BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-18-2019, 03:16 PM   #1
PKT RKT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Question How stiff is the BMW Performance suspension?

Curious how the springs compare, especially.

Are they like H&R Sport’s / Eibach Pro Kit’s ?

Noticeably stiffer than the M Sport suspension?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 06:05 PM   #2
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Here's what BMW says about the Performance suspension:

Quote:
At the heart of performance is handling. And how well a BMW handles is directly influenced by its suspension. The BMW Performance Suspension lets you savor every curve and every corner like never before! This sport suspension set-up is reflected visually by the BMW Performance Yellow springs. This new aggressive package lowers the vehicle by 25 mm compared to the standard suspension and by 10mm when compared to the sport suspension. Spring rates are increased 48% compared to standard suspension and 34% compared to the sports suspension.
Last I looked it was NLA, but you could still get the Performance springs. They may be NLA as well now (haven't checked recently). AFAIK, the Performance parts for the 1 series are being discontinued.

PS - I don't think the Performance suspension is all that they say above, but at least the numbers are there for reference.
      04-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

I have the "M" sport suspension and I actually like it pretty well. It's the perfect ride height for my neck of the woods, and the 18" square setup I'm running looks perfect with it.

The only plans I have for it at the moment are RSFB's. I think that would be about all I would need for how I drive the car.
      04-20-2019, 12:27 PM   #4
PKT RKT
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks!

Any complaints on the stiffness?

Definitely appreciate any info that can be shared.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #5
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

With BMWP springs and Koni Yellows set ~1/3 from full firm, it is stiff but not at all uncomfortable for me on decent roads. If I get on a stretch of road with bad expansion joints, the ride is not fun, but, that would probably be the case with any car/suspension. And what may be harsh for one person is cushy for another. Lot of people have the springs paired with Bilstein B8's which I've gathered is firmer vs Koni's on a soft setting.

Also, BMWP springs are available in multiple rates to get the right drop for your car. Likely you will see a lesser drop with BMWP springs vs. Eibachs or H&R. How much lesser will depend on your car's weight.
      04-20-2019, 05:36 PM   #6
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaulMass View Post
Thanks!

Any complaints on the stiffness?

Definitely appreciate any info that can be shared.
As shown in my post above, the Performance springs are stiffer than the M Sport springs, which I think are a little too soft. The Performance springs are just about perfect for me. Not too stiff, but stiffer, and comfortable as well.

Some of the other springs are too low imo. The Performance springs have just the right amount of drop (which is very little) for my conservative taste. Don't really want my car to look lowered. Of course looks are subjective.

If you were to go with the BMW Performance springs, your particular springs would be selected by your VIN. It is based on your car, 128i or 135i, and your car's options. You can choose different Performance springs other than the ones that go with your car if you want, but the springs selected by entering your VIN are meant for your specific car.
      04-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #7
PKT RKT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
As shown in my post above, the Performance springs are stiffer than the M Sport springs, which I think are a little too soft. The Performance springs are just about perfect for me. Not too stiff, but stiffer, and comfortable as well.

Some of the other springs are too low imo. The Performance springs have just the right amount of drop (which is very little) for my conservative taste. Don't really want my car to look lowered. Of course looks are subjective.

If you were to go with the BMW Performance springs, your particular springs would be selected by your VIN. It is based on your car, 128i or 135i, and your car's options. You can choose different Performance springs other than the ones that go with your car if you want, but the springs selected by entering your VIN are meant for your specific car.

I want the Performance springs because I also do not want my car to look lowered. I actually like the appearance of the car on the M Sport suspension - I would like it to be a little stiffer. So a very small amount of lowering, plus some added stiffness, is my goal.

Do you think the car is less inclined to understeer on the Performance suspension, maybe because of the front/rear stiffness ratio? Or is it set up pretty similar to the M Sport stuff?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 08:53 PM   #8
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

I think a new stiffer front swaybar will help with understeer. Do a search here for more info. The Performance suspension comes with one, but again, it is not available anymore, plus there are definitely better swaybars out there for the 1 series.
      04-20-2019, 09:28 PM   #9
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

After reading a little I found this --->> https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...38;postcount=7

So maybe what I said isn't completely right about the stiffer swaybar.

