BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-14-2023, 09:11 AM   #1
jgbuddy
Registered
Rep
Drives: N55 DCT 135i

N55 DCT overheating brainstorming

I am having an overheat issue with my 2011 i35i, and I'm wondering if ayone might be able to give some advice.

I was on a long drive to NYC when it happened the first time, with the yellow warning light on idrive- I pulled off the highway and found a place that would do the work for me while I was visiting some friends. Ended up getting the fluid changed, filters changed, and a new pan, because the old one was leaking. drove 4hrs home and no issues.

Then, about three weeks later, the warning came back. By this point I had bought the MHD monitoring liscense and was able to monitor the trans temp- every time I had checked, the MHD trans temp was right around 200F, which didn't seem bad. I let the car sit then drove it again to see if the error came back- after about 40 mins of driving it re-appeared. Again, trans temps through MHD were only around 200-210F. I even got the red "has overheated" message as I was letting the car sit and not even driving after i got the original warning.

As for codes, I only have 5A53 and 5A54 "Transmission overheating: red phase" and "Transmission overheating: black phase"

After getting under the car, it looks like the transmission fluid is full. what are some other common failures?

Temperature seems pretty reasonable unless MHD is not reading at the clutches or something?

Wondering if anyone has diagnosis tips and if there is a way to view readings from the other sensors through INPA/ISTA.

Last edited by jgbuddy; 08-16-2023 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0