BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-17-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
One_M
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black 07 120i M Sport

Hubcentric Bolt-On Spacer

I really like the D Spoke 18's on my car, and to be honest I was hanging out for them when I bought the car as I think theyre one of the best looking wheels to be on the 1 hatchback, but they could definately do with a liitle more of a stance, especially in the rear.

I was wondering does anyone know of any proper spacers that can be used to enhance the look of these? As I said, Im not in the market to replace the wheels, and I dont want to be running floating spacers either...Im talking about correctly fitted and balanced hubcentric bolt on items.

Be glad if someone can help, or let me know if the fitment to this car is even possible.

Regards

Jamie.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 12:09 AM   #2
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
To be honest, I read "Hubcentric bolt-on spacer" and thought to myself "does that have something to do with the flux capacitor?"
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 12:33 AM   #3
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

aren't hubcentric bolt ons for jap style cars that have the bolts sticking out of the hub and use nuts to secure the wheel?

As opposed to BMWs that have lug bolts...

there's some pretty popular brands getting around on the forums, Macht Schenll, EAS has their own brand, H&R, Eibach etc... (and they are all naturally hub centric as they have that small lip on them)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 02:08 AM   #4
One_M
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
aren't hubcentric bolt ons for jap style cars that have the bolts sticking out of the hub and use nuts to secure the wheel?

As opposed to BMWs that have lug bolts...

there's some pretty popular brands getting around on the forums, Macht Schenll, EAS has their own brand, H&R, Eibach etc... (and they are all naturally hub centric as they have that small lip on them)
Thanks for that.You've just made me realise I'd forgotten that on these cars bolts are used. So i guess a hubcentric bolt on spacer would also need holes drilled and taped into them for the wheel bolts, I'm not too keen on these actually, theyre usually 6061, but I dont like the idea of my wheel bolts threaed into alumium I guess its just best to run with the spacer and the longer bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
To be honest, I read "Hubcentric bolt-on spacer" and thought to myself "does that have something to do with the flux capacitor?"
Hahaha. What I was refering to there is that the hole in the centre of the spacer is machined to the same size and matched with that of the lip on the hub. What is supposed to occur is that the hole in your wheel on the backside is matched to the lip on the hub, that way your studs are note taking excessive, or ideally, any load from the wheel itself.

Problem that is often found though with spacers is that clearance exists between all of these surfaces and causes undue loads on the studs/bolts.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 02:47 AM   #5
One_M
Private
Australia
Rep

I have found the H & R range.

http://www.trakplus.com/

They look quite good. There is no listing for a 1 series E81/82/87/88 though, so thats not so good. I did find some specs on other BMW's that have the same hub as the 1 series (5 x 120 PCD and 72.5mm centrebore). Hence spacers could be bought for the models shown on the list with red arrows and fitted to the 1 series.

What I don't understand, and hopefully someone here has an answer, is how will the standard wheels mount up? Judging from their product they physically can't. I have taken a snap of a frame out of the H & R video to show what I mean. The new spacer mounting surface will be a physically larger dimension than the inside of the stock wheel. The only way I can see this working is if the stock wheel has a removable ring on the inside of it.? Anyone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 06:14 AM   #6
One_M
Private
Australia
Rep

I guess no one else shares my enthusiasm!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Many of the 3er guys run spacers with no problems... usually the brands I recommended above. Bite the bullet, give it a go and report back here?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 12:55 AM   #8
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

im running 10mm H&R Spacers all around. I like them because they stay on the rotor when i take my wheels off.

The wheel bolts dont thread into the spacers, you have to get extended bolts (i did for 10mm anyway, and they just slide right through the spacer and screw into the hub just like oem.

I paid 100 euro for all 4 spacers, and 20 extended wheel bolts.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 01:12 AM   #9
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I used to run 15mm H&R hubcentric spacers on my E30, mainly to clear the front coil-overs. As ezeedee stated, "The wheel bolts dont thread into the spacers, you have to get extended bolts (i did for 10mm anyway, and they just slide right through the spacer and screw into the hub just like oem". I paid nearly AU$650 for these spacers & bolts ~6 years ago.
Appreciate 0