08-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #45
Atropos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxer View Post
Waited so long for the perfect car and they went and ruined it. Just what i want to do,sit in stop and go traffic with a stick car.
If the majority of your driving is stop / go traffic, why are you looking at an M series to begin with? (or a boosted car at all, really)

It's like buying a Ducati 1098 to ride to Sturgis.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 10:45 PM   #46
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I think you nailed it, and right now all I can think of, is Advevo had more insight, then anybody including myself ever gave him credit for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
The discontinuance of the DCT also portends the possibility of the 1M, not having the N55 twin turbo, which was to be a special version of the N55 twin scroll engine.

The rumors of it having an N54 twin turbo (like in the 335is) are now beginning to make sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 11:38 PM   #47
investor27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Scott didn't say no DCT option. He said no M-DCT option due to time-constraint. There may still be a DCT option. Just not an M-DCT option.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 12:13 AM   #48
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mprofiler View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but isn't DCT already an off teh shelf part? Would it take that much expense to upgrade the current DCT trans in the 135i for the 1M?

edit: only real reason i could see by not offering DCT is that they haven't really had much time to test the DCT trans in the 1M compared to the manual.
The DCT was engineered in the 335is and M3. It's plug and play. DCT is left out for only 1 reason, and that it is to limit the encroachment on the current M3. Why would you buy an M3 if the M1 had the same shit ( except for the hi-rev motor) for a lot less money. I can see a M1 DCT killing an M3 6MT on track.

DCT would make it look more pricey, but I think this is a secondary issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #49
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
We are looking at a life span of just over 2 years for the 1M , the only reason for the go-ahead was to produce something that can be made quickly by using off the shelf parts.

I'm really shocked and underwhelmed at that comment above.
This way of thinking doesn't bode well for a true M version of the 1 series.
It sounds more like, "Let's get what we can out of how popular the 1 series has been, cause we didn't really expect this much interest."

Short run, easy and quick to make off the shelf cobbled together "M" car.
No thanks.

I'm much more interested in what BMW will do in the next 1 series.
At least they've had time to work on it and tweak and test and go back and redo it again. The current 1 has it's flaws and BMW may actually take the time and effort to come with a really refined, new 1 series.

Not having a DCT option is yet another indicator of the lack of sincerity for building a true 1M.
I'm a manual guy, but at this point in high tech automotive design, a DCT is a must.
That's why I have no interest in the 1M....it's a botched car.....couple body mods and that's it......I could do the same to a 135I...off the shelf parts.....interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 12:21 AM   #50
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

We can only speculate.

It could be many things, like it is a tuned N54, and they have less data-logging on that combo, so they will not be ready before the car comes to market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
...DCT is left out for only 1 reason, and that it is to limit the encroachment on the current M3...

Last edited by ORIGIN M.; 08-29-2010 at 12:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 01:20 AM   #51
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Shame about auto. I would have liked the choice but was 99% set on manual despite M25 traffic here in London.

Thing I have to ask is why are you sitting in a car for 4-5 hours on a regular basis.

Is public transport that bad over there?

I think I too would be biased to auto if that were the case here
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 01:27 AM   #52
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

Great cars like Zonda, F1 come only with MT

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 01:34 AM   #53
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post

I am not sure you can conclude the DCT will come, it sounds like it all depends on outcome.

The discontinuance of the DCT also portends the possibility of the 1M, not having the N55 twin turbo, which was to be a special version of the N55 twin scroll engine.

The rumors of it having an N54 twin turbo (like in the 335is) are now beginning to make sense.

As discussed here.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415588

I for one, am starting to believe that BMW will attempt to save more money, and continue to use off the shelf parts for the 1M (like M3 suspension parts), and drop the N54 motor into it. Lets hope I am wrong
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=13

Quote:
originally posted by zephyr
Well I've just checked what's on the autobild's homepage and here's a small article about the coming 1 ///M ! You can check the link here, but it's in german:
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/bmw-1...=36&now=78#mmg

In the article is given a little bit different info as in the magazine. Here is a small overview:

Engine: ~350 HP, will be some kind of derivative of the N54, as the one in 135i
Chasis: lighter than than current 135i, through the use of light-weight materials
Transmission: 6 MT, so far the article says that the DCT is not foreseen for 1///M
Suspension: very sport-adjusted
Differential comes at all cost.

Well probably nothing new, but it's strange how these guys contradict themselves!

Anyway I thing this will be a small beast, and will be a big step towards the values, which all BMW enthusiasts appreciate. Let's just wait for some specs conformation from BMW, because this speculations are killing me!
It now seems this Autobild article may have some merit.
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/bmw-1...=36&now=78#mmg
      08-29-2010, 01:34 AM   #54
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I think people will buy what they want and can afford, a customer wants a choice!
      08-29-2010, 01:37 AM   #55
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Precisely! And the 7 speed DCT outperforms any manual.
only in drag race...where it will shift faster for you and it will not loose the boost when it shift up.

In a lap race manual gives you more control on corners if you knew what to do.."According to M. Schumacher when he was reviewing the F-40"

Also cars with MT at Nuremberg are usually faster than PDK or DCT.

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 02:17 AM   #56
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
No dct option means one thing: this car is really what it should be in terms of ability and they need to ringfence M3 sales. Great! Cheaper too!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 02:23 AM   #57
Mprofiler
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
The DCT was engineered in the 335is and M3. It's plug and play. DCT is left out for only 1 reason, and that it is to limit the encroachment on the current M3. Why would you buy an M3 if the M1 had the same shit ( except for the hi-rev motor) for a lot less money. I can see a M1 DCT killing an M3 6MT on track.

