BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2023, 11:58 AM   #1
clopez1
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

135i n55 2011 first time using molygen

I just did OFHG and decided to put in 5w-30 molygen (previously used Leichtlauf hitech 5w-30). Ive done a bit of research on molygen with bmw’s and everyone seems to favour the green colouring and performance through some blackstone reports.

My concern is that this isn’t LL-01 certified. Would I be okay running the 5w-30 molygen? It seems to be running a lot smoother than before but my concern is if its okay to be running this product in general.

Side note, i’ve noticed that the 5w-40 variant of molygen IS LL-01 certified per Liquimoly’s website but 5w-30 isn’t.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 03:14 PM   #2
rick_flying_machine
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M sport 6spd

I've been using Molygen 5W40 for the last few years with a 2011 N55 as well and all seems ok. Initially it was to pinpoint an oil leak, but I find the engine runs smoother as well so I kept going with it. It's also a summer car only, so to me the slightlty thicker oil made sense.

In the end, after much research as well on the topic, my understanding is that if you change your oil every 5000 miles or so, the oil brand is not a big variable in engine longevity. Therefore, LL-01or not is probably not a big factor if you follow short oil change intervalls. Others may differ, but that is my conclusion ...
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 12:27 PM   #3
4JawChuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i SE

You need an LL01 oil for the additives, this protects the tin coating on the aluminum bearings, no additive (especially trace amounts of Moly) and you get accelerated west of the tin sacrificial coating.

Don’t get suckered into an LL04 oil either, that is the euro standard with very little additives to improve catalyst durability and effectiveness.

See my engine rebuild thread for what happens if you use the wrong oil.

The tin coating reacts with moly in the oil to form a chemical bond which creates a barrier for the bearing journals. The tin inserts in the pistons are there for the same reason.
Appreciate 1
BigZ8822.50
      01-29-2024, 03:25 PM   #4
BigZ88
Cap'n Winky
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4JawChuck View Post
You need an LL01 oil for the additives, this protects the tin coating on the aluminum bearings, no additive (especially trace amounts of Moly) and you get accelerated west of the tin sacrificial coating.

Don’t get suckered into an LL04 oil either, that is the euro standard with very little additives to improve catalyst durability and effectiveness.

See my engine rebuild thread for what happens if you use the wrong oil.

The tin coating reacts with moly in the oil to form a chemical bond which creates a barrier for the bearing journals. The tin inserts in the pistons are there for the same reason.
So what is your recommendation? Is the molygen 5w-40 which is LL-01 ok? Shop local says they recommend the Top Tec 4200 5w-30…
Appreciate 0