BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-21-2017, 08:51 PM   #1
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Can a shift boot be removed from its frame and re-mounted onto a new frame?

The previous owner of my car put an ugly shift boot in it and it's now coming off the frame.

I want a BMW Performance shift boot with the white stitching but I can only find them for LHD cars. If I buy one on a LHD frame, is it possible to just remove the boot and remount it onto a frame that will fit a RHD car?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 08:34 AM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I am thinkign this ebay auction shows a RHD boot?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-BMW-...JYi50d&vxp=mtr

Could be a bad picture, reversed or something.

Your best bet is probably a dealership to get the right part, worst case the OEM one that came with the car. Not what you want but at least an improvement.

I'm sure with enough time and patience and the right tools you could transfer a boot from one frame to another, the problem I think is that the leather will simply be cut wrong and in the end it really just won't work.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 05:39 AM   #3
maltocaro
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe n55 bmwp exhaust

They are no longer made for rhd e82's
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 06:32 AM   #4
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
It is possible to remove from the frame. I took the shift boot from the 1M (manual only) and it fit over the DCT frame perfectly.

Your only problem will be going from LHD to RHD with the way the material is laid out.
      02-26-2017, 03:36 AM   #5
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I am thinkign this ebay auction shows a RHD boot?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-BMW-...JYi50d&vxp=mtr

Could be a bad picture, reversed or something.

Your best bet is probably a dealership to get the right part, worst case the OEM one that came with the car. Not what you want but at least an improvement.

I'm sure with enough time and patience and the right tools you could transfer a boot from one frame to another, the problem I think is that the leather will simply be cut wrong and in the end it really just won't work.
I ended up buying this one, as I had been watching it for a while. The picture definitely shows a RHD frame but given that the seller is in the US, I'm just going to assume it's for a LHD and they've just used a stock image they have found somewhere online.

I had a look at mine today and it seems it's not even glued on, it's just mounted with a few slits in the alcantara pulled over some tabs on the frame. So I'm going to try and remove this new one from the frame and mount it onto my existing frame.

Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and maybe I can resell it and then just revert back to the OEM leather boot.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #6
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

When I put my Redline leather shift boot on, I swapped it to the stock frame. My stock boot was glued on everywhere if I remember correctly. Was a pretty big pain the ass to get off without breaking the plastic, but it came off.