BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-26-2015, 09:32 PM   #1
OLEK135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

oil cooler selection - need help

I have spent hours scouring the forums in regards to oil cooler upgrades and have not seen a true consensus.

My stock oil cooler took a hit, so I am upgrading since I need to replace it.

I track the car often and have been able to avoid limp mode but have seen very high temperatures (280).

Brakes have been an issue (on track) and I would prefer an option that does not eliminate airflow ( I have the Fseries dust shields and titanium shims running motul rbf600 and use hawk DTC 70 pads in the front with a rebuilt caliper with upgraded stoptech pistons and performance is great but am replacing the dust boots constantly and my caliper has changed many colors).

I plan on running a cobb app with an upgraded intercooler (most likely AMS with an ER charge pipe).

I am looking at the ER sport oil cooler without the shroud
and
the Dinan Oil cooler

Does the Dinan Oil cooler completely eliminate airflow to the wheel well? I can't tell from the instructions or photos.
(from the instructions:You will carefully mark and trim the right brake duct to fit snugly against the bottom of the Oil Cooler and around the Inner Oil Cooler Hose. This work is a little tedious but when done correctly will leave the right side brake duct flowing well despite the reduction in the outlet area. )

Can I run the ER oil cooler without the shroud? (have seen a few posts about nightmare install, but most included shroud)

Prefer not to pay twice the price of ER for Dinan, but brakes are important and don't plan on upgrading to the big brake kit. This is my daily driver despite 12 track days a year, so not planning on some of the DIY brake ducting solutions. Having independent shop install.

Advice is greatly appreciated, my apologies for my ignorance. (thoughts on advan and mishomoto is welcome)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
HOGGLIFE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/CR 135

I have an ER competition kit with shrouds I will sell for $800 shipped. Great shape. Does what it is supposed to, but I went back to stock. PM me if you are interested.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 11:13 PM   #3
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

I can't comment on the dinan oil cooler, but have installed the ER oil cooler on two of my 135s. The shroud is not what causes the need to eliminate the OE brake duct. The oil cooler is wider and taller than the OE oil cooler. Once the oil cooler is hanging from the bracket, it will cover the hole in the fender liner where the brake duct enters the wheel well. In fact, you will need to cut a fairly larger opening in the fender liner to allow the air to exit the oil cooler. The only issue that I ran into is that when the bumper was reinstalled, the shroud stuck out just a bit to far which caused the bumper to deflect. A little trimming of the shroud with a grinder was all that was required to correct the issue. Also, I wouldn't even consider running the ER oil cooler without the shroud. You would creat a large opening to the engine bay for air to enter freely. This would almost certainly cause a high pressure zone behind the radiator and seriously reduce the radiator's thermal efficiency. Which ever route you go, ditch the nylon braided lines with the reusable fittings and get some SS braided line with permanent crimp fittings. The reuseable fittings are junk, and will eventually cause the lines to split as the are exposed to constant heat and pressure cycles. You can get two lines made up for around $100.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 12:51 AM   #4
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

My Dinan allows for airflow. I used custom ducts to improve flow. There's definitely enough room to rig up a brake duct setup with the Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 09:55 AM   #5
ryan.ferguson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Coupe DCT

Garage List
Take a look at STETT
http://www.shop.stettperformance.com...c?productId=29
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 11:25 PM   #6
OLEK135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGGLIFE View Post
I have an ER competition kit with shrouds I will sell for $800 shipped. Great shape. Does what it is supposed to, but I went back to stock. PM me if you are interested.
Are you selling cause they hang low?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 11:27 PM   #7
OLEK135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
I can't comment on the dinan oil cooler, but have installed the ER oil cooler on two of my 135s. The shroud is not what causes the need to eliminate the OE brake duct. The oil cooler is wider and taller than the OE oil cooler. Once the oil cooler is hanging from the bracket, it will cover the hole in the fender liner where the brake duct enters the wheel well. In fact, you will need to cut a fairly larger opening in the fender liner to allow the air to exit the oil cooler. The only issue that I ran into is that when the bumper was reinstalled, the shroud stuck out just a bit to far which caused the bumper to deflect. A little trimming of the shroud with a grinder was all that was required to correct the issue. Also, I wouldn't even consider running the ER oil cooler without the shroud. You would creat a large opening to the engine bay for air to enter freely. This would almost certainly cause a high pressure zone behind the radiator and seriously reduce the radiator's thermal efficiency. Which ever route you go, ditch the nylon braided lines with the reusable fittings and get some SS braided line with permanent crimp fittings. The reuseable fittings are junk, and will eventually cause the lines to split as the are exposed to constant heat and pressure cycles. You can get two lines made up for around $100.
Thanks. This is great information. Will do SS lines if I end up buying ER. PM sent.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 11:28 PM   #8
OLEK135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
My Dinan allows for airflow. I used custom ducts to improve flow. There's definitely enough room to rig up a brake duct setup with the Dinan.
Thanks. That's good news. Pm sent
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 11:32 PM   #9
OLEK135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.ferguson View Post
Based on what I am reading, this would require me to still get an oe oil cooler, which at that price I'd be inclined to go with Dinan. Am I missing something
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #10
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEK135i View Post
Based on what I am reading, this would require me to still get an oe oil cooler, which at that price I'd be inclined to go with Dinan. Am I missing something
your car doesnt have an OE oil cooler? I thought all 135i did.
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #11
ryan.ferguson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Coupe DCT

Garage List
Quote:
I was under the impression that all 135s come with an oil cooler built in already, do you not have one?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #12
OLEK135i
Private First Class
Rep

per my original post, my oil cooler took a hit, so I need to replace it. So no, at the moment I do not have an OE oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #13
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
per my original post, my oil cooler took a hit, so I need to replace it. So no, at the moment I do not have an OE oil cooler.
NO you would be replacing the OE cooler unit with the Stett performance, it requires you to have had an OE cooler installed at some point because of the filter housing, not the cooler itself. It doesnt reuse the OEM cooler...
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 02:49 PM   #14
OLEK135i
Private First Class
Rep

So the piece that is located in the front bumper is not needed? That is what took a hit and needs replacing. The stett solution does not need it? The photos on the site are confusing. Is the stett replacement located in the bumper or on the engine? (sorry for my very basic description/reference)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #15
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Thanks. This is great information. Will do SS lines if I end up buying ER. PM sent.
This photo gives you an idea of the size of the cut out required in the fender liner.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #16
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
This photo gives you an idea of the size of the cut out required in the fender liner.
Jeez that's huge!

And Olek, yeah the stett is a new (larger) setrab cooler core(the radiator looking thing in the bumper) and mounting bracket, and new lines, fittings, thermostat and oil filter cover.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #17
OLEK135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135TX View Post
Jeez that's huge!

And Olek, yeah the stett is a new (larger) setrab cooler core(the radiator looking thing in the bumper) and mounting bracket, and new lines, fittings, thermostat and oil filter cover.
OK got it. Does it completely block out air getting to the brakes like the ER oil cooler?
Appreciate 0