BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-25-2007, 12:34 PM   #199
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto_za View Post
when is the tii expected to be released??
Currently it's just a Concept so... never? :iono:

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #200
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
But the first peek at the E92 M3 had a concept plate on it as well so who knows indeed.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 02:34 PM   #201
EniLab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post

All contemporary BMW concepts showcase upcoming production models.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 05:49 PM   #202
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I just can't picture this tii edition comming with a smaller engine/less power than the 135i model, as some have speculated. First of all the weight savings on a stout high boosted turbo-4 compared to the TT-6 would be negligable to begin with, and would require more costs in re-engineering.

You can take it to the bank this car, if it happens, will be pricier than the regular 135i just based on the sorts of parts and materials seen in the pictures. (Whether or not they really cost more or not is highly immaterial. It's merely public perception that matters...) Look at the S2000 CR, overall that thing sucks, but that didn't stop Honda from slapping a several thousand dollar premium onto the pricetag.)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #203
murellus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 x3m40i

If this were to be introduced, and came out with a 4cyl turbo motor putting out less hp than a 135 but at significant weight savings (total, through a smaller motor, lighter seats/components) i would pay a premium for it over a 135.

first post!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #204
Redline
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I would buy a 2.0L N/A high reving engine from BMW if it was available

However if it comes with 2.0L Turbo, I'll settle with that too.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 08:32 PM   #205
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

2007 BMW 1-series tii Automobile Magazine

2007 BMW 1-series tii

By Sam Smith

This is it, folks. This is the one the BMW diehards have been waiting for, the car that gives them a reason to haunt new-car showrooms, the car that should have come along years ago. It's not an M3; hell, it doesn't even get a Motorsport badge. Chances are, it may not even be that fast. But if they deem to build it, we can almost guarantee that it'll be fantastic.

Why should you care?

Simple. Here's why:

Forty years ago, a struggling German company brought a small, two-door sedan to America.

Forty years ago, that car effectively created a segment.

Forty years ago, a struggling Germany company was suddenly no longer struggling. And forty years ago, every sports car freak from here to East Bumbletuck had their minds blown by a car that looked like a rounded shoebox.

That car was BMW's 1600, and the variants it spawned - including a two-liter sibling known as the 2002 and a fuel-injected, 140-hp version known as the 2002tii (for Touring International Injection)- essentially built BMW's empire.

They also created a reputation that no litany of Bangle butts or iDrive knobs has yet to undo: BMW builds sport sedans. They are small, light, efficient, and fun. They last almost forever. And the cars that they build will show a clean pair of taillights - and a trunklid, and a usable back seat - to any number of pricier thoroughbreds.

And so we have the 1-series, the latest - and quite possibly the best - in a long line of small, compact, fun-to-drive Bavarian cars. In terms of concept, personality, and size, it's the closest thing to a 1600 or 2002 to come out of Munich in some time. More importantly, it's not just for Europe; BMW recently announced that a two-door, six-cylinder coupe version will be sold in the United States next year.

The car in these pictures takes its name from the 2002tii. (No BMW has worn the "tii" badge since that car ceased production in 1974.) What you're looking at is just a styling concept, but it's also a concept that BMW executives admit they would love to see in production. It takes its cues from a number of past BMW models, including the iconic early-'70s 3.0CSL coupe (note the windsplits on the hood) and the first-generation M3 (note the heavily bolstered rear seats). It's aimed at track and motorsport customers, but it's also obviously intended to be first and foremost a street car.

What the 1-series tii really means, though, is that BMW is once again paying attention. It means that the same spirit that created the E46 M3 CSL, the E39 M5, the E30 M3, and the 2002tii is still alive and kicking within the company.

That the 1-series exists is a fine thing in itself; that we're going to see a version stateside is marvelous.

That we have a shot at a hot, lightweight, enthusiast-oriented version?

That's damn near fantastic.

Sure, the name is a bit of a misnomer; the original tii wasn't a track car, and the badge essentially means nothing today (try finding a production BMW with a carburetor, why don'tcha).

But in the big scheme of things, these are niggling points.

The company line out of Munich is that production possibilities for the tii are dependent on public reaction.

That said, we have a reaction of our own: Build it already.

We've waited long enough.

