BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #419
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I have just visit my bmw dealership was walking thru the workshop. I saw a 135i standing there. They were working on the engine. I asked what s wrong. Turbo problems. Mostly i see turbo s in the workshop when worked on engines.

And that is for me an other point. High rev atmo has less plumbing less add ons on the engine less things which can break down. Less heat. etc.

An engine which will be used a lot on trackdays/driftdays/racing etc i think the better choice is NA. Turbo s just need more maintance and cost you more to run in the long run.

With that in mind there is only one engine for me and thats NA.

I really seeing forward to the first guys who drive hard all day on a hot trackday with their M1 turbo s. See if the cars can handle the heat. My 135i did not. Oil temps went thru roof.

Also my Evo 6 on track broke down. Turbo to pieces. Our 130i cup cars drove 3 years in a row never one blown engine. With all that in mind i know that turbo s can t handle extremes without lots of maintance and new turbo s. This is of course used in extremes.

That s what i said all along if you use youre car daily you drive sporty there is nothing wrong with turbo s. Diesel turbo is the best solution ever.

I am not all negative about turbo. Depends on what you are in search for.
As daily drive a turbo is perfect. For extreme almost maintance free track use i would never go turbo route.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #420
Cornhusker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartikus View Post
+1. You can add reliability to that list too. If you can work on a Honda Accord of that gen, you can work on that ease. I love BMW's inline but if they must go the V6 route, it should be properly executed.

I'm indifferent in regards to the M1/1M being FI or NA. I've driven the M3 before and I didn't feel like I missed the N54. I have a feeling an NA M1 would produce the same effect. Perhaps we misunderstood Scott in regards of the engine. Is it possible that BMW could take away the turbo from the N55 and make an M engine?
HAHA, this is too funny, i think I'm the only one here who would NOT buy the m1 is it was NA. I'm at 5k feet and na engines lose 15% of their power.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #421
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
A 6 cylinder Direct Injection 3.0L engine with forced induction that is only making around 350 hp is just plain lazy for a sports car application in 2010. The TT-RS already makes this with one less cylinder, and there are a myriad of 4 cylinder turbos out there in the 300-350 range. And even these engines are leaving a lot of potential on the table. If 350hp is the most they can make while protecting their precious m3, they should either have a 4 cylinder turbo, or an NA 6 IMHO. Remember, not everyone who is into driving dynamics and handling in light weight cars immediately wants to jeopardize their warranty or pay Dinan crazy money to have a competitive amount of power.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #422
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post
A 6 cylinder Direct Injection 3.0L engine with forced induction that is only making around 350 hp is just plain lazy for a sports car application in 2010. The TT-RS already makes this with one less cylinder, and there are a myriad of 4 cylinder turbos out there in the 300-350 range. And even these engines are leaving a lot of potential on the table. If 350hp is the most they can make while protecting their precious m3, they should either have a 4 cylinder turbo, or an NA 6 IMHO. Remember, not everyone who is into driving dynamics and handling in light weight cars immediately wants to jeopardize their warranty or pay Dinan crazy money to have a competitive amount of power.
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #423
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
It all depends as to how you view things, without knowing at what revs the power is delivered at it's probably too soon to call it lazy or fail. Also mentioning other engines that make these figure yet are smaller isn't always a good comparison as each have their strengths and weaknesses, though not wanting to sound to Audi FB here but you must remember that the 2.5TFSI is one exceptional engine that is actually DE-TUNED for use in the TT-RS.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #424
brizzom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not gonna name names but I'm getting tired of people complaining about other people with different viewpoints. So what if some members don't agree that it will be an M? So what if some people think it will be NA instead of turbo? Honestly none of us know all the details and we are just going off what scott and other magazines/sites have told us.

The whole point of this subforum is for all of us to throw out ideas and opinions because NONE OF US know for sure what the new M will be like. Would you guys rather have ALL of us agree on everything all the time? Then there wouldn't be a point of reading anything here.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #425
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
wow. I actually read the past 15 days worth of posts. They all added some perspective.

Advevo - Great video. I enjoyed watching it, and also saw some similarities between my engine response and yours

I was very excited about M1/1M and even told my CA that I wanna order it the 1st day it is available. Scratch that. I am keeping my 128i, and will look for ways to boost it to where 130i is at now. I track my car, will keep tracking it and I enjoy its NA. Keeping my silk smooth NA.
      05-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #426
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

Why would they make the M1 a 4cyl turbo while simultaneously selling the 135's 6cyl turbo? Now im no marketing guru but that makes no sense...

It would be nice but its not feasible. Thats all im saying
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 11:56 PM   #427
Beemer323
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 330i, e39 530i ESS e61 M5.

Ok, so if we know everything about the n55, what it redlines at and how much power it makes on whatever octane fuel. No one has addressed the possibility of a power up kit?

BMW dont want it to step on the M3's toes and we all know at that area of the ballpark there's a bee's dick in it regarding 0-100 times and what ever.

