BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-09-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
Liquidsk8s
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i N55

2012 135i DCT Engine Malfunction Reduced Power

Hey guys, first post, naturally it's for an issue haha.

So I've been reading up on the "Engine Malfunction Reduced Power" threads others have made, and mine is a little different/weird.

Car is completely stock, 135i N55 DCT M Sport 56k miles. Spark plugs changed 500 miles ago (few weeks) to stock plugs/gap. Did oil at the same time (oil level is perfect still). Had a few spirited drives here and there but mostly quick trips to the store. I don't drive a lot since I take the train into the city. Nothing has stood out to me. Spark plugs were BOSCH ZR5TPP33S

Fast forward to today. My wife went to the store, then called me because as she backed out of her parking spot the car shuddered and died, giving the Engine Malfunction warning. Restarted and warning was gone and car drove fine. Later she mentioned shes had a few moments where shes had a delay in power recently. She continues on her errands and come home with no further incidents.

Now I'm jumping into it and trying to recreate the issue. Start it up, no issue, idles fine. After 5min of idle it suddenly shudders and shuts off giving the warning. Threw my scanner on and pulled only one code P10D9 for the fuel rail sensor. No CEL on the dash though. Cleared and restarted to see if it would pop up again. Let it idle for 15min with no more issues. Took it out for a drive and car felt more responsive, WOT with zero issue. Parked and went into the store, came out and started the car......shudder and die. Restart shudder but stayed on this time and then idled normal. Revs fine, no codes thrown. Drove home went WOT once and it was perfect with zero issue.

My first thoughts were HPFP, but everything I've seen on those tends to be with the N54, and are not intermittent and only at idle like mine. They also tend to throw multiple codes not just one. Which makes me think I should start with this as the cheapest starting point since the only CEL was aimed at this. Fuel Pressure Sensor

I don't think it's the plugs since the car drives perfect, WOT no issue, no misfire codes etc. I'll keep you posted on what I find, and any thoughts/advice are much appreciated. First BMW and first electrical gremlin lol.

Last edited by Liquidsk8s; 04-09-2019 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Is that a bmw scanner or generic OBDII
      04-09-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
Liquidsk8s
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Is that a bmw scanner or generic OBDII
Generic OBDII. I ordered an OBDII scanner that I plan to use with MHD tomorrow to run logs and try to pinpoint the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

The only thing I can contribute is that my car started intermittently going into limp mode last month, and it turned out to the the water pump and thermostat. If I stopped the car and restarted, the error would go away and things would continue as normal until the next limp mode event. Granted, I was getting the red car-on-a-lift error message when the car would go limp, so I don't know if this is applicable to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 07:09 PM   #5
Liquidsk8s
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
The only thing I can contribute is that my car started intermittently going into limp mode last month, and it turned out to the the water pump and thermostat. If I stopped the car and restarted, the error would go away and things would continue as normal until the next limp mode event. Granted, I was getting the red car-on-a-lift error message when the car would go limp, so I don't know if this is applicable to you.
It might be applicable actually. I didn’t get a red car on the lift, but it did happen on the warmest day we’ve had in awhile, 75°. Next day was 45° and no issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 09:22 PM   #6
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Once when my car was running rough and stalled I checked the car with a generic scanner and got codes P0171 and P10D9. Also got a yellow half engine light. Cleared the codes and the car ran fine. A couple weeks later it started running rough/stalled again and this time I checked for codes with Carly and got code 002BDA (rail pressure sensor, electrical: short circuit to ground). My indy shop suggested and replaced the High Pressure Fuel Sensor (P/N 13537620946) and the problem never came back. This was more than a year ago.
      04-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #7
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

With the 135i, when in doubt, check the: charge pipe, OFHG, water pump and HPFP.

Those are pretty much the 4 horseman of the 135i apocalypse. I replaced 3 of the 4 this past year! Just waiting for that HPFP to go so I can seal the deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #8
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

I agree with Esteban and I think I recommended his exact same procedure in the other thread OP made before they moved it to here.

Clear codes, if it comes back, recheck codes with BMW scanner. Most likely Fuel Pressure Sensor. If that doesn't fix it, might be HPFP. Usually HPFP throws a "Fuel Pressure too Low" or something like that code though.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #9
Liquidsk8s
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys. Here's an update.

Went a week without issue, did a 3hr drive there and back no issues. Then the other night on my way home it had the issue pop up again. Each time it happens at idle, this time in b2b traffic. Pulled the code, P10D9 again and only that code.

Just ordered a new fuel sensor which arrives tomorrow. I'll keep you updated.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #10
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsk8s View Post

Went a week without issue, did a 3hr drive there and back no issues. Then the other night on my way home it had the issue pop up again. Each time it happens at idle, this time in b2b traffic. Pulled the code, P10D9 again and only that code.

Based on this, I think I would def rule out the HPFP. From what I recall on my HPFP failure, it never had issues at idle or low load, it was always a pass on the highway or other high load situation where the car would stutter, throw a code and go into like a semi-limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 02:06 PM   #11
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:

My shop said based on my symptoms and the code displayed, it could be the HPFP or the High Pressure Fuel Sensor, and since the sensor is cheaper, he suggested to go that route first, and it worked for me. Maybe it'll work for you too.

dtla1, curious, what code did your car display when you had to replace your HPFP?
      04-19-2019, 02:29 PM   #12
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Quote:

My shop said based on my symptoms and the code displayed, it could be the HPFP or the High Pressure Fuel Sensor, and since the sensor is cheaper, he suggested to go that route first, and it worked for me. Maybe it'll work for you too.

dtla1, curious, what code did your car display when you had to replace your HPFP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post

Here are the codes
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Esteban43181.00
Gangplank1539.50