BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-05-2023, 07:13 PM   #1
videodj
Rep
Drives: BMW E87

CIC and combox retrofit

I got my my 2008 E87 M Sport in April, purchased from my Mum who can no longer drive, with 30K on the clock. Two things let it down, the entertainment system (business HU, no BT) and the headlights. I initially fitted my double DIN Kenwood unit an an aftermarket shark fin for GPS, Dab and radio, which worked well (once I'd hacked up the dash to fit it!), but I just found the screen was too low down to be used safely so I decided to retrofit CIC and combox.

So started the search for parts and info on how to do it all, the hardest part was finding all the info in one place, so I thought I'd detail it here. I sourced the following parts:

Ebay

CIC with DAB (65129222862)
CID (Screen), found one in perfect condition. (65829211975)
idrive controller (9285443)
idrive trim for centre console (51169169574) RHD, this was hard to find and expensive
CIC trim (6976847)
Centre Console (51169110529)
LVDS cable
USB cable
USB socket (glove box)
idrive controller connector
combox/mulf bracket (9135687)
combox, plus wiring, including BT antenna, USB/Aux socket, cables (including MOST)
Mic (84310020974)

LLLParts

Climate control trim (64116957958)
CID connector (61136954526)
ODBC connectors (61138366598) x 5
idrive trim clips (07147073406) x 5

Once I found all this and waited a couple of weeks for it all to arrive, I could begin. I did buy an emulator, but later realised I didn't need it, so was a waste of money. I paid the ebay seller of the CIC extra to update firmware and add new FSC codes/VIN. This saved alot of hassle and once the VO was updated it worked straight away.

First I made up the looms for the screen and idrive controller and pin the connectors as below:

CID

Pin 1 Power
Pin 3 Earth
Pin 5 High CAN
Pin 6 Low CAN

idrive controller

Pin 1 Power
Pin 2 Earth
Pin 3 High CAN
Pin 4 Low CAN

I took power and ground from the black connector on the JBE and the CAN for the screen. (I had some spare pins from the quadlock that came with the combox)

Pin 11 High CAN
Pin 30 Low CAN
Pin 27 Earth
Pin 1 Power

Quadlock pins

Pin 15 Power
Pin 12 Earth
Pin 11 High CAN
Pin 9 Low CAN

Pin 29 (ODB 8)
Pin 31 (ODB 12)
Pin 32 (ODB 13)
Pin 37 (ODB 3)
Pin 38 (ODB 11)

For the idrive CAN, I tapped into the wires next to the handbrake, under the centre console, I did this to avoid any interference. Although most people seem to wire the controller and screen to the same point. I originally wired both into the quadlock and later had issues with an MMI box, so rewired them as above, it didn't resolve the MMI, that was eventually fixed with a firmware update, so it appears wiring to the quadlock worked fine, however the OEM way is to use the JBE.

All my looms were either pinned or soldered where required and wrapped in Tesa tape for the OEM look.

I also added the extra pins in the quadlock for the ethernet connection to the ODBC port, this allows the CIC to be updated via an enet cable.

While I was ther I has added the missing mini quadlock connector and wired up 2 RCA connectors for reverse camera and TV more on that later.

I ran the MOST loop from the boot down the passenger side door sills to the HU, with port added to the footwell trim. I also ran the USB, Aux cable, BT cable and Mic cable the same way, along with a power cable from the fuse box to the aerial and combox. The combox was earthed to the factory ground next the MOST loop behind the rear seat bolster. I also ran the RCA cable for the camera down this route and used the wire tap on either end of this cable to supply power to the camera, again via the fuse box, this time using the same tap that feeds my dash cam via a BlackVue Power Magic Pro.

Bluetooth antenna clips to footwell trim under glove box. I did not use the GSM antenna as I'm not using telematics.

The combox I got was a telematics version, but I only wired for media, pinout below:

Pin
1 Power T30
2 Power T30 (only 1 or 2 needs to be connected, in my case it was 2) (Red/Yellow)
5 High CAN (only needed for telematics) (tap into PDC) (Orange)
6 Low CAN (only needed for telematics) (tap into PDC) (Green)
7 Tel Crash (Crash Signal) (only needed for telematics) (ASCM Pin 34 - Airbag module under centre console) (Black/Red)
10 Aux Ground (purple)
11 Mic Blnc (Black)
12 Mic - (Black)
14 Ground (Brown)
15 Tel Wake Up (only needed for telematics) (CAS Pin 37) (Yellow)
17 NOTRUF L (SOS Button) (only needed for telematics) (Grey/Blue)
18 NOTRUF S (SOS Button) (only needed for telematics) (Grey)
20 LS NOTR - (SOS Speaker) (only needed for telematics) (Drivers Footwell) (White/Blue)
21 LS NOTR + (SOS Speaker) (only needed for telematics) (Drivers Footwell) (White/Yellow)
22 Aux Blnc (Black)
23 Aux NF L (White/Red)
24 Aux NF R (White/Green)
25 Mic + (Yellow)

Fitting the screen was easy as I already had a storage box, so hole was already there, I fed the cables down to the HU and refitted the screen and air vents.

