BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #23
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Oil appearance is a rough indicator at best. I change a couple dozen cars a year in addition to my own due to oil change events at our church. I am pretty sure I can tell when the oil hasn't been changed in a long time. It gets nasty dark and is often low on oil. But many of these cars are also high in mileage and probably have a bit of blow by the rings. That also will age the oil.

I change my oil every 5K miles. It is almost certainly unnecessary but is easy to remember and clearly often enough. The last oil change was my second using Mobil 1 European 0-40W. I was surprised, it looked almost new. I'd need to see really old Mobil 1 for a comparison, however. It was probably lighter than I am used to in the first place.

Without a dipstick the only way I see to know the oil has or has not been changed is to take some out and look at it. Removing oil is a lot harder than putting it in. You have to pull the plug and then put it back in. Messy and imprecise. Another disadvantage of no dipstick. Another advantage of changing your own. I am confident I can tell 15k oil from new.
      07-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #24
E82135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdi14 View Post
Can you expand more on what causes the cam / crank correlation and chain rattle? Do you think I am at risk for that happening to my car now? If so, what do you suggest I ask the dealership to do to rectify the situation?
Relax.. I understand that they pretty much lied to you but still there is no need to go crazy. If I were you, I would get print saying that they have failed to do an oil change for ~long and file a complaint through BMWNA. It will be hard to prove your engine problems, down the road, is because of missed oil change but at least you have document saying they have missed it.
Your complaint about loaner is ridiculous although I do hate new 328,x1, and 320 but I dont complain about getting them as a loaner.
Relax and just wait, I doubt that there will be any engine problem because of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Not to hijack this thread... But why does BMW have such a crappy dealer network? Compare BMW dealers to Lexus: Both have similar clientele (let's face it - BMW has a Douche Factor, outside of the enthusiasts. Don't hate on me - it's true, and everyone knows it.). But BMW has about 20% of the satisfaction rate of Lexus - what's the reason? Some of the BMW dealers are owned by AutoNation - wtf?

I think that is just your area becuase my dealership (New century BMW) never gave me any problems and did the work that I didn't even ask. i.e. they have swapped my steering wheel, a/c vents, door lock thinging(one that pops in and out), shift knob, and my floor mats due to manufacture defect. Yes, there was some defect (fade and scratches) but it wasn't something I saw or noticed until they mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 12:02 AM   #25
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

E82135i I am sure you wouldn't be "relaxed" in his situation.

This is a BMW not a Chevy Cavalier. You should receive better care, if your dealer isn't giving your car proper maintenance alert BMW NA. Consider a different dealer if possible. If not just do it yourself or have someone you trust service the car. Their lack of competence could cost you down the road, if regular maintenance isn't performed correctly. Wouldn't risk it again.

I too have heard of people driving to another state to have their car serviced by a dealership because of the terrible reputation surrounding the local dealership. I have even informed BMW NA before and they just ask you to continue to work with the dealer.. Maybe they need to set new standards and dealer regulations?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 02:45 AM   #26
E82135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkkyyMan View Post
E82135i I am sure you wouldn't be "relaxed" in his situation.

This is a BMW not a Chevy Cavalier. You should receive better care, if your dealer isn't giving your car proper maintenance alert BMW NA. Consider a different dealer if possible. If not just do it yourself or have someone you trust service the car. Their lack of competence could cost you down the road, if regular maintenance isn't performed correctly. Wouldn't risk it again.

I too have heard of people driving to another state to have their car serviced by a dealership because of the terrible reputation surrounding the local dealership. I have even informed BMW NA before and they just ask you to continue to work with the dealer.. Maybe they need to set new standards and dealer regulations?
No, I would not worry about it. Doing 15k oil change (what BMW suggest) is ridiculous anyways and clearly OP did as what they have told us to do. I honestly think there won't be much of difference in damage when your at that point (15k oil change and 20k oil change).
Again, I really think dealers depend on area. I always have gotten great service from BMW. Only thing I can complain is BMW road assitance.

Last edited by E82135i; 07-03-2014 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 06:14 AM   #27
Ghent
Topless Speed
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M Sport Convertible

My ol' merc diesel didn't get the oil and filter changed once. I knew because when I changed it I always put the date of the change on the filter. I thought that something was wrong and looked at the filter. Same date on it. I went back and raised hell with them. I was traveling to see a friend and had gone to a local place. I watched them properly change the oil, got a full refund and then made sure to spread the word about the place. 'course I should have known better than to go to a precision tune....
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 12:21 AM   #28
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdi14 View Post
to all the people attacking me, calm down.

The dealer rep told me they did not change the oil and showed me in the computer. All my other services were done but the oil change.

What are the last 7 digits of your VIN? I'll do a service history lookup to see if your maintenance is in line.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #29
amyracecar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 '97 328is, E82 '11 128is

I think you should be happy they were honest with you... it would have been easy to lie and cover it up but instead they were straight - it is sad but the fact the told you the truth speaks volumes.
Sounds like they forgot and at least the copped to it....

You should ask for extened warranty though for the engine... that would be st8ght..

Like i say, at least they didn't lie/cover it up and should get some credit for being honest..
Appreciate 0