BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-27-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
Upgrade+
Good life
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 AW

Credit score and Penfed

Ok. Car is scheduled to arrive in about 2 weeks (crazy fast wait!). But now I need to look at my lending options. I've read some of the threads on PENFED and at a rate of 4.25 (if it's still that) seems to good to pass on. I've always been approved for loans but just want to be sure on my credit score before applying for penfed. Does anyone know of any free online resources that can show me what my credit score is? One that doesn't do a charge within 7 days. Thanks.:wink:
Current: 08 E90 M3 Alpine White Former: 11 135i Msport Space Gray -Former: 07 335i Titanium Silver E92- Former: 08 135i Alpine White E82- Past: 06 Subaru STI WRB- Past: 04 Audi S4 Imola yellow- Past:97 Honda prelude Ice blue
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
benz135i
1UP
United_States
Rep
Drives: sold: 2008 135i

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but you can get a free credit report annually from each of the bureaus at annualcreditreport.com. This site is sponsored by the three credit bureaus and is not a scam site. You can get your credit score from any one of the three for an additional fee on top of the free credit report.

sold: 2008 135i 6MT, Ohlins R&T, Vorshlag plates, M3 bits
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 01:29 AM   #3
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz135i View Post
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but you can get a free credit report annually from each of the bureaus at annualcreditreport.com. This site is sponsored by the three credit bureaus and is not a scam site. You can get your credit score from any one of the three for an additional fee on top of the free credit report.
But no credit score. You have to pay for that. I think they charge less than $10, though.
      06-28-2008, 01:40 AM   #4
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

what i did was printed out the 4.25 penfed advertisement and went with it to my dealer to buy my car before applying to pen fed. I had heard on this forum that the dealer can sometimes match the pen fed rate, or get close, not through bmw finance but through local banks or whatnot that the dealer has relationships with. unfortunately my dealer did not, but if he had, i would have much rather gone with dealer financing because its simpler and pen fed makes you jump through some hoops and whatnot - its just less streamlined cause now there's 3 parties involved.

anyway, even though the dealer didn't match the rate, i found out my credit score which was 799. then we signed an option contract which said that if i can't get my own financing within a week, i'll use the dealer's financing. with my score i had no issues getting 4.25%.

what i learned from the experience, you don't have to show up to the dealer with financing arranged. you can get an option contract and get financing later.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 03:52 AM   #5
alexp1_tx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

4.44% for me. Jk
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #6
Upgrade+
Good life
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 AW

so the dealer ended up matching the 4.25 because of the print out or did you just coincidentely get 4.25 because of your score? so exactly how does the option contract work? Also, what do you mean by 3 parties and jumping through hoops?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
what i did was printed out the 4.25 penfed advertisement and went with it to my dealer to buy my car before applying to pen fed. I had heard on this forum that the dealer can sometimes match the pen fed rate, or get close, not through bmw finance but through local banks or whatnot that the dealer has relationships with. unfortunately my dealer did not, but if he had, i would have much rather gone with dealer financing because its simpler and pen fed makes you jump through some hoops and whatnot - its just less streamlined cause now there's 3 parties involved.

anyway, even though the dealer didn't match the rate, i found out my credit score which was 799. then we signed an option contract which said that if i can't get my own financing within a week, i'll use the dealer's financing. with my score i had no issues getting 4.25%.

what i learned from the experience, you don't have to show up to the dealer with financing arranged. you can get an option contract and get financing later.
Current: 08 E90 M3 Alpine White Former: 11 135i Msport Space Gray -Former: 07 335i Titanium Silver E92- Former: 08 135i Alpine White E82- Past: 06 Subaru STI WRB- Past: 04 Audi S4 Imola yellow- Past:97 Honda prelude Ice blue
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 09:41 AM   #7
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

You can get your credit score for free at freecreditreport.com, but be advised that you have to give them your credti card info up front, and then cancel the subscription within 30 days or they set up a reoccuring monthly charge. I used it and kept the service for a couple of months just so there were no surprises with my financing.
Appreciate 0