BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-20-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Goodbye :(

Last night I was involved in a hit and run. Car is most likely totaled. I'm trying to stay positive and tell myself that it's just a car. And that's true. But I can't help getting pissed that I'm going to be car less for a while until I find something else. Especially after splurging on an LSD just a few months ago, not to mention the brand new pads and rotors, plugs and coils, and battery in my trunk that were supposed to be installed tonight and the other bolt on mods. The crash messed up my back and neck (I'll be okay, nothing too severe) and I'm reluctant to get treatment because it'll raise my insurance since the guy that hit me ran away. Overall it's a pretty shit way to start the weekend. Looks like I'm going to have to spend a lot of money on Ubers to get to work and school lol. I doubt I'll ever find another immaculate, low mileage car like mine for the price that I got it for so it looks like I'll be moving on to something else. I've owned a 128i, 335i, and 135i so I feel like it's time to get something different. I've considered a GT86 or 370z but the GT86 is just way too slow, especially coming from a FBO N54 and the 370z is a bit too impractical and insurance hates that car. Maybe I'll just get an old 90s Civic and stack up money for a couple years and get myself something really nice when I'm 25. Idk, I'll figure something out. But it looks like this is my goodbye. This forum has been amazing and taught me a lot, I'll miss you guys
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-20-2019, 11:32 AM   #2
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Sorry for your loss. I'm at the other end of the age spectrum and the 128 could be my last car. If I "lost" it, I'd be looking for another one in the rust free South
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Sorry this has happened to you
Life is 20% what happens to us and 80% what we do about it. Bounce back and be happy you are still here to enjoy cars for years to come.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00
      04-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #4
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Well that sure is a kick in the sack. Sorry to hear about your situation. I know it's cliche but it's really true, one door closes another one opens. You'll be up and driving another car you will love before you know it and this event will be a distant memory. Good luck.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8211.00
      04-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #5
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

That's terrible man, must be frustrating. Hard to get anything that can compete with the 135 for the type of money they go for sold. Are u parting out the lsd?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 02:45 AM   #6
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Man that sucks.

Looking at your list above, I'd be asking your insurance what you can buy the wreck for.

If you part out the brakes, injectors, LSD and FBO bits, I'd bet you'd come to more than the value of the car.

It's going to be difficult to find anything that comes close to the 135i for the money.

If my car got totaled tomorrow I'd step straight into an E90 M3, but if I didn't have kids it'd be a Lotus Elise.
Appreciate 2
      04-21-2019, 08:01 AM   #7
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Sorry to hear bro, I enjoyed reading your posts and your pictures.
Definitely save up some stacks and don't rush into getting your next car.
Coward ran away from facing his consequences and responsibilities.
      04-21-2019, 11:44 AM   #8
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

That's a real shame. That asshole was probably driving under the influence. These cars are ridiculously underpriced for what they are, so my suggestion to you is to save up and get another 1er and you'll be back in business like it never happened, and maybe you'll get yourself an even better one.

Once a 1ADDICT, always a 1ADDICT!
      04-21-2019, 01:35 PM   #9
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Bummer. Sorry to hear it, and glad you're ok. I'm also in Portland, so I was always wondering if I'd ever see your car around, since there aren't all that many 135i cars here.

I agree with Esteban, and I'd look for another 135i.

Just out of curiosity, what was the make and model of the car that hit you?
Appreciate 1
Esteban43595.00
      04-21-2019, 03:07 PM   #10
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
As a suggestion....

See how much you can buy it back for from the insurance company. They will pay you the value and then you buy it back for amount they expect to get at the auction which will be peanuts.

You can then have it fixed up at a local shop, inspected and put back on the road as either a salvage title, or rebuilt title if you can get a shop to inspect and sign the paperwork as "rebuilt".