Everything else though, spot-on.
      04-20-2019, 10:16 PM   #10
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Lemans Blue

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I have the complete M performance suspension and it's not too stiff at all. It's firm but well damped. Coupled with the M3 front sway bar and stiffer rear subframe bushings it transformed the car. Way better than stock M sport. Less crashy and way more controlled. Drop is very subtle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-21-2019, 05:53 PM   #11
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

FWIW, the B12 pro-kit isn’t that low, albeit apparently a little lower than the Performance suspension. I don’t think most would notice it isn’t stock by looking it. I was next to a Cayman at a light the other day, and my car practically felt like an SUV in comparison, and I don’t scrape anything. Granted, I do have Dinan camber plates in front (and Dinan shock mounts in back.)
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Fakemike368.50
Dackelone10531.50
      04-21-2019, 09:35 PM   #12
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Here's my last iPhone pic. With BMW Performance springs/Bilstein B8 struts and shocks.
Attached Images

04-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #13
PKT RKT
Private First Class
Rep

Nice - thank you all. I think I like the ride height of the Performance suspension the best. I need some room for suspension travel here and the ability to get in and out of sloping driveways etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 10:19 AM   #14
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT RKT View Post
Nice - thank you all. I think I like the ride height of the Performance suspension the best. I need some room for suspension travel here and the ability to get in and out of sloping driveways etc.
Sure thing. I hear you. FWIW, I don’t have many issues with driveways, speed bumps, etc., although, even with the stock suspension, I occasionally scraped those rubber things under the front bumper, which I don’t believe count in terms of ground clearance. The B12 kit is around 5-10mm lower than the Performance suspension, which is a relatively minor difference (especially if you put camber plates on the front, which is a good idea, anyways, while you’re in there,) but that little difference in height could occasionally be an issue, I guess.

Last edited by duder13; 04-22-2019 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 11:17 AM   #15
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT RKT View Post
Yeah, my driveway has an incline and if I try to back up on it, I will scrape the front bumper, so I go front end first to avoid any damage. Learned the hard way. It's underneath and minor, so I have to get on the ground to see it. Out of sight, out of mind. lol

My wife has a 370Z which is a little lower than my car and unless she enters our driveway at an angle she will scrape her front end every time. Definitely no backing up the driveway for her.
      04-25-2019, 06:34 PM   #16
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
FWIW, you can keep stock ride height running 335i dinan springs, they've worked really well for me and the terrible roads here.

edit:
I'm actually not sure if they are still being sold anymore.

Last edited by lowbudgethero; 04-25-2019 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 09:25 PM   #17
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
FWIW, you can keep stock ride height running 335i dinan springs, they've worked really well for me and the terrible roads here.

edit:
I'm actually not sure if they are still being sold anymore.
They still list them on their website for the E90 335i:

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d1...&mid=335i/
      04-26-2019, 06:07 AM   #18
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, my driveway has an incline and if I try to back up on it, I will scrape the front bumper, so I go front end first to avoid any damage. Learned the hard way. It's underneath and minor, so I have to get on the ground to see it. Out of sight, out of mind. lol

My wife has a 370Z which is a little lower than my car and unless she enters our driveway at an angle she will scrape her front end every time. Definitely no backing up the driveway for her.
My driveway was the same way. When I started bringing home Corvettes, I had a concrete guy re-work the top side of the driveway from the first expansion joint back to make things nice and level.

Otherwise I would have had to get in by driving on the grass!
      04-26-2019, 07:56 AM   #19
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
My driveway was the same way. When I started bringing home Corvettes, I had a concrete guy re-work the top side of the driveway from the first expansion joint back to make things nice and level.

Otherwise I would have had to get in by driving on the grass!
I understand completely. Corvettes are on another level (literally) when it comes to low vehicles.
      04-28-2019, 03:52 PM   #20
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I understand completely. Corvettes are on another level (literally) when it comes to low vehicles.
Our driveway incline was exaggerated though the way it was setup. Even my wife's stock daily driver had to go in at an angle to prevent anything from scraping....and she was driving a crossover SUV at the time!
      04-28-2019, 04:32 PM   #21
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Our driveway incline was exaggerated though the way it was setup. Even my wife's stock daily driver had to go in at an angle to prevent anything from scraping....and she was driving a crossover SUV at the time!
Well, glad you got it taken care of, then. lol

My driveway is definitely not that bad, but can be bothersome. Also, my car is only about 10mm lower than the stock M Sport suspension, which really isn't very low at all. Honestly, I think it looks at about stock ride height, and that's okay.
      04-28-2019, 05:54 PM   #22
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Once switching to NonRFTs I found virtually every spring rate too soft. Then once your firm up the front the rear starts bouncing when hitting undulations. The BMWP springs are still tuned for RFTs and great if you want super soft springs. Hate to say it but if you want better rates but without the drop of H&R etc, you'll need coils and custom rates to preserve the 1:3 ratio and avoid bounciness.