BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #23
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

I ordered mine from getbmwparts.com

Had the dealer here do the flash (they charged me 1 hour labour to do it) will be installing all the hard parts myself. Was cheaper than getting employee pricing on the PPK1 here.

I think the PPK1 from getbmwparts is only $600 or something?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #24
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08EX
You guys are making me want to get the PPK2!!!

Now it makes sense why I don't get much burbles when letting off the throttle...
the burbles are worth the money! lol
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #25
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
the burbles are worth the money! lol
I suppose if you pay for them, better make as many happen as possible to get your money's worth and lower your per burble effective price.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #26
___whoosh___
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

I just installed a PE on my wife's E90 on Sunday
very well made and great exhaust
If I wasn't rocking all cp-e goodies on my 135i I would have a PE on mine too
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #27
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Revived!

This seemed like a logical place to post...

I threw my PE on two months ago/probably 2000ish km (1300 +/- miles). Might be more or less. Anyway it's been hovering between 27-35 degrees C out lately (81-95 Deg F) and I drove about 600km up from Lethbridge to Edmonton last Sunday in +35. I've since noticed the exhaust just sounds a lot more aggressive and seems to sound much better in this warmer weather. More gurgles and such too. Is this just the temp assisting with the exhaust breaking in, or could it be the pipes are just a bit larger in diameter with the warmer temps?

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 04:58 PM   #28
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

PPK1 and PPK2 have the same pops and crackles, since it's the same software tune. The only difference is the additional cooling hardware that is part of PPK2, which is really only necessary if you will track your car and such. And, of course PPK2 is more expensive.
      07-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #29
Tricki
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Here is the sound of my PPK1 with stock exhaust

Appreciate 1
      07-03-2015, 06:41 PM   #30
Tricki
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Appreciate 1
      07-03-2015, 07:00 PM   #31
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricki View Post
Here is the sound of my PPK1 with stock exhaust
Not too shabby.
      07-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #32
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban
PPK1 and PPK2 have the same pops and crackles, since it's the same software tune. The only difference is the additional cooling hardware that is part of PPK2, which is really only necessary if you will track your car and such. And, of course PPK2 is more expensive.
I don't have the PPK kit at all lol, just the PE.

My question was more related to sound being impacted by exterior temp

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 10:23 PM   #33
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AddictsAnonymous View Post
I don't have the PPK kit at all lol, just the PE.

My question was more related to sound being impacted by exterior temp
Sorry, but I really wasn't trying to answer your question and wasn't directing my comments at you. I was referring more to things that were mentioned earlier in the thread. It looks like with your JB4, etc. though, you don't really need PPK.
      07-04-2015, 10:54 PM   #34
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bucket of screws and sadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
Sorry, but I really wasn't trying to answer your question and wasn't directing my comments at you. I was referring more to things that were mentioned earlier in the thread. It looks like with your JB4, etc. though, you don't really need PPK.
Ok, so I guess this actually answers a question I was going to ask (which I guess I'm about to anyway, isn't that grand?). I was wondering if the PPK kits were useful to someone like me who has a car built on non-BMW upgrade parts. It looks like there may be one or two parts in the kits which there are no off-brand equivalent for, but mostly they seem like they are intended for people who wish to upgrade their car, but stay within BMW brand for upgrade parts. I guess the preceeding two posts says that it's mostly the latter.

I just want the sick over the top burbling. I get some burble now, but some of the clips in this thread show some burble that is on a different level. What part of the upgrade kit enhances that sound? Is it possible to get that sound enhancement without the PPK kits?
      07-05-2015, 12:06 AM   #35
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW135pls View Post
Ok, so I guess this actually answers a question I was going to ask (which I guess I'm about to anyway, isn't that grand?). I was wondering if the PPK kits were useful to someone like me who has a car built on non-BMW upgrade parts. It looks like there may be one or two parts in the kits which there are no off-brand equivalent for, but mostly they seem like they are intended for people who wish to upgrade their car, but stay within BMW brand for upgrade parts. I guess the preceeding two posts says that it's mostly the latter.

I just want the sick over the top burbling. I get some burble now, but some of the clips in this thread show some burble that is on a different level. What part of the upgrade kit enhances that sound? Is it possible to get that sound enhancement without the PPK kits?
I believe it's the software that creates the sound.

PPK 2 would be useful if you track your car a lot due to the second oil cooler. PPK 1 is just the software if I remember correctly.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 12:12 AM   #36
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm no expert, but I believe the pops and crackles are from gas exploding in the exhaust, which is part of the PPK software tune. Again, no expert but I think I've read where you can have PPK with a piggyback tune like JB4 and you'll still get all the sounds associated with PPK. Someone who knows more please chime in.

Last edited by Esteban; 07-05-2015 at 03:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 04:14 AM   #37
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Here is a pretty good example of PPK and PE. This car is a 135is with PPK2, but as stated in another post in this thread and other places, PPK1 and PPK2 software tunes are the same, with the only difference being the cooling hardware that comes with PPK2, so they sound the same. This video and car are not mine but belong to another member:

07-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #38
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bucket of screws and sadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
I'm no expert, but I believe the pops and crackles are from gas exploding in the exhaust, which is part of the PPK software tune. Again, no expert but I think I've read where you can have PPK with a piggyback tune like JB4 and you'll still get all the sounds associated with PPK. Someone who knows more please chime in.
Oh def, I know the sound is unburnt gas thrown into the exhaust track, but is the PPK really the only tune that increases this effect? Lots of performance mods/pro tunes exist, and it is a bit strange to think that only one of them is capable of causing more exhaust burble. Could I get that with a different tune? Maybe make a special request to a tuner? Or might that come with negative effects on performance? It's just weird that nobody says "hey, get an aftermarket tune, it'll increase burble" no, only "get the ppk, it increases burble." You'd think it would be any tune would increase it.

Last edited by BMW135pls; 07-05-2015 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 10:28 PM   #39
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh def, I know the sound is unburnt gas thrown into the exhaust track, but is the PPK really the only tune that increases this effect? Lots of performance mods/pro tunes exist, and it is a bit strange to think that only one of them is capable of causing more exhaust burble. Could I get that with a different tune? Maybe make a special request to a tuner? Or might that come with negative effects on performance? It's just weird that nobody says "hey, get an aftermarket tune, it'll increase burble" no, only "get the ppk, it increases burble." You'd think it would be any tune would increase it.
This member says his car has "more burbles and cracks than the PPK." He has JB4 with backend flash and his midpipes are not stock. Haven't heard it so don't know what it sounds like. Here's his post:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...53&postcount=6

Last edited by Esteban; 07-06-2015 at 04:06 AM..
Appreciate 1