My guess is you will get more for it from insurance than it will cost to fix up to drive just fine. You can then mod it anyway you want b/c it won't ever be worth much as a salvage tile but who cares? If it drives fine, runs good and you keep it as a hobby and fun car... enjoy it, drive it.
      04-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #11
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

If he isnt going for medical treatment my hunch is he isn't putting in a claim with his insurance.
Also,
Is that white on the quarter bondo?
      04-22-2019, 12:53 PM   #12
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
If he isnt going for medical treatment my hunch is he isn't putting in a claim with his insurance.
Also,
Is that white on the quarter bondo?
I did make the claim on my insurance, but I don't have time for treatment between school and work. Plus it's just some muscle soreness
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #13
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
Man that sucks.

Looking at your list above, I'd be asking your insurance what you can buy the wreck for.

If you part out the brakes, injectors, LSD and FBO bits, I'd bet you'd come to more than the value of the car.

It's going to be difficult to find anything that comes close to the 135i for the money.

If my car got totaled tomorrow I'd step straight into an E90 M3, but if I didn't have kids it'd be a Lotus Elise.
E92 M3 is just out of my price range. I think I might save up money for a while and then get an M3
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #14
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Bummer. Sorry to hear it, and glad you're ok. I'm also in Portland, so I was always wondering if I'd ever see your car around, since there aren't all that many 135i cars here.

I agree with Esteban, and I'd look for another 135i.

Just out of curiosity, what was the make and model of the car that hit you?
It happened fast and it was dark out so I didn't manage to get a good look at the car. When he hit me, he basically PIT maneuvered me so I spun out and was facing the opposite direction when I got the car back in control. By then he was gone. From what I remember, I believe it was an SUV or crossover, but I can't be too sure
Appreciate 1
duder13767.00
      04-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #15
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
That's a real shame. That asshole was probably driving under the influence. These cars are ridiculously underpriced for what they are, so my suggestion to you is to save up and get another 1er and you'll be back in business like it never happened, and maybe you'll get yourself an even better one.

Once a 1ADDICT, always a 1ADDICT!
Thanks man! Maybe the next one will finally be a low mileage manual car with red interior
Appreciate 1
Esteban43595.00
      04-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #16
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfindigital View Post
That's terrible man, must be frustrating. Hard to get anything that can compete with the 135 for the type of money they go for sold. Are u parting out the lsd?
If insurance doesn't give me the value of the LSD or at least close to it, I will have my friend take it out. Can I give them the car without a diff? Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #17
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Any camera's in the area? After he/she hit you, their car should be very damaged also, and maybe identifiable on any kind of DPS camera at an intersection.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43595.00
      04-23-2019, 10:40 AM   #18
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
Last night I was involved in a hit and run. Car is most likely totaled. I'm trying to stay positive and tell myself that it's just a car. And that's true. But I can't help getting pissed that I'm going to be car less for a while until I find something else. Especially after splurging on an LSD just a few months ago, not to mention the brand new pads and rotors, plugs and coils, and battery in my trunk that were supposed to be installed tonight and the other bolt on mods. The crash messed up my back and neck (I'll be okay, nothing too severe) and I'm reluctant to get treatment because it'll raise my insurance since the guy that hit me ran away. Overall it's a pretty shit way to start the weekend. Looks like I'm going to have to spend a lot of money on Ubers to get to work and school lol. I doubt I'll ever find another immaculate, low mileage car like mine for the price that I got it for so it looks like I'll be moving on to something else. I've owned a 128i, 335i, and 135i so I feel like it's time to get something different. I've considered a GT86 or 370z but the GT86 is just way too slow, especially coming from a FBO N54 and the 370z is a bit too impractical and insurance hates that car. Maybe I'll just get an old 90s Civic and stack up money for a couple years and get myself something really nice when I'm 25. Idk, I'll figure something out. But it looks like this is my goodbye. This forum has been amazing and taught me a lot, I'll miss you guys
Quote:
If insurance doesn't give me the value of the LSD or at least close to it, I will have my friend take it out. Can I give them the car without a diff? Lol
As someone who's been in THREE hit and runs, I know the pain, man. Really it's one of the worst situations to be put in. So sorry you're dealing with this.

