BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-16-2018, 02:06 AM   #1
Rajvosa
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Comparisons between Akra and Lughtweight systems

Hey guys,

Just interested to hear people’s thoughts between these two systems.. in terms of noise as well as loudness (I know Akra has valves).

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #2
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

I've had both, Lightweight is louder, lighter and simpler design, but just too loud for tracks. Coupled with Wagner downpipes both sound awesome. Akra has 90% of the sound of the LW with the valve open imho.
      10-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
Rajvosa
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Wow so fair bit louder than Akra with open valves.

How’s the drone?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 08:27 PM   #4
balloonsalesman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M BSM

I've got Cpe catted dp's, maddad mid and the Lightweight exhaust. The sound is spot on in my opinion. It's loud but not obnoxious, the tone is REALLY mean! Drone on the highway is noticeable but not bad, passengers don't seem to mind.

I wouldn't change any part of it, also haven't had any noise issues on track.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #5
Mr. Wilson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsta View Post
I've had both, Lightweight is louder, lighter and simpler design, but just too loud for tracks. Coupled with Wagner downpipes both sound awesome. Akra has 90% of the sound of the LW with the valve open imho.
Tinsta can you elaborate on a Wagner downpipes with Akra exhaust. I have a wagner downpipe and a Maddad midpipe and have always wondered how the Akra would sound with both. My main concern is with the wagner downpipes I have always had a tinny sound between 1800-2200 rpms that hits some type of resonance with the stock exhaust, maddad midpipe and wagner downpipe. Please let me know your thoughts.
Appreciate 1
Norm1M10.50
      10-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #6
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
Tinsta can you elaborate on a Wagner downpipes with Akra exhaust. I have a wagner downpipe and a Maddad midpipe and have always wondered how the Akra would sound with both. My main concern is with the wagner downpipes I have always had a tinny sound between 1800-2200 rpms that hits some type of resonance with the stock exhaust, maddad midpipe and wagner downpipe. Please let me know your thoughts.
Not had any "tinny" type of sound with my wager+akra setup, you definitely hear the turbos alot more. I know that the metal under shielding can get quite close to the midpipes and can sometimes touch.

Wagner DP's also take alittle fettling to make sure they clear the transmission bolt on the upside too. I've got 3-4mm clearance, but lowering the cerntra downpipe bracket slightly lower. It could be that you're hearing?
      10-23-2018, 06:52 PM   #7
Mr. Wilson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsta View Post
Not had any "tinny" type of sound with my wager+akra setup, you definitely hear the turbos alot more. I know that the metal under shielding can get quite close to the midpipes and can sometimes touch.

Wagner DP's also take alittle fettling to make sure they clear the transmission bolt on the upside too. I've got 3-4mm clearance, but lowering the cerntra downpipe bracket slightly lower. It could be that you're hearing?
Its not that. I have been under the car many times and checked everything. In fact I took the downpipes off once just to put them on. No luck. Just seems that the Middad midpipe and wagner downpipe with stock exhaust resonate in the exhaust can for about 400 rpm. Only occurs when throttle is maybe greater then 25 percent. Otherwise I can just pass through the rpm range with gentile gas and there is no tinny sound. So it just is hitting that right frequency. I have seen this happen before. Just bad luck.

But my question for you is what midpipe are you running. I would like to get the akra exhaust axle back and retain the middad midpipe but I do not know of anyone (or seen on the forums) who runs this combination with the Wagner downpipes. Thanks.

Sorry OP for getting off topic.......

Last edited by Mr. Wilson; 10-23-2018 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 07:01 AM   #8
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep

I've only tried the Wagner DP with either the full akra evolution system (midpipes/centre link pipe/backbox all akra) or with the lightweight system (again with the same setup, midpipes/centre pipe/backbox) all being lw.