BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-23-2019, 01:34 PM   #23
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

The unfortunate thing to me is, since I need a somewhat usable backseat, there really isn't a car I'd choose over the E82 from the last decade or two, so, as others have said, I'd try to just get another one.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #24
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda

sorry to hear.. I found a gem for my second .. it can be done.. buy the civic and wait for it to pop up...
      04-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #25
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

From what I've read, everything you are doing is bassackwards. if you filed a claim with your insurance, they probably have a rental clause. Don't say it is totaled until they tell you.

Take it to a decent shop and see what they say. Bottom line is you are screwed once you put the claim in. Might as well get all you can before they ream your rates. If you like the car fix it right. If htey dont total it and give you a check, decide if you want to fix it or sell it as is, or part it out, or or or.
      04-23-2019, 03:24 PM   #26
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
It wasn't his fault so his rates shouldn't go up.

I do agree it may not be totaled. A good shop can fix it so it drives like new, even if it has minor frame damage. Hope it doesn't have major damage and your insurance just fixes it.
      04-23-2019, 03:50 PM   #27
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Sorry this happened and hate to see you go.

Look at marrying down to a 128i. They can be had cheap especially if you're willing to (gasp) settle for an AT. You know the cars and can have fun getting it to handle great. Sure it won't be very fast, but...
I've had an auto 128i before. It was a lot of fun but I can't bring myself to go back down again haha
Appreciate 1
gjm1202183.00
      04-23-2019, 03:52 PM   #28
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
The unfortunate thing to me is, since I need a somewhat usable backseat, there really isn't a car I'd choose over the E82 from the last decade or two, so, as others have said, I'd try to just get another one.
There really isn't anything else as good as an E82/E92 for the price, that's for sure
Appreciate 2
duder13767.00
xQx902.50
      04-23-2019, 03:55 PM   #29
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
There really isn't anything else as good as an E82/E92 for the price, that's for sure
Hey, I'm not even saying for the price. I can't think of another car with a backseat that I'd trade for. All of the options out there are either too big, have electric steering, don't have a manual option, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 04:58 PM   #30
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post

I do agree it may not be totaled. A good shop can fix it so it drives like new, even if it has minor frame damage. Hope it doesn't have major damage and your insurance just fixes it.
It was his fault.

You write as if you were a witness. What you have is a one car collision, and no witnesses. If the car was parked, and it could be proven it was parked it wouldn't be his fault.

Insurance companies don't care about the OP's sob story about being hit and run. They have a damaged car and nobody to blame but the OP. Therefore, it is his fault.

I am not questioning the OP's story. I don't doubt it is the truth. This is the objective conclusion based on the facts. The facts are simple - one car + no witness + claim against own insurance = reaming. Sorry.
      04-24-2019, 05:12 PM   #31
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Bummer. Sorry to hear it, and glad you're ok. I'm also in Portland, so I was always wondering if I'd ever see your car around, since there aren't all that many 135i cars here.

I agree with Esteban, and I'd look for another 135i.

Just out of curiosity, what was the make and model of the car that hit you?
It happened fast and it was dark out so I didn't manage to get a good look at the car. When he hit me, he basically PIT maneuvered me so I spun out and was facing the opposite direction when I got the car back in control. By then he was gone. From what I remember, I believe it was an SUV or crossover, but I can't be too sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
Quote:

It was his fault.

You write as if you were a witness. What you have is a one car collision, and no witnesses. If the car was parked, and it could be proven it was parked it wouldn't be his fault.

Insurance companies don't care about the OP's sob story about being hit and run. They have a damaged car and nobody to blame but the OP. Therefore, it is his fault.

I am not questioning the OP's story. I don't doubt it is the truth. This is the objective conclusion based on the facts. The facts are simple - one car + no witness + claim against own insurance = reaming. Sorry.

How do you get there from what he wrote? I was basing my response on what he wrote above. I guess it all depends on what the police report says & his state's laws. I know if it were me I'd be sure my insurance company didn't assign me fault if I wasn't at fault.

And why so angry? Or your post seems angry.
      04-25-2019, 12:43 PM   #32
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How do you get there from what he wrote? I was basing my response on what he wrote above. I guess it all depends on what the police report says & his state's laws. I know if it were me I'd be sure my insurance company didn't assign me fault if I wasn't at fault.

No anger, tried to keep it short. It is harder to write something in less words. It isnt a question of state law. If there are no witnesses, and one puts a claim in for a one car collision with another car, or an immovable object, the insurance company will automatically blame their insured. They dont care what the insured says. Its business.

An analogy could be a one car collision where the guy who hits a guardrail because he skid on ice, or caught a pothole or or.

Insurance will blame their insured. Why? He was going too fast even if he was going 1 mph. He had the last clear chance to avoid the ice/accident.

In reality, every accident other than an "act of god" is avoidable.
      04-25-2019, 01:54 PM   #33
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
No anger, tried to keep it short. It is harder to write something in less words. It isnt a question of state law. If there are no witnesses, and one puts a claim in for a one car collision with another car, or an immovable object, the insurance company will automatically blame their insured. They dont care what the insured says. Its business.

An analogy could be a one car collision where the guy who hits a guardrail because he skid on ice, or caught a pothole or or.