I can offer some advice here though.
  • Your insurance will NOT pay you for any mods/work unless you added the value to your insurance policy. The car must be "complete" when taken by them, so you'll likely need to repalce the LSD with a stock diff. Same for the coils/etc if you think it's worth it to pull the stuff out.
  • If you were on a road that could at all have cameras, contact the businesses and see if they'd be willing to share footage. I can tell you this is almost certainly no, but it's worth the effort if you can get any info.
  • GT86 will leave you bored very soon, 370z is closer but no back seat. I wouldn't be so keen on ditching the idea of another 135.
  • You have a say when it comes to totaling your car, you can talk to the appraiser and your insurance and work out a deal with them if you really want to keep the car and it's fixable. You can tell them you'll take X amount for the repair after whatever they estimate. You can also work with a local shop to do work yourself and save some money. At the end of the day, the insurance company is just looking for the cheapest "out". If they say it's totaled at $7k in repairs, but they would be willing to pay out $6500, you could make that call and even put the money toward a 1M conversion. Using used/aftermarket parts helps a TON once you're handed a check. Just make sure there isn't any un-fixable damage obviously.

Somewhat related, if you end up needing a home for that diff, let me know!

Hoping for the best man
      04-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #19
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
As someone who's been in THREE hit and runs, I know the pain, man. Really it's one of the worst situations to be put in. So sorry you're dealing with this.

I can offer some advice here though.
  • Your insurance will NOT pay you for any mods/work unless you added the value to your insurance policy. The car must be "complete" when taken by them, so you'll likely need to repalce the LSD with a stock diff. Same for the coils/etc if you think it's worth it to pull the stuff out.
  • If you were on a road that could at all have cameras, contact the businesses and see if they'd be willing to share footage. I can tell you this is almost certainly no, but it's worth the effort if you can get any info.
  • GT86 will leave you bored very soon, 370z is closer but no back seat. I wouldn't be so keen on ditching the idea of another 135.
  • You have a say when it comes to totaling your car, you can talk to the appraiser and your insurance and work out a deal with them if you really want to keep the car and it's fixable. You can tell them you'll take X amount for the repair after whatever they estimate. You can also work with a local shop to do work yourself and save some money. At the end of the day, the insurance company is just looking for the cheapest "out". If they say it's totaled at $7k in repairs, but they would be willing to pay out $6500, you could make that call and even put the money toward a 1M conversion. Using used/aftermarket parts helps a TON once you're handed a check. Just make sure there isn't any un-fixable damage obviously.

Somewhat related, if you end up needing a home for that diff, let me know!

Hoping for the best man
Stock diff was returned as core charge unfortunately. Also unless I'm mistaken, it seems like the unibody itself got pretty badly damaged and I don't want to go through the burden of trying to have it fixed just for it to never quite drive right, ya know? Here's a better picture:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-23-2019, 11:30 AM   #20
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Sorry this happened and hate to see you go.

Look at marrying down to a 128i. They can be had cheap especially if you're willing to (gasp) settle for an AT. You know the cars and can have fun getting it to handle great. Sure it won't be very fast, but...
      04-23-2019, 11:41 AM   #21
Fakemike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i N54 MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
That sucks, I always hate to see another 1er off the road.

Glad you are okay.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 01:14 PM   #22
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Stock diff was returned as core charge unfortunately. Also unless I'm mistaken, it seems like the unibody itself got pretty badly damaged and I don't want to go through the burden of trying to have it fixed just for it to never quite drive right, ya know? Here's a better picture:
That all just looks like skin/liner damage to me. You'd be cutting that out to do 1M anyway haha. Might be worth taking some detailed pics to a shop for a quote.

Buy-back is also an option if you want to go that route.