BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
seviay
Registered
Rep
Drives: Crimson and Cream

GP Thunders not that bright. Help?

Installed the GP Thunder 8500s this weekend, and I'm very underwhelmed with the brightness. They seemed to be easy to install, so I'm not sure how we could have messed up (how could you mess that up, right?).

Has anyone experienced sub-par brightness from these? I'd say they're not even as bright as the stock bulbs that we took out, so I feel like I either got some faulty bulbs or somehow didn't get them installed properly. I'm assuming it's the latter, as what I see on my car pales in comparison to what I've seen in pictures -- both daytime and nighttime.

Any insight would be great. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

They will be brighter with the car on, but yeh they aren't that bright.

Check out LUX or an HID option if you want something bright/very bright.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
seviay
Registered
Rep

Certainly they should be brighter than stock though, right? They almost look like headlights do when the battery is dying. It's somewhat depressing
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
1-2MANY
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I have the 7500k ones and in the daytime they are not as bright as stock. It's actually almost not visible in direct sunlight.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 12:41 AM   #5
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seviay View Post
Certainly they should be brighter than stock though, right? They almost look like headlights do when the battery is dying. It's somewhat depressing
No they are not as bright or brighter then stock.. if they were as bright or brighter then stock then they will be visible at night.. like another member said your best bet is LUX or Alpine but both are significantly more expensive then the GP thunders..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
Riley1524
Captain
Rep
Drives: A Slow Ass BMW

I had them for a little while and the inner ring was pretty bright, but like someone else mentioned, make sure to look at them with the engine on. You'd be happier with the LUX kit though
      09-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

GP thunders will be slightly LESS bright than stock. A lower color temperature (like that of the stock bulbs) is going to produce a slightly less intense light for the same amount of power going in. With the engine on, you will see them light up slightly brighter, but for a direct bulb replacement like the GPs, they will be less bright than stock.

Alternatively, if they look much less bright, you could have not screwed the bulb in all the way when placing it into the headlight opening. If it isn't all the way in, the light won't correctly follow the tract of the corona rings, and they won't appear as well lit.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #8
seviay
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
GP thunders will be slightly LESS bright than stock. A lower color temperature (like that of the stock bulbs) is going to produce a slightly less intense light for the same amount of power going in. With the engine on, you will see them light up slightly brighter, but for a direct bulb replacement like the GPs, they will be less bright than stock.

Alternatively, if they look much less bright, you could have not screwed the bulb in all the way when placing it into the headlight opening. If it isn't all the way in, the light won't correctly follow the tract of the corona rings, and they won't appear as well lit.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out this weekend. They definitely seem quite a bit dimmer than stock, so I suspect we didn't get them properly aligned / screwed in.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #9
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post

Well Yes and no to your reason by why they will be less bright. The reason they are less bright is because they are basically the same filament producing the light. the GPThunder bulbs have a blue coating on the bulb which filters out much of the yellow light leaving you with a cooler color light. The overall amount of is less because a lot of the wavelengths are being blocked

But yes the LUX H8 V3 will be a very good option if you are looking for something better
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Is LUX brighter than stock during the day?
cdv delete | clutch stop | bmw performance ssk | meisterschaft gt | berk mids | dinan cai | helix fmic | m3 subframe bushings, swaybar, front and back suspension bits | dinan stage 1 suspension | dinan cf strut brace |gc camber plates | dinan oil cooler | apex ec-7s w/PSSs | cobb stage 1 + fmic
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #11
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Well Yes and no to your reason by why they will be less bright. The reason they are less bright is because they are basically the same filament producing the light. the GPThunder bulbs have a blue coating on the bulb which filters out much of the yellow light leaving you with a cooler color light. The overall amount of is less because a lot of the wavelengths are being blocked

But yes the LUX H8 V3 will be a very good option if you are looking for something better
Ooo i see. You're right the GPs (and MTECs) have that coating. However, with my HID kit the yellow (lower color temp) is definitely slightly brighter than the blueish 8000K temperature and neither of the bulbs have coatings on them. I figured that's what was going on here too, but thanks for the correction

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
HISI808
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 128i M-Sport

or you could go the opposite way and get the brightest yellow bulbs you can. Then they will be brighter than stock. This is what I did. Replaced the stock bulbs with PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow bulbs.
Appreciate 0