BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #23
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMWOLB View Post
I'm afraid you are the one out of touch with reality.

If you knew anything about testing and evaluating automotive products, you appreciate CR. You really should to some research to back up your facetious statement.

Pick up CR 2015 annual car issue. In it there is a description or their test facility and their staff of nearly 300 engineers and technicians who conduct tests. There isn't one organization anywhere on the planet that gives consumers valid reliable data on cars but CR.
if you are the type who needs 300 engineers to tell you what the "best" is.....then great! Just your mind off (as you may already have) and accept their opinions as facts.

If you would like to actually USE your mind to think for yourself (hard, isn't it?); then you may want to go by your own experiences and/or evaluate the opinions of others and weigh them alongside to formulate a full picture!

Instead, you've dismissed an automotive website's review and instead praised Consumer Reports. non-starter for me, i'm afraid. I wouldn't even use Consumer Reports for appliances, let alone automobiles.

Last edited by IEDEI; 04-23-2015 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 3
      04-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #24
goonerstrike
Rep
Drives: 135i

EMWOLB is a m235i owner...

Last edited by goonerstrike; 04-23-2015 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #25
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
if you are the type who needs 300 engineers to tell you what the "best" is.....then great! Just your mind off (as you may already have) and accept their opinions as facts.

If you would like to actually USE your mind to think for yourself (hard, isn't it?); then you may want to go by your own experiences and/or evaluate the opinions of others and weigh them alongside to formulate a full picture!

Instead, you've dismissed an automotive website's review and instead praised Consumer Reports. non-starter for me, i'm afraid. I wouldn't even use Consumer Reports for appliances, let alone automobiles.
+1 to that. Consumer Reports used to be a good source for a lot of QA data on the long term reliability of a vehicle. Now they've degraded to a POS car review pub, just like most of the car rags. They have a lot more subjective basis for ranking their vehicles now and are a lot more biased in their evaluations.
Appreciate 2
      04-23-2015, 11:44 AM   #26
EMWOLB
Bon Vivant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:

Well if I don't own a car I might be interested in, who would I turn to for good information? C&D, R&T, MT, or you? A mind is a terrible thing to waste, but in this regard, you don't have to worry by not having one!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #27
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

subscribed. this is getting like Pacquaio - Mayweather
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 12:01 PM   #28
Black Prinz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 545i-128i-X3x35i-M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
They look nice, and to be fair they tested a AWD version saddled with the weaker motor. The M235i would be a better choice.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...15-bmw-m235xi/

"I’d already driven a stick-shift M235i during PCOTY and my verdict was that “I get the distinct feeling that there’s a bit too much dignity, too much ball-bearing smoothness, to make this a true successor to the raucous 135i.” Adding all-wheel-drive and a torque converter to the M235i package does nothing to change my mind; rather, it dials the standard model’s boulevardier inclinations up to eleven."
The Black Prinz | 09E82N51 | BMW 3-Stage Intake Manifold | BILSTEIN B12 Pro-System+ | ///M Control Arms | ///M Bushing kit | ///M Strut Brace | DINAN Camber Plates & Rear Shock Mounts | ECS Performance Trailing Arms | aFe Magnum Force Intake System [Dynamic Air Scoops+Stage 2 CAI] | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance Brakes | GOODRIDGE G-Stop SS | DEPO V2 | Style 220M reps |
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #29
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Prinz View Post
Steptronic transmission? Fake engine noises? Really?
      04-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #30
aloksatoor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Carrera S PDK

Bmw went two steps forward but a lot backwards with the 2er. Better subframe, non rfts, better interior but has has electric steering (not the good kind like the M), worse engines (x28), fake noises, heavier, ricer look from rear, undertired and more civilized.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #31
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Well if I don't own a car I might be interested in, who would I turn to for good information? C&D, R&T, MT, or you? A mind is a terrible thing to waste, but in this regard, you don't have to worry by not having one!
well go and drive it. i know it's hard...
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #32
floppyedonkey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

One must not look to just a single source for information/reviews and opinions. Many forms of media are own and controlled by an agenda. Looking to a single source makes you a sheep and at that point you should be driving a Prius.
Appreciate 2
      04-23-2015, 07:36 PM   #33
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135is (#363/586)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i
subscribed. this is getting like Pacquaio - Mayweather
But as of right now this fight is actually happening.

Edit: just saw they finally reached a deal with the venue. Carry on.
SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 07:45 PM   #34
jaximointhecut
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

I <3 my ugly duckling

Last edited by jaximointhecut; 04-23-2015 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-23-2015, 11:42 PM   #35
BillOne
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
I believe I saw my first 2-er this morning while biking along the beach. Didn't get a great look, but my first reaction was it looks a bit Asian from the back. Is it available with a stick? Could I get one without iDrive?

I still prefer the my one. I like the front on the 2, but think the back is too square, it just doesn't look right to me.

I have a 2008 135 with 43k on it and love it to death. I'll maybe consider the M2 when it comes out, but if not I plan to keep my one for a very long time.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 07:07 AM   #36
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
By going and test driving one yourself. If that isn't sufficient, you look to people who actually own and drive them, instead of those who do bullshit testing on them.

Unless you're one of those people who HAS to have the newest model when it's released, any car after a given amount of time is going to get feedback on pro's and con's. Forums like this are a beautiful place for gathering information from people who actually drive the cars on a daily basis.

