BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
jack123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

windshield replacement

Hello,

I am quite disappointed with the windshield quality BMW has used for this car. I have only had the car 4 months and already I have 4 small chips on the windshield.

To make things worst, today while cleaning my windshield, i raised the wiper and the rubber part came off. The metal part of the wiper snapped back onto the windshield leaving huge cracks It did not even hit the windshield very hard. I know the same has happened with other people on this board.

What are my options for replacement? Is insurance the best way to go? If I do choose insurance, I'm worried it will affect my rates. Will BMW warranty cover this? I really feel this windshield is defective. I have never had any windshield issues with my other cars
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
Russo
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Dodge Dakota Big Horn

what is it with people trying to open their hood while the wipers are up?!?!

seems that the only replacement is BMW, i haven't really checked my distributors yet for them... your rates will not increase the premiums because glass is filed under "comprehensive" not collision... check with your insurance first to see what this deductible is, then i would go from there... BMW, and most other automakers will not warranty the broken glass in the way it broke.. if your windshield is defective, so are 1000 others on the road....

BLUEFAKES.COM ARE SCAMMERS, LIERS, AND CHEATERS! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

I don't think the OP did the hood thing. It sounds like the wiper blade came off thwacking the arm onto the Windshield. One poster in Arizona claims to have paid only $350 for a brand new OEM windshield.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
ryguy85
1erHammer
Rep
Drives:

ouchhh welcome to the club. i had this happen to me after only one month with the 1. I paid a $250 deductible to my insurance. the total cost for the replacement, oem bmw glass installed by dealer was about $1300

Ohh and it wont change premiums or the record. My claim came up as a rock chip causing a crack...and i was assured that the premiums wont change and my insurance didnt care that i took it to the dealer (although maybe they would have recomended the dealer..who knows for sure).

It certainly was a awful when it happened. Now i am ultra careful in making sure the blades are down and only up when i am actually cleaning or rinsing them.

As a side note, i contacted bmw canada on this and i basically got the answer "thanks for letting us know but sorry this cannot be claimed for warranty work"
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
jack123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the info! I checked my insurance and it seems my comprehensive has $1000 deductable I guess I will have to fix this without using my insurance.
Appreciate 0