/bmw-1-s...acement-p-1147). Opted for the wireless CarPlay and also the rear camera (not yet installed).

Install went pretty good, the overall look of the unit is very BMW-factory styled...especially the amber colored lighting makes it fit in very well.

Got a couple things that I'm not happy with however:

1. I've noticed that the audio has a pronounced hiss. I've read that some cars with separate factory amps will have noise because the aftermarket HU is sending higher level signals than the amp is used to? I've lowered the internal power on the HU to -18 dB and it has not altered the hiss. Only the overall volume has been lowered, but the hiss is still there in the same proportion as before.

2. I also have noticed that not all of my speakers (I have 10) are producing sound. For instance, the door tweeters work but both midrange speakers are not pushing anything. The overall sound is loud and sounds pretty good, other than the hiss, but I can't stand the idea of not getting value out of all of those factory speakers. I haven't checked the under seat subs yet. This may have to do with the fact that the aftermarket HU only is pushing 4 x 45w. My amp for the HiFi system is 6 channels however.

I'd like to fix these issues (which may be related) and I want some thoughts. It seems over the dozens of threads (looked at many e90post and Bimmerfest forums too) regarding upgrading our stereo, the bulk of them are for folks who are replacing the stock amp. I know some will recommend replacing the amp, but I don't want to do that right now.

I've seen in some general research (not BMW specific) that you could use the RCA outs on the back of a HU to send a lower powered line level to the factory amp. This HU has left front, right front, left rear, right rear and sub, so 5 channels. Does anyone have experience doing that and retaining the stock speakers and amp setup?

I've also seen the custom harness by user technic for hooking up an aftermarket amp to retain the car's original wiring etc. Does anyone know if that harness can be used for my proposed application?

I have been satisfied overall with my car's sound and am not looking into adding an amp or a sub (like most ppl seem to be). The HU was what I wanted simply for the functionality of the CarPlay and navigation and also hands-free calling, which my old bluetooth dongle couldn't do. I would just love to be able to get rid of that noise and rely on the factory amp to do what it has been doing for the last 4 years, and retain the speaker setup I have now.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 11:47 AM   #2
SchwarzN52
Rep
Drives: 2013 Schwarz 128i M-Sport

I have chosen to get this myself as well, my car also has the hifi setup. My amplifier blew not to long ago. I am trying to find a replacement and also upgrade to this head unit.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 11:53 AM   #3
jshbrwr
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Update to this - I found the culprit for the lack of sound in the door speakers. Turns out the driver side speaker itself had loose wires, so I replaced it and it’s good to go. Still got the hiss though, but I’m just living with it and it’s not easy to hear unless I’m sitting still. Once driving, it’s almost imperceptible….still don’t like it though
Appreciate 1