1-series Tii concept features:

-Carbon-fiber hood, mirror caps, rear diffuser, and front air intakes

-A claimed "significant reduction in overall weight" according to BMW

-Trunk-mounted Gurney flaps aimed at reducing rear lift at high speed

-Hood-mounted windsplits aimed at increasing straight-line stability (a'la 3.0CSL)

-Racing-type front seats with harness holes, integrated headrests, and side airbags

-Alcantara-covered dash, shift knob, steering wheel, and door panels

-Tii-unique air intakes on rocker panels

-White tachometer, steering wheel spokes, and door handles

-Blue-colored six-piston front brake calipers, tow hook mounting point, driver's seat stitching, driver's seatbelt

-18-inch alloy wheels

-Mesh front grille slats

-The hopes and dreams of the Automobile Staff that it will be produced

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 08:40 PM   #206
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Concept 1 Series tii has track cred

READY TO PLAY: This is what BMW designers think a competition version of the 1 Series Coupé might look like.

IMAGINE THIS WITH A 335 TWIN-TURBO ENGINE...

Concept 1 Series tii has track cred

DOWNFORCE WITH STYLE: The discreet boot-mounted spoiler and rear diffuser of the BMW Concept 1 Series tii, are made of carbon fibre.

October 25, 2007

Just ahead of its market release on November 24, BMW designers have given an insight into what an out-and-out motorsport special based on the 1 Series Coupé might look like.

The centrepiece on the BMW stand at the Tokyo auto show that open this week is the Concept 1 Series tii, the name harking back to the 2002tii sports coupé of the 1970s.

The first thing you see is its striking colour scheme with alpine white body panels, a visible carbon-fibre bonnet, black and white go-fast stripes and blue trim.

Carbon-fibre mirrors and air-intake ducts reduce weight and lower the centre of gravity while the carbon-fibre bonnet has fins like those on the legendary BMW 3.0 CSL to control air-flow over the front of the car.

It's clearly a 1 Series Coupé but with serious track cred: the front bumper and valence have been redesigned to deliver more air to the engine and brakes system and the kidney grilles have mesh in place of their usual vertical slats

The concept has deep side sills incorporating air ducts for the rear brakes and special, 18" five-spoked alloy "dark chrome" alloy rims, with a carbon-fibre, boot-mounted spoiler and rear bumper insert.

The motorsport emphasis continues inside with body-hugging bucket seats and an alcantara-trimmed, three-spoke steering wheel with body-colour inserts.

The roof lining, door linings and instrument panel are also trimmed in alcantara, while a white-faced rev-counter with red needles dominates the instrument cluster.

BMW won't say what's under the bonnet or whether it has plans to develop the Concept 1 Series tii for production.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 08:58 PM   #207
davidl
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325, 91 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
I would buy a 2.0L N/A high reving engine from BMW if it was available

However if it comes with 2.0L Turbo, I'll settle with that too.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 09:00 PM   #208
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl View Post
+1
I'll take the 3.0 twin-turbo. I've done the high-reving 2liter for a while now.
      10-25-2007, 09:05 PM   #209
brakefade
Rep
Drives:

^^ +1
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 09:06 PM   #210
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakefade View Post
^^ +1

10-25-2007, 10:46 PM   #211
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelk View Post
dude i think you misinterpreted my tone. i wasn't trying to give you a hard time. i was curious myself and went back and looked.... just spreading the info i found. no offense meant. :drinking:
No worries man. It's hard to get tone through the forum. Sometimes, 'actually' comes off wrong.

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #212
sirploppy
5 Star General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Right there with you brother... :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #213
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
+4, well, not as of recent, but after owning a BMW I6, I dont want to go back.................ever...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #214
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirploppy View Post
Right there with you brother... :biggrin:
Welcome fellow s2k'er
      10-26-2007, 10:02 AM   #215
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Thanks DNA...

That sums up everything I've been saying since the 1 series and more ecently the tii concept have come out.

Alot of 335 owners are confused with the release of this "better" 1 series. The 3 series has shifted into the 5 series market of just a decade ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 11:13 AM   #216
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

BMW tii concept

October 23, 2007 11:57 PM PDT

BMW tii concept

Posted by Wayne Cunningham

(Credit: CNET Networks)

BMW showed an interest in mining its past with the CS concept, first shown at the 2007 Shanghai auto show. The company follows this theme with the tii concept here at the 2007 Tokyo auto show. This concept is based on the very real and very exciting 135i Coupe, BMW's new small car with the very big engine. If the 135i Coupe isn't enough car for you, the tii concept should certainly be.

