BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-01-2007, 09:27 PM   #243
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelk View Post
anyone have a semi-educated opinion on what size rims are on this tii? 18s? 19s? TIA.

I want to say 18's just due to the proportion of the tire profile in relation to the car. I could be wrong. But looking at what BMW Performance parts has to offer that wheel comes in both 18 and 19. :roundel: I might end up getting that wheel just not sure what size.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 10:41 PM   #244
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiisomeday View Post
Why Narrower tires at the rear???
That and the obviously wider tires in front will make the car more neutral handling at the limit (less understeer).
      11-03-2007, 03:45 PM   #245
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

BMW Concept 1 Series Tii Preview

BMW Concept 1 Series Tii Preview

By Laura Burkholder, Road Test Editor, Roadfly.com
October 23, 2007 11:17 pm

In June we brought you news of the BMW 1 Series Coupe and shortly after, in September, we brought the news of the 1 Series Convertible. Now we are proud to bring you BMW’s new motorsport design, the Concept 1 Series tii. The BMW 1 Series Coupe tii will be a youthful take on BMW’s classic brand values.

The 1 Series tii concept just debuted at the Tokyo Motor Show in features that represent the color trinity of BMW’s signature logo. The body is an Alpine White while the dark carbon structure of the carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic (CFP) elements and blue highlights provide a sporty, accentuated contrast. The inlays on the side air intakes in the front air dam, the gurney flap on the rear lid, and the inlay in the rear bumper are all made of CFP, which minimizes weight and axle load. To optimize aerodynamics, special gurney flaps (that are larger on the tii than the regular 1 Series) generate an additional downforce on the rear axle for great driving stability. The air dam is also different from the regular production model’s air dam. With the tii, the front air dam comes on both sides with so-called air splitters and the inside of the side air intakes are coated in CFP.

Styling on the newest BMW Concept supports the contrasting, BMW-heritage color themes, starting with decal stripes that extend from the front headlights all the way to the airflow lip on the rear lid. The bright blue is displayed on the brake calipers, on one of the five wheel bolts on each rim, and on the towing fixture in the front air dam. The blue also highlights the interior with blue seat seams, a blue driver’s seat belt, and a blue decal ring at the bottom of the gearshift. The rest of the interior is finished in alcantara, including the instrument panel, door linings, gear-shift knob, steering wheel, and seats.

New designs to the Concept 1 Series tii are the CFP components, which include the front air dam, the side-sills, rear bumper, rear lid, and the arrangement of the fins on the engine compartment lid. But, most drastic to the standard BMW design is the omission of the standard kidney grille bars that are replaced by a wide honeycomb grid.

The rims are 18” light-alloy rims with a five-spoke design in a dark chrome color scheme. However, when looking at any member of the 1 Series family, it will be hard to overlook the features that made the 2002 from the ‘60s and ‘70s so popular.

The BMW Concept 1 Series tii will prove to be a great vehicle to take to the track, thanks to its agility, aerodynamic design, sportiness, and of course, BMW motorsport heritage.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #246
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Will 335i engine make tii the 1?

Friday, 2 November 2007

Will 335i engine make tii the 1?

Since its debut at the Tokyo Motor Show, the BMW 1-Series tii Concept has caused a stir among the motoring fraternity. There is speculation going this way and that as to whether or not it will receive the nod of approval from the bigwigs in Munich and make it to production.

The lit match was thrown into the petrol when a group of motoring journalists from Autobild in Germany drove a version of the car powered by the 225 kW twin-turbo 3,0-litre engine that does service in the 335i, though they estimated it to produce closer to 260 kW - sparking more debate around a possible “hardcore” version of the 1-Series Coupé that could see production. CARtoday recently reported that the BMW 1-Series tii Concept is heavily motorsport derived - having drawn on the design cues and racing heritage of both the legendary 2002tii and the 3,0-litre CSL.