What about the possibilities that either BMW say it wont be officially faster than the m3but simply will be? Or, like the BMW Performance Accessories, might there be a 'power up kit'? Buy the car then a year later they reveal the option to spend another couple of thousand dollars upgrading! Perfect Marketing sense to make more out of the consumer. I bet their performance gear has been making them a tidy profit! I know its money for nothing for BMW Australia.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 12:09 AM   #428
Guibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post
Why would they make the M1 a 4cyl turbo while simultaneously selling the 135's 6cyl turbo? Now im no marketing guru but that makes no sense...

It would be nice but its not feasible. Thats all im saying
Perhaps for a similar reason like when they sold the 325is concurrently with the E30 M3. If I recall the R&T comparo, they weren't all that different in objective speed. But how they got to that speed was quite different.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 02:47 AM   #429
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizzom View Post
I'm not gonna name names but I'm getting tired of people complaining about other people with different viewpoints. So what if some members don't agree that it will be an M? So what if some people think it will be NA instead of turbo? Honestly none of us know all the details and we are just going off what scott and other magazines/sites have told us.

The whole point of this subforum is for all of us to throw out ideas and opinions because NONE OF US know for sure what the new M will be like. Would you guys rather have ALL of us agree on everything all the time? Then there wouldn't be a point of reading anything here.
In the case of M or no M - that was obvious; and I was just sick of people who click on the news page, saw the video, and make a comment like it's not a M because it has no Quads without reading through the posts.

Otherwise, like NA vs FI - we really don't know for sure as there are no solid evidence apart from what 'sources' told us.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 02:50 AM   #430
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Well, if available torque goes up to 6000 and with minimal drop offs - it would be a gem even at 340hp.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #431
Cornhusker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/26/s...00-horsepower/

This is probably one of the best dyno's i've seen for a stock turbo car. If you look at the stock ttrs dyno .. not the chipped one... you can see that hp is not dropping off at redline and the the torque is pretty flat and doesn't drop off as bad as a n54/55. Now if you tuned the stock engine to have more na like manners.... you would keep the stock boost till about 5500 rpm and then have the hp continue to rise to about 380 (the tuned line at redline) which would also in turn keep the torque from dropping off as much.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #432
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornhusker View Post
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/26/s...00-horsepower/

This is probably one of the best dyno's i've seen for a stock turbo car. If you look at the stock ttrs dyno .. not the chipped one... you can see that hp is not dropping off at redline and the the torque is pretty flat and doesn't drop off as bad as a n54/55. Now if you tuned the stock engine to have more na like manners.... you would keep the stock boost till about 5500 rpm and then have the hp continue to rise to about 380 (the tuned line at redline) which would also in turn keep the torque from dropping off as much.
Graph can be deceptive if you didn't look at the actual numbers on the graph. The drop from the Audi starts from around 5000, which is the same as N54, and it redline at 6600 at around 350, where the N54 is about the same may be a bit less as it passes 6600 until it reach redline at 7000. I haven't found any iS Dyno but would be interesting to see how it compares.

For the S55 to have 380 with good engine, it needs to still have 400Nm at 6000. If it can maintain 375Nm till 7000 that it would be absolutely fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #433
purreplayya69
Rep
Drives: e46

so this 1m/m1/135is/whatever its gonna be called actually going to 100% happen? im looking at the 1 series now and would prefer to wait if this actually happens
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #434
Beemer323
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 330i, e39 530i ESS e61 M5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purreplayya69 View Post
so this 1m/m1/135is/whatever its gonna be called actually going to 100% happen? im looking at the 1 series now and would prefer to wait if this actually happens
You should PM this guy, he will tell you:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/member.php?u=18129
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 08:03 AM   #435
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by purreplayya69 View Post
Unless BMW ///M is toying with us all with the 1-series body while they are really testing an unknown car.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #436
purreplayya69
Rep
Drives: e46

i have an sti right now and i really want to get back into the bmw game... if they make an m1/1m whatever it will be called it will easily be in the budget for me and will be very tempting... that twin turbo engine feels golden
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #437
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
I wonder what engine is in this beast that I played with in the Mountains above Greenville a few weeks ago. Whatever it was it outpaced the M5 to redline in 3rd gear. It was a freaking bullet. The driver was not slouch either. It was all I could do to stay on him through the twisties. M5 is on H&R with Koni SA and sticky rubber.

T
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #438
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

It is the new BMW X3 F25 with surely an I6 Diesel. If you have more pics post them on X3 Forum. Ask the modds to put "Bimmerpost" on them.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #439
madfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 PB Evo X MR-T

NA vs Turbo is like DCT vs Manual or RWD vs AWD, etc.

it'll never end. and its all based on opinion... even when given hard facts about what's faster around a track or whatever measure you want to use, there will be the argument of "feel"... and how important that "feel" is purely individual... yet its oftentimes spouted as gospel....

in the end, different strokes for different folks...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 07:02 AM   #440
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
I'm starting to think this car won't have as much hp as we think. Look what leftlane news posted:

"Expected to be powered by a turbocharged inline-six cylinder engine, the 1-Series M will certainly best the already quick 135i. Specifics are among Munich’s closest-guarded secrets, but insiders told us to expect around 330 horsepower – a 30 pony jump from the 135i. But more important will be dialed in handling and a reduced curb weight, both of which should make the 1-Series M a true hot rod. "