BMW didn't bother to change the engine or interior electronics for the concept, instead opting for some bodywork. The tii gets a lightened load through the use of carbon-fiber body components. Its racing stripe, black across the white car, goes negative when it hits the black hood. We like that BMW brings the tii name back, an extension applied to turbocharged versions of the legendary BMW 2002. But we would like to see round tail lights on this little flivver.

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 01:37 PM   #217
sirploppy
5 Star General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

What about a tweaked version of the twin turbo 6, with ECU upgrades resulting in power north of 350bhp?

The aftermarket is already seeing 50+HP gains with even more torque improvement and the engine seems to be taking it in stride.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 04:50 PM   #218
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

BMW Concept 1 Series tii — autobild.de — 24.10.2007

BMW Concept 1 Series tii — autobild.de — 24.10.2007

Back into the seventies

1971 provided the contraction "tii" for the first time for increased pulse with all positively Begasten and Motorsportbegeisteren. Functions also 2007: In Tokyo those present Bavaria a 1er-Coupé with racing genes.

From Stephan Baehnisch the contraction tii stood in the 70's for the Top model of the legendary "02"-Baureihe, conceived for large successes in the road running circus and small success experiences on lonely cross-country runways. Now BMW resumes this concept - technically as optical: On the Tokyo engine those test show 2007 Bavaria the reactions to the study "BMW Concept 1 Series tii". Basis is the 135i Coupé. The prescription might be thus clear: small car, large driving fun. The proven formula for it: Weight down, achievement up.

BMW blocked hood, mirror housing, air intakes with tii the plentifully carbon fiber reinforced plastic, among other things in front as well as tail apron and spoiler of the lightweight construction Diaet submitted. BMW under-paints the dynamic packing with Finns optical on the coloured set off hood and longitudinal strips, which pull themselves also over the roof. Fat 18-Zoeller including tires of size 215/40 in front and 235/35 in the back as well as a blue painted six-piston brake assembly rounds the optical Rosskur off. Under the hood that finds strong Biturbo from the 135i place, in the study to originally 306 HP it on 340 HP was brought.

Typically tii: Outside and inside completely in the indication of the sport

Inside the festival of the sport continues. Bowl seats take the driver in the pliers, door linings and tightening assistance were modified. By the smaller three-spoke sport steering wheel with white set off props the view of the white set off tachometer, dark Alcantara falls forms a delightful contrast in addition. Whether the brother lightweight construction comes in a small series, is officially still open. Appetite makes, also and straight 36 years tii for the in any case after first tii.

More over the new Topmodell of the 1er-Baureihe gives it starting from Friday in AUTO FIG. to 43/2007.

Suitably: the first driving report of the BMW 135i Coupé.

How the Dynamiker on the racing course strikes itself, AUTO PICTURE analyzes likewise in the new booklet. The suitable picture gallery gives it starting from Friday on autobild.de - together with a large Tokyo-specially.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 08:28 PM   #219
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Winding Road Tokyo Motor Show: BMW Concept 1-Series tii

Tokyo Motor Show: BMW Concept 1-Series tii

October 24th, 2007 4:19 AM

Those who think the 1-series is a spiritual successor to the BMW 2002 just got a nod from BMW. The Concept 1-series tii promises improved driving dynamics over the regular 1-series models and may be a smart way for BMW to avoid the pressure to build an M1.

Though no engine details were released, we’re confident the tii won’t be powered by the twin-turbo 3.0-liter inline-six. Why you ask? Because the original tii was about light weight, not raw power. A 2.0-liter four-cylinder producing 170 horsepower is a possibility.

We’d love to know why BMW decided to put the tii way in the back of its stand and make it nearly impossible to photograph. Anyway, these are the best images we could pull off from the BMW stand.

If you’d like to learn more about the tii concept, be sure to read yesterday’s post and don’t forget to check out all the high-res photos below.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 06:05 AM   #220
DaniM
France
Rep
Drives: E90

if someone have the VIN number of the Tii I'll give you what engine is under the bonnet
Appreciate 0