Although it makes sense for BMW to manufacture a model that is track-ready, there is still a bit of a void in the 1-Series Coupé line-up, as BMW seems to have forgotten all about an “M-option” for the soon-to-be-released coupe – or could the tii be it? In a similar manner to the CSL version of the late E46 M3, the tii is stripped of gadgetry, with an interior clad in alcantara and an exterior defined by various carbon-fibre reinforced plastic parts that could inspire the meekest of drivers with a dose of motoring adrenalin.

The styling doesn’t exactly fool about either, with the car dressed up in a downforce-enhancing, aerodynamically efficient body kit and the interior providing supportive bucket seats that keep the driver planted while his/her hands are fixed on the thick-rimmed sports steering wheel.

How pure is BMW planning to go with the 1-Series Coupé? A car this light and agile equipped with a powered-up version of the 2007 International Engine of the Year and rear-wheel drive will most certainly out-perform the best of competitors in its class.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #247
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep

Oh boy, the Concept tii in production with a SMG/GST manual tranny and a mechanical LSD would drive me crazy.
      11-03-2007, 07:17 PM   #248
Ryephile
Not a Newbie
Rep
Drives:

I heart the tii concept! It's my inspirational aesthetic if I get a 135i next year. Even better if BMW announces a tii package or trim or whatever.
      11-04-2007, 03:15 AM   #249
steinkek
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

The more i read and hear about this the more i cant wait till the "BIG WIGS" decide to put it into production. I know some of you think its rice, but i like it and its far from rice in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #250
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep

I'm starting to consider postponing the 135i purchase awhile to see if the tii turns into a production car.
      11-09-2007, 09:14 AM   #251
Mike Roberts
Sideways just kicked in, yo!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Hi,

I've been reading this thread with some interest this afternoon (well it's afternoon now in the UK)

I don't know if this information will cheer you up, but hopefully it will...

I went to a bemused BMW dealer on the 24th of October after seeing the tii concept photos and basically sat there until they agreed to take a deposit off me for a tii. Once we'd agreed some terms, given I was trying to buy something that didn't technically exist it was agreed that IF it was put into production, my name's first on the list for one..

I got a call from them yesterday confirming BMW's intentions to produce the car. We're looking around Nov 2008 for a 2.0 turbo'd motor in the region of 240ps, lightweight and motorsport focussed version of the 1-series. Fingers crossed for an LSD although quaiff ones are easy enough to retro fit and that interior! prices are approx £25,000 ($50,000). Tuners hopefully won't take too long in extracting some more poke out of it too.

This spec. is ideal for the UK market, as we only have the 120d, 123d & 135i in coupe form which are a little 'grown up' and certainly expensive. A 135i M sport running at around £30,000 ($60,000) before options!!... a thrashy tii is just what it needs to lure the younger buyers out of their Golf (Rabbit) GTIs and such, as BMWs aren't typically driven by anyone less than 30. Plus, with fuel prices over here running at £1 ($2) a litre you need something that's economical when not being thrashed, something a big 6 is not.

I hope you guys over the pond get something similar too, although for your tastes it might be a different motor?

Anyhoo, Hi from the UK - very nice site you have here.

Mike.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #252
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

You've just made a whole bunch of 1addicts' days!! Thanks Mike!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #253
ttdmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Blk Saph/Coral Red

Very interesting news about the tii coming into production around Nov 08.

Thrashy 4 banger.....might be the next cars to be seen cruising Southend.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #254
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Roberts View Post
prices are approx $50,000.
I'm confused here. Are you taking the UK price in pounds and then converting them to dollars or has the BMW dealer said that it would cost that much in the States?

Thank you for information, nonetheless.
      11-09-2007, 09:57 AM   #255
Mike Roberts
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
I'm confused here. Are you taking the UK price in pounds and then converting them to dollars or has the BMW dealer said that it would cost that much in the States?

Thank you for information, nonetheless.
Sorry, I'd converted the UK price to US - in hindsight that's confusing, so I've edited it.