I test drove an M235i and I felt like even though my 128 isn't in the same ball park, it still felt way more connected and raw to me as a driver and to the road than the 2 series.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #37
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

At first I was all excited about the 235. I still love its front end, but having test driven one and seen a few on the road now (and finding it funny that the 228's stock wheels are far better looking than the 235's), they just look bland on the road and blend in. The 1er stands out (in a good way to me). It has character, which I think is seriously lacking in the 2 series.
It kinda breaks down like this, showing the winner in each category:

Suspension: 2
Steering: 1
Brakes: Draw
Acceleration and handling: 2 (by a very small margin)
Interior: Draw (mostly subjective, but there really is very little difference)
Driver connectedness: 1
Appearance: subjective, but at least the 1er has character. 2er is bland except for the front end.
Value: 1 (since a low-mileage 1er can be had for 10-20k less than a similar 2er)
Fun factor: 1
Absence of stupid features like Active Sound: 1

So as you can see, the 1er would seem to edge out the 2er on the whole.
Winner: 1 series.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #38
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
Only if you had the 135i, not the 128i, IMO.
That's my experience too. Since 2006, I've owned 2 BMWs with the exact same drivetrain (N52, 6M), and I've had to do nothing other than annual servicing over 60K miles apiece. So by far, these have been the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #39
EMWOLB
Bon Vivant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
By going and test driving one yourself. If that isn't sufficient, you look to people who actually own and drive them, instead of those who do bullshit testing on them.

Unless you're one of those people who HAS to have the newest model when it's released, any car after a given amount of time is going to get feedback on pro's and con's. Forums like this are a beautiful place for gathering information from people who actually drive the cars on a daily basis.

I test drove an M235i and I felt like even though my 128 isn't in the same ball park, it still felt way more connected and raw to me as a driver and to the road than the 2 series.
Well I don't consider the testing that Consumer Union does bullshit testing. If you bothered to look into how it acquires cars and the period of time over which it tests them and the tests performed, you'd be impressed.

If anything is BS, it is much of the miscellaneous comments made on car forums. Very little of what is said is backed up by any "real" facts or data.

My last car was a 135i with the M Sport package, and my current car is an M235i. I had 80K miles on the 1 and now I have 30K on the 2. The 2 has a more compliant ride than the 1, but besides that, I consider the two cars equivalent to each other.

Getting back to CU, they gave the 2 a rave review and a road test score of 98 (perfect is 100). When they tested 1 some years back, they were equally enthusiastic.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #40
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
If anything is BS, it is much of the miscellaneous comments made on car forums.
have you considered changing your name to "Consumer Reports Fanboy #1"?
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #41
EMWOLB
Bon Vivant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
have you considered changing your name to "Consumer Reports Fanboy #1"?
Have you thought about learning how to be civil and only opening your mouth when spoken to?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 11:22 AM   #42
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Well I don't consider the testing that Consumer Union does bullshit testing. If you bothered to look into how it acquires cars and the period of time over which it tests them and the tests performed, you'd be impressed.

If anything is BS, it is much of the miscellaneous comments made on car forums. Very little of what is said is backed up by any "real" facts or data.

My last car was a 135i with the M Sport package, and my current car is an M235i. I had 80K miles on the 1 and now I have 30K on the 2. The 2 has a more compliant ride than the 1, but besides that, I consider the two cars equivalent to each other.

Getting back to CU, they gave the 2 a rave review and a road test score of 98 (perfect is 100). When they tested 1 some years back, they were equally enthusiastic.
Bullshit may have been an extremity, but when I buy a car, I am going to see what the direct consumers are having struggles with and what they enjoy. Much like on here, people who have voted in threads about water pump failures, DCT issues, turbo failures, etc was a great deal of help that made me buy a 128 instead of a 135, because I'm not ready to take on what would clearly have been more maintenance. They don't discuss these things when they do initial reviews on cars, it's usually on a "performance" basis, which will apply to people buying brand new cars.

I would much rather discuss a vehicles potential with the people who own them, modify them, track them, etc. than a group of guys who put cars through trial testing for individual components over a period of time on what is usually a brand new vehicle. Consumer report may get some initial data, but that's all they or anyone for that matter will touch base on. They may be equally praising both, but I would like to see some data down the road on problematic issue frequency between 1ers and 2ers.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #43
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Have you thought about learning how to be civil and only opening your mouth when spoken to?

i started this thread AND i own a 1er!

who are you and why are you here, Mr. Consumer Reports 2-series troll?
Appreciate 2
      04-24-2015, 12:21 PM   #44
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
Consumer report may get some initial data, but that's all they or anyone for that matter will touch base on. They may be equally praising both, but I would like to see some data down the road on problematic issue frequency between 1ers and 2ers.
CR is a primary source of long-term reliability.

About this debate, I think if we could get past the fanboys vs flamers, one would realize that each information source has it's pros and cons. I despise some of CR's reviews, namely the ones where they only look at a fraction of the market for that item (such as with home theater equipment). However, with cars, they cover most of the models people buy. And they do have a dedicated team for testing them. Honestly, while I'm an auto enthusiast, I don't track my car, do mods, or any of that. I drive my car everywhere, but I'm just as concerned about handling potholes, snow, and my morning coffee as I am about acceleration.

So I get a lot of good info from these forums, but also from Car & Driver, Consumer Reports, and other sources. Plus I drive a lot of different cars, and I thoroughly test drive anything I consider buying.
Appreciate 1