BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read




 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-09-2018, 06:26 PM   #23
a4nut
Private First Class
77
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: 13 135is
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: cincinnati, OH

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Is that a ZHP?
The wheels say yes
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 06:57 PM   #24
10"
Major
10"'s Avatar
1714
Rep
1,100
Posts

Drives: orange BMW 1M.
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
And this is exactly why manuals are going away.

"But the DCT is 0.05s faster!!!!!"
TOTALLY. oh hey and let's not forget the dude stuck in a starbucks drive thru waiting for his chai latte; arguing with people that his car's nurburgring lap time is 2 seconds faster with his dynamic DCT gearbox yo....
I think In general people are just being misled to begin with. They believe what they read! Ohh, the internet said so....it must be true?

This newer generation of kids don't even know what to look for in a car? What good handling or feedback is?

I really stress it among my boys 19 and 14, and the oldest knew how to drive a MT at age 15.

He is recently the new owner of a 2002 330i that I picked up on BAT for close to nothing! However, he can appreciate the car and how it handles and drives and he loves rowing his own gears! Pretty cool! But, sad thing is he is the only person his age that he knows that can drive a manual 😩

Here is a pic of his new (to him) ride 😁
That is a storming deal. $8500 for a car with 63k miles on it?! Looks clean as hell. Looked up with BAT sold auctions....non-ZHP but has ZHP wheels.
__________________
don't read this. too late...
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M319.00

      12-09-2018, 07:36 PM   #25
Tornado1M
Lieutenant
Tornado1M's Avatar
United_States
319
Rep
419
Posts

Drives: 1M, X5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4nut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Is that a ZHP?
The wheels say yes
No, not a ZHP!

Rims are brand new tho
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2018, 07:42 PM   #26
Tornado1M
Lieutenant
Tornado1M's Avatar
United_States
319
Rep
419
Posts

Drives: 1M, X5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
And this is exactly why manuals are going away.

"But the DCT is 0.05s faster!!!!!"
TOTALLY. oh hey and let's not forget the dude stuck in a starbucks drive thru waiting for his chai latte; arguing with people that his car's nurburgring lap time is 2 seconds faster with his dynamic DCT gearbox yo....
I think In general people are just being misled to begin with. They believe what they read! Ohh, the internet said so....it must be true?

This newer generation of kids don't even know what to look for in a car? What good handling or feedback is?

I really stress it among my boys 19 and 14, and the oldest knew how to drive a MT at age 15.

He is recently the new owner of a 2002 330i that I picked up on BAT for close to nothing! However, he can appreciate the car and how it handles and drives and he loves rowing his own gears! Pretty cool! But, sad thing is he is the only person his age that he knows that can drive a manual 😩

Here is a pic of his new (to him) ride 😁
That is a storming deal. $8500 for a car with 63k miles on it?! Looks clean as hell. Looked up with BAT sold auctions....non-ZHP but has ZHP wheels.
Thanks!

Felt like I stole it! Car is in fantastic shape and drives like a dream. Just a very fun engaging car to drive

My son is thrilled with it and now all his buddies want to learn how to drive a manual....but, not on this beauty! lol!!!!

Best thing we really figured out when we got the car was that a Dynavin System was put in to replace the OEM Head Unit. They look 100% OEM but now gives us Bluetooth phone, Bluetooth music, navigation and a backup camera!!!!! It's effing awesome and brings the car up to date. Here is a pic of it...
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 3
Gangplank1198.50

      12-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #27
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
seis-speed's Avatar
United_States
896
Rep
1,215
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Planet Earth

iTrader: (0)

My oldest is 12 and I tell her she is going to learn to drive on a manual. Thankfully the new civic and the new corolla are offered in a low hp 6mt.

My sister had my nephew drive a manual and it keeps them (teenagers) more attentive to the driving experience and more alert while driving, at least in our opinions....

Selfishly, I hate any and all automatic cars, so there is that as well
Appreciate 2
      12-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #28
SleepingBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
176
Rep
298
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I think people build cars up in their minds and buy cars they really know nothing about then realize they weren’t as hard core as the car they dreamt about was.

What I don’t get is he expects you to pay for his mistake and essentially pay full price for a now used car. Who knows how he drove it the first 1200 miles. You can pay the same price for a new one even if you need to wait a couple months. The market is now littered with M2s which will be the same for the M2Cs. I’d rather buy used or CPO and take less of a depreciation hit.
Dumb ad, agreed.

As a general rule, it doesn't make much sense to buy a new BMW, especially a performance model or a convertible, since so many of them end up being lightly used and then dumped onto the second hand market at ~40% off after a couple of years. I have profited from that reality several times in the last few years. Nonetheless, some people don't like to buy used cars. If you are buying new, it really only makes (economic) sense if you are going to own the car long enough that you don't care how much it has depreciated when you decide to get rid of it.
You need to own a New car for 6 years to lose less money than a lease.