M3 control arms, ARBs, bushes and some other stuff....
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 10:06 AM   #256
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I'd converted the UK price to US - in hindsight that's confusing, so I've edited it.
No, no, no. Thank you! For a second I thought that you were telling me that a 2.0 liter BMW was going to cost me 50,000 dollars!
      11-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #257
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

I've but the sooped up 1 out of my mind. Its waaay to far away according to Scott.
      11-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #258
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Quote:
Hi,

I've been reading this thread with some interest this afternoon (well it's afternoon now in the UK)

I don't know if this information will cheer you up, but hopefully it will...

I went to a bemused BMW dealer on the 24th of October after seeing the tii concept photos and basically sat there until they agreed to take a deposit off me for a tii. Once we'd agreed some terms, given I was trying to buy something that didn't technically exist it was agreed that IF it was put into production, my name's first on the list for one..

I got a call from them yesterday confirming BMW's intentions to produce the car. We're looking around Nov 2008 for a 2.0 turbo'd motor in the region of 240ps, lightweight and motorsport focussed version of the 1-series. Fingers crossed for an LSD although quaiff ones are easy enough to retro fit and that interior! prices are approx £25,000 ($50,000). Tuners hopefully won't take too long in extracting some more poke out of it too.

This spec. is ideal for the UK market, as we only have the 120d, 123d & 135i in coupe form which are a little 'grown up' and certainly expensive. A 135i M sport running at around £30,000 ($60,000) before options!!... a thrashy tii is just what it needs to lure the younger buyers out of their Golf (Rabbit) GTIs and such, as BMWs aren't typically driven by anyone less than 30. Plus, with fuel prices over here running at £1 ($2) a litre you need something that's economical when not being thrashed, something a big 6 is not.

I hope you guys over the pond get something similar too, although for your tastes it might be a different motor?

Anyhoo, Hi from the UK - very nice site you have here.

Mike.

Thanks for the info Mike. Man, I hope it's true and we get the same car here in the U.S.

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 10:14 AM   #259
Mike Roberts
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No, no, no. Thank you! For a second I thought that you were telling me that a 2.0 liter BMW was going to cost me 50,000 dollars!
Ha ha - $50 is 335i convertible money over there, no?

As it happens I'm having a 135i coupe for a weekend test drive in around a fortnight's time - would you guys like a 'real' review?

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 10:17 AM   #260
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Quote:
As it happens I'm having a 135i coupe for a weekend test drive in around a fortnight's time - would you guys like a 'real' review?
Couple of things:
  1. How the hell can you get a weekend test drive? The only thing we can get around here is a 15 minute loop-around-the-dealership's-lot thing. Or, are you a journalist who has connections?
  2. Of course I would like a review! It should be interesting to see how people's thoughts compare with the ho-hum reviews we have read lately.
  3. Pictures too would be nice, if you could.
      11-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #261
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep

This is important news alright. My dealer and SCCA Solo sponsor will have to discuss 135i > tii progression or just wait for the tii.
      11-09-2007, 10:23 AM   #262
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

must be some loyal returning buyer. But that's still awesome news
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 10:32 AM   #263
Mike Roberts
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Couple of things:
  1. How the hell can you get a weekend test drive? The only thing we can get around here is a 15 minute loop-around-the-dealership's-lot thing. Or, are you a journalist who has connections?
  2. Of course I would like a review! It should be interesting to see how people's thoughts compare with the ho-hum reviews we have read lately.
  3. Pictures too would be nice, if you could.
  1. If you've stuck money down on a car, at least a full day's test drive is the norm over here - you want to make sure you're getting what you want for your money...If they refuse, I tell them I'm off to a dealer who will. They kiss ass over here, I'm going to the launch party evening for drinkies and schmoozing too, no doubt so they can convince me I need a load of options I don't want! Sure a guy walking in off the street for a look will just get a 30 minute ride around a set loop, but show them you're serious and anything's possible.
  2. I have no BMW/journalist connections, I wish! I've always had VWs & Audis so this will be a departure to the 'dark side' for me.
  3. OK, review and piccies aren't a problem, in fact it'll be a pleasure (UK BMW forums are not what they should be, so I don't mind doing it for someone who'll appreciate it)

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 10:34 AM   #264
schnell330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

awesome stuff!! But whats the edited price for a tii in US $??

My car doesn't park, it waits
Appreciate 0