BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
myfirstone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128i

Auto Lock While Stationary

The 128i and presumably 135i come set from the factory to auto lock the doors when you begin driving and also if the car doors have not been opened in a while while stationary. I confirmed this setting on the car's computer.

My doors definitely lock when I start driving. But while sitting in the car reading the manual recently I realized that the doors never auto locked -- and I was in there for a good 45 minutes. I also purposely left the car unlocked for several hours while visiting someone who has a remote driveway (no risk of car theft). The doors were still unlocked hours later.

I doubt I'll ever forget to lock the doors but does anyone have the skinny on this "feature." To see what I'm taking about see pages 22-23 of the non-iDrive PDF manual (available at bmwusa.com).

Last edited by myfirstone; 07-30-2009 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
You can turn this on or off. I forget which page of the manual describes it, but it's a useful feature if you want it (and useful to turn off if you don't like it).
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
myfirstone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
You can turn this on or off. I forget which page of the manual describes it, but it's a useful feature if you want it (and useful to turn off if you don't like it).
Yes I know. I have it turned on. My question is under what circumstances do the car doors lock if the car is stationary and after how much time. As I noted, my doors don't lock even after several hours despite having the setting turned on.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 11:53 PM   #4
dick w
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 135i coupe TiAg/Coral

My bet--still waiting my 1--is that the meaning of this setting is that they lock if the locking system has unlocked them and a door was not subsequently opened. This is hte logic in several Hondas I've owned.

Test case: get out. Use remote to lock. Use remote to unlock. Walk away for awhile. Come back. See if doors are locked.

The intent is not to lock you in. The intent is to re-lock the car if for whatever reason it is unintentionally unlocked.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 04:42 AM   #5
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick w View Post
My bet--still waiting my 1--is that the meaning of this setting is that they lock if the locking system has unlocked them and a door was not subsequently opened. This is hte logic in several Hondas I've owned.

Test case: get out. Use remote to lock. Use remote to unlock. Walk away for awhile. Come back. See if doors are locked.

The intent is not to lock you in. The intent is to re-lock the car if for whatever reason it is unintentionally unlocked.
+1
if car is unlocked using the remote key and door not opened within a set time then car will lock itself again.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 06:01 AM   #6
VanillaRush
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i

I understood that the doors won't autolock if you are in the car, because you have "cancelled" the auto-lock by opening a door and getting inside.
If this feature was not there, you could open the door get in, leave your key inside, get out, close the door and lock your keys in the car.
Yet- If you unlocked, and did not open any doors or boot, then the doors would re-lock automatically after a period of time.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRush View Post
I understood that the doors won't autolock if you are in the car, because you have "cancelled" the auto-lock by opening a door and getting inside.
If this feature was not there, you could open the door get in, leave your key inside, get out, close the door and lock your keys in the car.
Yet- If you unlocked, and did not open any doors or boot, then the doors would re-lock automatically after a period of time.

well said...

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0