Insurance will blame their insured. Why? He was going too fast even if he was going 1 mph. He had the last clear chance to avoid the ice/accident.

In reality, every accident other than an "act of god" is avoidable.
I got lucky in my hit and run in that I was able to limp quick enough (front tire quickly leaking air, and body damage) to call 911 and give the operator the license plate number as the other person tried to drive away, all the while I was endlessly honking my horn and flashing my lights.

They investigated, came back as registered far away. Cops went to the house, they said no one answered, and the car hadn't been insured for some time. Luckily I had uninsured motorist coverage so that refunded my deductible back to me, and I didn't have to pay out of pocket.

I've now been running a dash cam ever since for that extra just in case attitude.

Edit* I guess my reply doesn't really add much to this thread other than, dash cams are a good idea. I've heard insurance people say it's the best money you can spend since it'll go from a he said/she said scenario to actually having evidence.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43691.00
      04-25-2019, 02:19 PM   #34
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
I got lucky in my hit and run in that I was able to limp quick enough (front tire quickly leaking air, and body damage) to call 911 and give the operator the license plate number as the other person tried to drive away, all the while I was endlessly honking my horn and flashing my lights.

They investigated, came back as registered far away. Cops went to the house, they said no one answered, and the car hadn't been insured for some time. Luckily I had uninsured motorist coverage so that refunded my deductible back to me, and I didn't have to pay out of pocket.

I've now been running a dash cam ever since for that extra just in case attitude.

Edit* I guess my reply doesn't really add much to this thread other than, dash cams are a good idea. I've heard insurance people say it's the best money you can spend since it'll go from a he said/she said scenario to actually having evidence.
Dash cam puts any doubt to rest. Seeing is believing.

With that being said, no, I don't have a dash cam. lol

But should...

PS - unless, of course said hit and run is out of the dash cam's viewing area.
      04-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #35
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post

But should...

Yeah, even if you can't see the other driver in the dash cam footage, I wonder to what extent you would have to prove to someone that you could not have caused the accident/damage from your driving. For example, if the car is looking straight ahead and the dash cam records a nice 180* turn your car does, the video with the sound from it might be enough to prove that it wasn't your fault. I would hope that would be enough to prove you're not at fault, but we all know people make shit more difficult than it should be.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 04:17 PM   #36
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Quote:

But should...

Yeah, even if you can't see the other driver in the dash cam footage, I wonder to what extent you would have to prove to someone that you could not have caused the accident/damage from your driving. For example, if the car is looking straight ahead and the dash cam records a nice 180* turn your car does, the video with the sound from it might be enough to prove that it wasn't your fault. I would hope that would be enough to prove you're not at fault, but we all know people make shit more difficult than it should be.
Good point...
      04-29-2019, 01:33 PM   #37
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Bummer. Sorry to hear it, and glad you're ok. I'm also in Portland, so I was always wondering if I'd ever see your car around, since there aren't all that many 135i cars here.

It happened fast and it was dark out so I didn't manage to get a good look at the car. When he hit me, he basically PIT maneuvered me so I spun out and was facing the opposite direction when I got the car back in control. By then he was gone. From what I remember, I believe it was an SUV or crossover, but I can't be too sure
Quote:
Quote:

It was his fault.

Insurance decided I'm 100% NOT at fault. Police report also helped. Idk why the other guy has his panties in a bunch lol
Appreciate 2
Gangplank1540.50
Matticus913474.50
      04-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #38
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

It was his fault.

Insurance decided I'm 100% NOT at fault. Police report also helped. Idk why the other guy has his panties in a bunch lol
Glad to hear they decided you're not at fault. Anything more on totaling it, or not? Or did I miss that?
      04-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #39
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

It was his fault.

Good to hear & not surprised at all. Now what's the outcome?
      04-29-2019, 03:28 PM   #40
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

It was his fault.

Glad to hear they decided you're not at fault. Anything more on totaling it, or not? Or did I miss that?
Car got totaled, frame got bent. I took out my chargepipe and BOV before letting them take it back. Buy back would have been 4K and I didn't think it'd be worth it, especially due to the frame. They gave me a good amount for the car. I'm looking at a 550i and 328i now. The smart move would probably be the 328i lol
Appreciate 2
Matticus913474.50
Gangplank1540.50
      04-29-2019, 04:38 PM   #41
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Car got totaled, frame got bent. I took out my chargepipe and BOV before letting them take it back. Buy back would have been 4K and I didn't think it'd be worth it, especially due to the frame. They gave me a good amount for the car. I'm looking at a 550i and 328i now. The smart move would probably be the 328i lol
Good luck and let us know what you get.
      04-30-2019, 02:06 PM   #42
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Police report is what did it. Glad it worked out.
      04-30-2019, 02:17 PM   #43
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Sorry to hear man!

You know us, we're gonna want you to stay lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #44
Windy5000
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 135i N55

Ah me and all, except i have video footage and the insurance company have said they will press for 100% 3rd party liability. One way or another she'll drive again at around £8000.00 in repair costs. Anyways the past two weeks have been depressing, ive been driving a q3 quattro.

I'm kidding it's not all that bad! -.-
Appreciate 0