Obviously the lightly used being the way to go.

Heavy used you'll get stuck with expensive repairs to balance out your financial problems somewhat.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2018, 01:00 PM   #29
CarJunkie
Major
United_States
409
Rep
1,369
Posts

Drives: e82 1M, e30 325e, f15 X5 40e
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tri-Cities, Washington

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1986 BMW 325e  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
2018 BMW X5 xDrive40e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
And this is exactly why manuals are going away.

"But the DCT is 0.05s faster!!!!!"
TOTALLY. oh hey and let's not forget the dude stuck in a starbucks drive thru waiting for his chai latte; arguing with people that his car's nurburgring lap time is 2 seconds faster with his dynamic DCT gearbox yo....
I think In general people are just being misled to begin with. They believe what they read! Ohh, the internet said so....it must be true?

This newer generation of kids don't even know what to look for in a car? What good handling or feedback is?

I really stress it among my boys 19 and 14, and the oldest knew how to drive a MT at age 15.

He is recently the new owner of a 2002 330i that I picked up on BAT for close to nothing! However, he can appreciate the car and how it handles and drives and he loves rowing his own gears! Pretty cool! But, sad thing is he is the only person his age that he knows that can drive a manual 😩

Here is a pic of his new (to him) ride 😁
I got an e30 325e for my kids to learn with. It's a must!
__________________
Power mods: K&N panel filter, ER chargepipe, AD engineering FMIC, Mad Dad midpipe, BMS OCC, MHD, F10 550i clutch
Chassis mods: Ohlins Road and Track, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 convertible front sway bar
Appreciate 2
      12-10-2018, 10:18 PM   #30
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
FIRSTM's Avatar
United_States
110
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FLORIDA

iTrader: (0)

taught my son and nephew in the 1M, my son now 21 and driving a SI, 6sp MT
Appreciate 3
      12-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #31
ayao
Thread killer
407
Rep
1,684
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRSTM View Post
taught my son and nephew in the 1M, my son now 21 and driving a SI, 6sp MT
Respect!
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #32
M3 Adjuster
Lieutenant General
M3 Adjuster's Avatar
Albania
7672
Rep
11,525
Posts

Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx

iTrader: (0)

My daughter is on her second E46 325 Vert.

I picked this one up for $7500 three years ago with around 90k miles.

Currently they are available all day long for 5-7k with low mileage in 325 and 330 form , unfortunately hers is an automatic. But it's a great car for a HS or a college kid.
Attached Images
 
__________________
ALWAYS BET ON BLACK!
Lone Star BMW CCA Chapter Ex-president (retired 2017) , Chief Driving Instructor - LIFETIME Member # 119366
If you don't STAND for something.. you'll FALL for anything
Past: 1991 BMW E30 M3 street car ; 1988 BMW E30 M3 track car -
Appreciate 4
Tornado1M319.00
FIRSTM109.50
1M Tex124.00

      12-14-2018, 08:42 PM   #33
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
FIRSTM's Avatar
United_States
110
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FLORIDA

iTrader: (0)

I might go this route for my other son, only 15, learning auto for now on a honda accord, pass me down from grandpa lol
Appreciate 2
      12-15-2018, 08:10 AM   #34
dkat
Private
77
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: 2000 BMW Z8 & 2011 1M
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Another bonus - my son had a manual transmission car while he was away in college. Many times I hear of kids borrowing cars from others. This is something that does not thrill me from a liability standpoint. Not one of his buddies knew how to drive it. No one ever borrowed it
Appreciate 4
Gangplank1198.50
FIRSTM109.50

      12-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #35
Tornado1M
Lieutenant
Tornado1M's Avatar
United_States
319
Rep
419
Posts

Drives: 1M, X5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkat View Post
Another bonus - my son had a manual transmission car while he was away in college. Many times I hear of kids borrowing cars from others. This is something that does not thrill me from a liability standpoint. Not one of his buddies knew how to drive it. No one ever borrowed it
Perfect! 🙏
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2018, 10:56 AM   #36
M3 Adjuster
Lieutenant General
M3 Adjuster's Avatar
Albania
7672
Rep
11,525
Posts

Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkat View Post
Another bonus - my son had a manual transmission car while he was away in college. Many times I hear of kids borrowing cars from others. This is something that does not thrill me from a liability standpoint. Not one of his buddies knew how to drive it. No one ever borrowed it
Perfect! 🙏
This is absolutely true. I have a car guy friend of mine that began allowing his son to drive his low mileage weekend car , E36 M3 to school.

When I asked him if this was prudent , He immediately laughed and said, it's a Manual and none of his friends know how to drive it. His son has of course been through a street survival class as well as other training but the concern of friends wanting to joy drive it is simply not there.

A lot of millennials get a pickup truck for their first vehicle these days, let alone all the auto and DCT matics of newer cars.

