BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-23-2020, 05:47 AM   #1
Kretzj
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Add CIC controller to Android unit

Hello,

I have a non idrive 135i and I also just bought an android unit that came with a very cheap imitation CIC idrive controller. I am interested in swapping to a real CIC controller if this is even possible. My knockoff controller has 4 pins (yellow,black,green,gr/blk) that plug into the android and the other end has an additional black wire (5 now) that plug into the controller. From what I can see, a real idrive controller has a 4 pin connector on it. Any ideas if this retrofit is possible or am I stuck with the cheap chinese CIC controller?

Thanks,
Jon
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 11:14 PM   #2
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kretzj View Post
Hello,

I have a non idrive 135i and I also just bought an android unit that came with a very cheap imitation CIC idrive controller. I am interested in swapping to a real CIC controller if this is even possible. My knockoff controller has 4 pins (yellow,black,green,gr/blk) that plug into the android and the other end has an additional black wire (5 now) that plug into the controller. From what I can see, a real idrive controller has a 4 pin connector on it. Any ideas if this retrofit is possible or am I stuck with the cheap chinese CIC controller?

Thanks,
Jon
At the moment you will stuck with the cheap chinese controller.
Atough your 4 Pin connector has power and CAN as the OEM controller does require the controller does require a special wakeup signal to stay alive.
This Wakeup is only provided by a OEM Navigation headunit, so you would need to install at least a oem Nav HU, which is then causing you troubles as your retrofitted Android System likely does have no Display connetor for this.

There are two projects ongoing at the moment to hopefully make it possible in the future to have a OEM controller running on this system withour factory nav, but this still may take some time.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 03:22 PM   #3
Windy5000
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
At the moment you will stuck with the cheap chinese controller.
Atough your 4 Pin connector has power and CAN as the OEM controller does require the controller does require a special wakeup signal to stay alive.
Kri

Kri, my knowledge on connected drive is weak.

I have the original 8 Inch CIC enclosure unit, therefore i shouldn't experience any issues in wake up when retrofitting an aftermarket unit such as the Belsee 10.25inch screen.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 02:16 AM   #4
1st2nd8th
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i

I've done this retrofit and my cic controller works on android and the cic nav. What android did you use?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 12:28 PM   #5
rodsarria
Registered
Peru
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
There are two projects ongoing at the moment to hopefully make it possible in the future to have a OEM controller running on this system withour factory nav, but this still may take some time.
Hey Kri, thanks for keeping us up-to-date. Do have any news about the two projects of retrofitting the OEM controller to a non-iDrive Android screen?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 04:24 AM   #6
Luice Dingols
Registered
Rep
Drives: f20

Hello! I recently became the owner of the BMW 1 Series E81 2011
I plan to buy a head unit on Android OS, but before that, I want to study in detail all the aspects, difficulties, and possible consequences of such an undertaking.
I have a 2011 model.
Maybe someone already installed it, please share your experience, I will be very grateful. Found this one.
Many THX)
Maybe you know?
Appreciate 0