BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-01-2018, 12:35 PM   #1
bEchev25
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

135i help!

Hey everyone,

I took my 135i after hearing a sound from what seemed to be the belt. After checking up with the dealership, they gave me an estimate that was high! Any idea of what can be done to get a cheaper alternative?

I'm based in NYC if that matters
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #2
thibb001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Monaco Blue 6MT

Diy
There's tons of videos and instructions on this site and youtube. Changing the belt is very easy. The oil filter housing/cooler gaskets are harder but can be done yourself. The belt needs to be replaced ASAP or it will break get sucked up into the engine and you can get severe engine failure. The oil housing gaskets could wait but you should replace those as soon as you can.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
bEchev25
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibb001 View Post
Diy
There's tons of videos and instructions on this site and youtube. Changing the belt is very easy. The oil filter housing/cooler gaskets are harder but can be done yourself. The belt needs to be replaced ASAP or it will break get sucked up into the engine and you can get severe engine failure. The oil housing gaskets could wait but you should replace those as soon as you can.
Hey! I appreciate the response. I'm a new BMW owner, so I was wondering which belt it was? Timing Belt/Serpentine/etc etc.

This is fresh to me, so i apologize if that's a rookie question to ask!

Do you have any estimated costs if I were to do it myself vs at a dealership?

Also, if the oil is leaking, wouldn't it damage the new belt, or not immediately?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 09:47 PM   #4
Ewcmr2
Rep
Drives: ‘09 135,E36 M3, E46 M3, E46 iT

Serpentine belt. Newer engines, ‘90’s+, have timing chains.
Oil filter housing is on side of engine, oil will make a mess but not get on belt.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 10:25 PM   #5
thibb001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Monaco Blue 6MT

Yes serpentine belt. What happens is the oil from the oil filter housing leaks and gets on the belt and degrades it causing it to snap. You should change the belt before you even get back on the road. Those gaskets need to be replaced as soon as possible but you can still drive with those leaking.

Also lookup "loose power steering pump bolt" around here on the forums. That can also cause your belt to come off. Make sure those are tight. None of these things require you to go under the car, so you should be able to do fairly easily being in NYC.

Hopes this helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 05:27 AM   #6
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bEchev25 View Post
Hey everyone,

I took my 135i after hearing a sound from what seemed to be the belt. After checking up with the dealership, they gave me an estimate that was high! Any idea of what can be done to get a cheaper alternative?

What sound we're you hearing? Was it a chirping sound? If so it's most likely oil on the belt due to a leaking OFHG (Oil Filter Housing Gasket). You'll want to replace the OFHG, belt, belt tensioner & pulley at the same time. You can find an Indy shop to do it for less than the dealer. Or follow a DIY. Replacing just the belt is not recommended if you have a OFHG leak b/c oil will get on the new belt and you'll have to replace it again when you fix the leaky gasket.

Quote:
Yes serpentine belt. What happens is the oil from the oil filter housing leaks and gets on the belt and degrades it causing it to snap. You should change the belt before you even get back on the road. Those gaskets need to be replaced as soon as possible but you can still drive with those leaking.

Also lookup "loose power steering pump bolt" around here on the forums. That can also cause your belt to come off. Make sure those are tight. None of these things require you to go under the car, so you should be able to do fairly easily being in NYC.

Hopes this helps.
Is the loose bolt on N54 & N55? Or just a pre-LCI N54 thing?
      11-14-2018, 10:59 PM   #7
bEchev25
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bEchev25 View Post
Hey everyone,

What sound we're you hearing? Was it a chirping sound? If so it's most likely oil on the belt due to a leaking OFHG (Oil Filter Housing Gasket). You'll want to replace the OFHG, belt, belt tensioner & pulley at the same time. You can find an Indy shop to do it for less than the dealer. Or follow a DIY. Replacing just the belt is not recommended if you have a OFHG leak b/c oil will get on the new belt and you'll have to replace it again when you fix the leaky gasket.

Quote:

Hopes this helps.
Is the loose bolt on N54 & N55? Or just a pre-LCI N54 thing?
Yep, it was a chirping sound!

I ended up getting everything fixed and spent about $1.4k, saving over $600 from doing it at BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 11:10 PM   #8
QuebecDIY
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i 2008 Coupe

I would suggest when you do the oil filter housing gasket to do both (no 4 and 5 on the sketch)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_3971

If you'd like to know how to remove the belt, it is shown in this video of mine.

As for the video for the oil filter housing removal, I should release it any day soon...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrf...f2b4-fZVKDUi-w
Appreciate 0