Finally as an added note. Locating 6MT 330 models can be difficult locally , depending on how well BMW CCA club racing is doing in the area. They is a spec E46 class where the 330 is the spec car that is used. If my daughters car had a roof on it .. I would have traded her back because the E46 is the new E30. These are fairly simple to work on , rather reliable when kept in stock form , and there is a great support network on the internet with E46 forums whether you want the car as a daily commuter or as a race car.
__________________
ALWAYS BET ON BLACK!
Lone Star BMW CCA Chapter Ex-president (retired 2017) , Chief Driving Instructor - LIFETIME Member # 119366
If you don't STAND for something.. you'll FALL for anything
Past: 1991 BMW E30 M3 street car ; 1988 BMW E30 M3 track car -
Appreciate 4
Tornado1M319.00
ayao407.00
1M Tex124.00
FIRSTM109.50

      12-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #37
ayao
Thread killer
407
Rep
1,684
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
This is absolutely true. I have a car guy friend of mine that began allowing his son to drive his low mileage weekend car , E36 M3 to school.

When I asked him if this was prudent , He immediately laughed and said, it's a Manual and none of his friends know how to drive it. His son has of course been through a street survival class as well as other training but the concern of friends wanting to joy drive it is simply not there.

A lot of millennials get a pickup truck for their first vehicle these days, let alone all the auto and DCT matics of newer cars.

Finally as an added note. Locating 6MT 330 models can be difficult locally , depending on how well BMW CCA club racing is doing in the area. They is a spec E46 class where the 330 is the spec car that is used. If my daughters car had a roof on it .. I would have traded her back because the E46 is the new E30. These are fairly simple to work on , rather reliable when kept in stock form , and there is a great support network on the internet with E46 forums whether you want the car as a daily commuter or as a race car.
Stop giving me ideas.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2018, 07:43 PM   #38
trey100
Colonel
trey100's Avatar
664
Rep
2,149
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016 View Post
I cannot believe how many 2017 M2's are for sale for in the LOW 40's! With under 10k miles.
Why is it surprising? They are essentially 2 years old and it was a $55k car new. A little negotiating maybe $52-53k. Losing 10k over 2 years is actually very little depreciation. There are 2016 M3's and M4s that are down to $48k or so. That's 25-30k depreciation.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 09:04 PM   #39
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
63
Rep
245
Posts

Drives: 1M - Black
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Scottsdale,AZ

iTrader: (0)

Two dealers near me wanted $10k over MSRP last year.

And Let's just say $52k. So $57k out the door. They're asking $41k, so with the same assumptions, you get it for $39k - and that is for a hyped M car that was selling for over sticker here.
__________________
2011 - 1M - Black
2017 - Honda Accord Sport SE - Black - Manual
2007 - Z4M Coupe - Black (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 09:05 PM   #40
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
63
Rep
245
Posts

Drives: 1M - Black
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Scottsdale,AZ

iTrader: (0)

Forgot to mention, they're now in the high $30's, and that is the asking price....

In Arizona buying used cars from private parties is a plus because you don't pay any sales tax. This was a huge perk for my 1M purchase.
__________________
2011 - 1M - Black
2017 - Honda Accord Sport SE - Black - Manual
2007 - Z4M Coupe - Black (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2018, 06:03 AM   #41
10"
Major
10"'s Avatar
1714
Rep
1,100
Posts

Drives: orange BMW 1M.
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016 View Post
Forgot to mention, they're now in the high $30's, and that is the asking price....

In Arizona buying used cars from private parties is a plus because you don't pay any sales tax. This was a huge perk for my 1M purchase.
High 20s and I am buying a beater!!!
__________________
don't read this. too late...
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 06:13 AM   #42
Tornado1M
Lieutenant
Tornado1M's Avatar
United_States
319
Rep
419
Posts

Drives: 1M, X5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016 View Post
Forgot to mention, they're now in the high $30's, and that is the asking price....

In Arizona buying used cars from private parties is a plus because you don't pay any sales tax. This was a huge perk for my 1M purchase.
High 20s and I am buying a beater!!!
20's??????

Details my friend....
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 07:02 AM   #43
10"
Major
10"'s Avatar
1714
Rep
1,100
Posts

Drives: orange BMW 1M.
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016 View Post
Forgot to mention, they're now in the high $30's, and that is the asking price....

In Arizona buying used cars from private parties is a plus because you don't pay any sales tax. This was a huge perk for my 1M purchase.
High 20s and I am buying a beater!!!
20's??????

Details my friend....
Hasn't happened yet lol...but it will! And when it does I will get one to throw around the city
__________________
don't read this. too late...
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M319.00

      12-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #44
duder13
Lieutenant
duder13's Avatar
457
Rep
550
Posts

Drives: Cashmere
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Hasn't happened yet lol...but it will! And when it does I will get one to throw around the city
Donít do it! The day you buy an M2 beater is the day youíve become a victim of the collectibility of the 1M. Your 1M is fine for throwing around the city.
Appreciate 2
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST