BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Low coolant level???

Good afternoon fellow addicts!

I recently had a low coolant level light pop up on my dash/i-drive. It went away after a few minutes and I had no other lights or warnings in the car. The check control indicated "All Systems OK". I monitored my water temp just in case, and it was somewhat normal ~103C.

After the car cooled down I looked in the expansion tank, and sure enough it was quite low. I looked at my friends 335i and on his the "floater" was way above the tank, while on mine it was sunk down in indicating minimum level. I took it to BMW and they topped it off for free with no problem. I asked if this was a common occurrence and they said it was no big deal...

My questions is, I've never seen coolant evaporate or leave a closed system to this degree in less than 10000 miles on any car! Has anyone else experienced this? I haven't seen any coolant under my car, but I'm concerned there may be a small leak somewhere. Am I crazy?

Tim
      01-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
POEHAM
Rep
Drives: 135i vert

yea its happened to me before as well......picked up a bottle of coolant from them and topped it off
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
Jai2008
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Just got mine topped by the dealer this morning. Light came up around 21000KM. They said it was normal but who knows, its the same guy that told me my car doesn't need the first oil change till March 10..... Bought my car in May 08....
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
angrybaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: black 135i 2009

seems pretty normal....keep an eye on it
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai2008 View Post
Just got mine topped by the dealer this morning. Light came up around 21000KM. They said it was normal but who knows, its the same guy that told me my car doesn't need the first oil change till March 10..... Bought my car in May 08....
Happened to me too. Bought a bottle and filled it up... it took like 2/3 of the bottle so I got a bit worried that I had a leak. Took it to the dealer after and they couldn't find any leaks in the system. *shrug* That's been 6-7 months ago and I haven't had any lights, etc.

Also Jai you are allowed a 1 service every calendar year even if your MFD says you still have several thousand miles until service.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

I had this also. In the first 10k miles I had to add a little coolant, then another small amount at about 25k. I'm at 41k now and haven't had to add any more, and nothing has gone wrong, so I'm not too worried about it.

It's a little puzzling because it's typically a closed loop system and I'm not sure exactly where it's going, but it seems that a lot of BMWs do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
tonytigerking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I also had the light went up after roughly 10k miles. I had it fill all the way up, and it doesn't seem to be leaking anywhere. It was really weird. I wonder if more people are experiencing the same thing with their car.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #8
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
...It's a little puzzling because it's typically a closed loop system and I'm not sure exactly where it's going, but it seems that a lot of BMWs do it.
All cars do it. My guess is it leaches into the cast alloy parts of the motor that it comes in contact with and eventually evaporates out.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
NYSLC93
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M & 2017 4Runner

What type of coolant does the 1er use? And Second, can I top of with distilled water in a pinch? Or can use use off the shelf coolant? I heard any "corrosive free" coolant will work.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleskovar View Post
All cars do it.

No they don't. I never had to add a drop of coolant to my GTO in 70k miles, or any of my other newer vehicles unless there was a leak.

As a matter of fact, my 318ti never required any addition of coolant either (other than regular flushes), and I put 140k miles on it. There's something specific to newer BMWs that causes this.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
NYSLC93
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M & 2017 4Runner

My car has 10k and says it's low on coolant.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
As a matter of fact, my 318ti never required any addition of coolant either (other than regular flushes), and I put 140k miles on it. There's something specific to newer BMWs that causes this.
Since I've never had to add coolant to any BMW including my 128i and everyone reporting low coolant on this thread drives a 135i, maybe the issue is with the TT motors. Do they have different cooling system specs?

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
My E36 needed a coolant top off every three months. There was no evidence of a leak. Our E91 needed a top off at about 10,000 miles. This is not unusual for BMWs.
      03-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #14
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Since I've never had to add coolant to any BMW including my 128i and everyone reporting low coolant on this thread drives a 135i, maybe the issue is with the TT motors. Do they have different cooling system specs?

Tom
It could be something to do with the after-run system that's used to cool the turbos after shutdown, but I'm not sure why that wouldn't be a completely closed loop.

Whatever it is doesnt seem to be a problem, but I'd still like to know exactly what the cause is.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 11:19 PM   #15
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No they don't..... There's something specific to newer BMWs that causes this.
Yes they do. More cast alloy in the coolant path is my guess as well. I've seen this happen with many cars...no leaks, reduction in coolant level. My C320 (alloy block V6) loses about 12 oz./yr. Haven't seen any loss in the 128 yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 11:40 PM   #16
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes they do. More cast alloy in the coolant path is my guess as well. I've seen this happen with many cars...no leaks, reduction in coolant level. My C320 (alloy block V6) loses about 12 oz./yr. Haven't seen any loss in the 128 yet.

This is my 37th car. It's the only new one that's needed coolan added in the first 10k miles. Spare me the education.

Coolant doesn't seep through aluminium blocks.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #17
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is my 37th car. It's the only new one that's needed coolan added in the first 10k miles. Spare me the education.

Coolant doesn't seep through aluminium blocks.
I didn't realize you were someone that knew everything. I've had at least as many cars as well, and worked on many more. Coolant loss in the first 10K miles is unusual but not unheard of. You have a better explanation? I admit my explanation is a guess.

http://htna.bodycote.com/resources/c...sification.pdf

Last edited by mleskovar; 03-06-2010 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: added link
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 12:37 AM   #18
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didn't realize you were someone that knew everything.
That would seem to be you.

Quote:
All cars do it.
As I said earlier, NO, they DON'T.

The explaination in this case is likely that BMW is doing something unusual with the coolant venting because of the after-run pump used to cool the turbos.

Obviously it's not seeping into the castings, because I'm not the only one here who's owned a few cars and never seen one consume coolant.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #19
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
..The explaination in this case is likely that BMW is doing something unusual with the coolant venting because of the after-run pump used to cool the turbos...Obviously it's not seeping into the castings, because I'm not the only one here who's owned a few cars and never seen one consume coolant.
Oh boy, an internet pissing contest with a know-it-all. Did you even bother reading the link I posted? Rhetorical question. Here's another found in two seconds with a search.

http://www.jasperengines.com/pdf/GM19CoolantLeakTB.pdf

And your "explaination" [sic, spell check too difficult for you?] is better than my guess (admittedly) because your degree in mechanical engineering is better than mine? Do some research next time and post something worthwhile other than your shade tree mechanic understanding of problems. I love it when someone on the internet says "I know this is true because I've never seen it happen before" like the world revolves around their limited experience. 2.4L and 3.2L V6 MB have the same loss of coolant symptom and there's many of them out in the world. All cast block including bores. The loss is more gradual than every 10K miles but it's still there with no explanation.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #20
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh boy, an internet pissing contest with a know-it-all. Did you even bother reading the link I posted? Rhetorical question. Here's another found in two seconds with a search.

http://www.jasperengines.com/pdf/GM19CoolantLeakTB.pdf

And your "explaination" [sic, spell check too difficult for you?] is better than my guess (admittedly) because your degree in mechanical engineering is better than mine? Do some research next time and post something worthwhile other than your shade tree mechanic understanding of problems. I love it when someone on the internet says "I know this is true because I've never seen it happen before" like the world revolves around their limited experience. 2.4L and 3.2L V6 MB have the same loss of coolant symptom and there's many of them out in the world. All cast block including bores. The loss is more gradual than every 10K miles but it's still there with no explanation.

You seem to have some pretty serious issues.

You made the statement that "All cars do it".

I don't need a degree in mechanical engineering to know that I've owned about half a dozen that DIDN'T do it, and all the links in the world aren't going to change that.

There are also several other people who have posted in this thread who've said the same thing, and the reason it was started in the first place is because it's unusual for a new car to go low on coolant in the first 10k miles as many people have reported here.

I wouldn't think that concept would be too difficult for you to grasp, what with your advanced degree and superior knowledge of metalurgy.

Also, going after a typo in someone's post is about the lamest response you can have on an internet forum, and it's just demonstrats that your overall argument is too weak to stand on its own. I never said it was impossible for it to happen, I simply said it doesn't ALWAYS happen on all cars, as you so boldly stated earlier.

Now, one more time...alll cars DO NOT consume coolant in the first 10k miles as you stated earlier. If they do, I guess the elves have been filling my previous ones up while I slept.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #21
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

I have had to all a small amount after one year with a 2006 E55 211,the 2009 135 Vert, the 2010 GT-R, and a 09 Subie Outback. Previous cars that have had a small amount added include a 06 X5 4.4, 2002 M500, 07 Dodge Super Bee SRT, and a host of others over the past 43 years I have been licensed. One car I did not have to add was a 69 Roadrunner 440 6-pack that I recall.

Sometimes they arrive at the dealer low, and the dealership does not add any during their check. If it is leaking out, you will know it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #22
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You seem to have some pretty serious issues.
No, just like to call BS on posters where appropriate. You seem to be the one with their shorts in a twist over a simple guess that it could be alloy casting related. You're the one that's ranting.

Quote:
..You made the statement that "All cars do it.....Now, one more time...alll cars DO NOT consume coolant in the first 10k miles as you stated earlier.".
Now you're misquoting me. I said all cars lose coolant. No wonder you didn't read the links, reading comprehension isn't your strength.

Quote:
...I don't need a degree in mechanical engineering to know that I've owned about half a dozen that DIDN'T do it, and all the links in the world aren't going to change that...
I see, don't confuse you with facts or any information that might change your mind since it's already made up. That little statement just about sums up where you're coming from. No need to respond, nothing happening here, just move on.
Appreciate 0