DCT would make it look more pricey, but I think this is a secondary issue.
Wouldn't the manual 1m step on the toes of the manual M3? It's not like the manual M3 is super fast. i guess we will see what the numbers are for the 1m... I'm expecting it to be close to what BMW quotes for the M3 to be honest.

Last edited by Mprofiler; 08-29-2010 at 02:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 02:55 AM   #58
TEUFELHUNDE
USMC Lance corporal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i aw w/coral red int.

Like someone else mentioned on this topic...man up! Really its a 1m, you dont get the dct to help you in a traffic! If this is an issue by a beater to commute back and forth to work. As far as im concerned, in the sports car world a true sports car is (manual) not tap into gear and it goes my girlfriend can do that p,r,d,ds,m please...learn how to drive the car the real way the "m" way.

The first true orginal sports cars came in manual. All the first m's for BMW were manual so whats the problem?....learn how to drive then buy one. Until then bmw can really careless about the lazy american "benz" style drivers not having there automatic, this is what sets bmw apart from anyone else they make there cars the real european way. Bmw is just making it harder for the clowns to get into the m's...as far as im concerned.

Your talking about bmw's (auto guys) maybe you should check out acura tl's its right up your alley. I heard they have some specials also.
N55 6spd, M-sport nav,ipod,BMW kidney grills,amber gones,GP H8 8500k,GP H3 4500k,6k headlight bulbs, de-badged, 20 % tints, icarbon spoiler. AFE air scoops,Berk full sport exhaust, CDV mod, BMS stage 1, Berk down pipe, injen intake,carbon splitters, carbon mirror caps. custom black and flat clear interior trim pieces. interior mods. eibach lowering springs, nitto 555 tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 03:46 AM   #59
bz888
Rep
Drives: Audi/BMW

Hey Guys. Been watching from the Sidelines for a while!! Great site.

Unfortunately, the NO DCT news is extremely disappointing!
If this is true I WILL CANCEL MY ORDER and refund deposit!

I've owned many cars over the years from S2000, WRXs to Audi R8's and 2 M3s. I spend at least one weekend a month club racing.

The 1M was going to be my club racer. BMW has been promoting it as such, time and time again. However, they NOW decide that Club Racers don't need DCT and the M in motorsport is for Manual only.

Well, let's be honest, when they released the first SMG M3 many years ago the marketing pitch was "SMG = Best for Track" Blah Blah Blah

Now with the 1M they decide a "Club Racer" doesn't warrant an Sequential gearbox.

Just goes to show BMW really don't care about their market. They will change their argument and marketing to suit. It's all about the $$$.

The poll above shows that about 20-30% of the users of this site will cancel their order if there is NO DCT. I suspect this proportion will be even higher out there in the "NON ENTHUSIAST" market.

So, if BMW are happy to lose 30-50% off the initial orders, then good for them!

NO DCT mean's I'm out. The 1M could have been AWESOME. But, now it seems it's just a rush job and they are taking some shortcuts.

Sad.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 04:05 AM   #60
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

Funny how most of the people on this forum try to compensate for their lacking in other areas of life with this "real men drive manuals" mentality.

I live in NYC, why would i want a manual as my DD
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 04:59 AM   #61
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post
Funny how most of the people on this forum try to compensate for their lacking in other areas of life with this "real men drive manuals" mentality.

Why would you want ANY //M car as a DD in NYC?

I wouldn't want to drive a Corolla everyday in that mess...that's why they have a subway.
      08-29-2010, 05:44 AM   #62
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post

I can understand those wanting DCT to shave a few tenths of a seconds and that it's a better technology. But for those wanting it because of traffic? C'mon! Why are you in an M? If you're afraid to be seen in a cheap DD, you're compensating for your lack in other areas.
      08-29-2010, 05:47 AM   #63
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
Shame about auto. I would have liked the choice but was 99% set on manual despite M25 traffic here in London.

Thing I have to ask is why are you sitting in a car for 4-5 hours on a regular basis.

Is public transport that bad over there?

I think I too would be biased to auto if that were the case here
Still have to drive to the public transport which is only barely outside the beltway (Ring Road) if you're talking DC.

Either way, I'll be taking my FJ down to the OBX next weekend from Baltimore by way of the Delaware Outlets (wife needs some tax free shopping) and I'm not worried about stop and go traffic. The 1's clutch is a cakewalk compared to my FJs.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 05:58 AM   #64
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

These comment, about why people choose what they choose, like any of you have a clue as to why. -- And, why you even care?

This is about there being a choice, not about anything else.

I would not be caught dead or alive in, is a cheap car.

I value my life, more than I care what others think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny View Post
If you're afraid to be seen in a cheap DD, you're compensating for your lack in other areas.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 06:09 AM   #65
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny View Post
I can understand those wanting DCT to shave a few tenths of a seconds and that it's a better technology. But for those wanting it because of traffic? C'mon! Why are you in an M? If you're afraid to be seen in a cheap DD, you're compensating for your lack in other areas.

OK for you if you have somewhere to put a snotter DD.....

Not all of us live in a part of the world where we have the luxury of having loads of space for more than one car, or can afford more than one car.

My best friend emigrated from the UK to California nearly ten years ago, and he can insure and run three cars and a motorbike for less than it costs me to insure and run ONE car here in London where space for one car is at a premium.

I was hoping a 1M with ///DCT and competition package was going to be my holy grail car that would fullfill my weekend track use fun, and yet still work as a daily car.

BMW would rather build a pointless cabrio version though it seems
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 06:46 AM   #66
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
You still haven't explained how a car is useless for daily driving unless it has a dual clutch transmission..?