Combox bracket was bolt into the boot and then the combox bolted to it. After this all the cables I routed were connected and then I had extend the power and ground wires, which were soldered and then all wrapped in Tesa tape.

To fit the idrive controller the centre console needs removing and replacing with an idrive version, while swapping out the cables for the Aux, USB and idrive controller were routed in the OEM locations. While I had the console out, I removed the ashtray and fit a 3 series glasses holder in it's place ( found the mod on another post), I used the leds from the ashtray to add lighting and replace the cigarette socket with a different one and laid under the console to provide power for my phone holder/charger. At this point I also wrapped the chrome trim in carbon fibre wrap and then refitted it all.

Then I added the idrive trim, which needed and little bit of trimming to fit the 7 button controller correctly.

I also purchased a MMI unit for car play/Android Auto, so ran the wires for this at the same time, I eventually mount the unit behind the drivers side lower dash near the CAS module.

As I had already fitted a double din unit, half the work was done, I had to trim a bit more for it to fit correctly then find some fittings to allow me to screw it into the cage, I used some threaded rivet inserts.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08LMN4C...roduct_details

Then I could fit the CIC trim once I'd transplanted the PDC button from the original trim. I found the ribbon cable to be a bit short, I tried tucking it in, but I couldn't get the trim to sit nicely, so I used the extend cable that I got when I fitted the double din unit.

The hardest part with the trim was the climate controls, as there was not where for it to clip into, however I found a thread that mentioned Polymorph (thermo moldable plastic), easy to use and mold how you want. Once set is like normal plastic, to avoid it sticking to the climate control unit before it set, I place some cling film over the polymorph before placing the climate control unit in, once it set I could scrap out the cling flim and the unit is help pefectly.

With the physical work complete the coding begins.

I used NCS Expert to update the VO (remove option for current radio) and build date on the CAS and FRM (NFRM) and then default coded the CIC, combox. I added the following options:

Build Date - 03/11

$609
$6VA
$644
$6NR
$6VC
$6FL
$6NF (enables blue port on combox, I have and adapter to allow a normal USB to be plugged in, so I plugged in a flash drive and left in under the boot floor)

Optional

$620 (voice assistant, I disabled as it interferes with the MMI box and to be honest isn't very good)

After this it was all up and running, nav worked, bluetooth and voice (before I disabled), after this I used NCS Dummy to customise some other options, along with an option I found to enable internal Aux and combox Aux and USB at the same time for use with the MMI. Most threads suggest to enable internal Aux you have to disable the combox Aux and USB, however enabling RSE_MID_RUEKO enables both Auxs and lists them in CIC. The only issue with this is that the rear Aux is the HU, and front Aux is the armrest Aux, not really a problem once you map a button to switch to Aux.

A trick I also found is to save a copy of the tracefile once you've customised it, if you have to default code the CIC at any point, such as adding other vehicle options, you export the .MAN file and recode it with all your options.

After this I setup the MMI box, to complete the setup, so CIC with nav bluetooth phone/streaming and dab. Settings usually on the dash can be changed via CIC, along with service info and messages.

The last thing I did a couple of weeks later was to add a reverse camera emulator (from Ali Express), as I'd already wired the camera to the CIC and used a splitter to also send the video to the MMI box, all I needed to do was wire the emulator to power, ground and CAN. I used the PDC wiring in the boot, soldered the connections, wrapped and tucked it away next to the PDC module.

Then I coded $3AG to the VO to enable the camera screen on the CIC, a few additional items need to be added via NCS Dummy/Expert to fully enable, once I did this I saved a new copy of my tracefile as a backup. Additional settings below:

MACRO_PDC nicht_aktiv -> aktiv
MACRO_REARVIEW aktiv
RVC_CIC wert_23
MACRO_L6_PARKMENU aktiv
PDC_DIRECTION vertikal

I didn't take any pictures during the install, but will post a few pictures of the finished install soon.

Next project is adapative Xenons, I have all the parts, just trying to find the time to do it...

Last edited by videodj; 07-05-2023 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-06-2023, 05:56 AM   #2
blingers
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Pre-LCI 130i

Thanks for the write up! Look forward to the photos.

Did you have to VO code sa654 to get DAB radio? Edit: just realised you had the cic coded already by the seller.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 11:27 AM   #3
videodj
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingers View Post
Thanks for the write up! Look forward to the photos.

Did you have to VO code sa654 to get DAB radio? Edit: just realised you had the cic coded already by the seller.
I did have to code it, it worked initially, but when I default coded the CIC Dab disappeared, so I updated the VO again and it came back.. It was my first time using NCS Expert so was still learning.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 02:18 PM   #4
videodj
Rep

Here are some before and after photos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0