E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Do you find it hard to see the left rear blind spot?

03-14-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Do you find it hard to see the left rear blind spot?

(1) The left-sided B-pillar
(2) The sport seat headrest
(3) The rear side sunshade (elevated)
(4) My 20% rear window tint
(5) My damn stiff neck
(6) The lack of a convex side view mirror
(7) Driving at night time

These are factors which make it difficult for me to check the left-rear blind spot as I am preparing to change lanes. I thought about adding one of those circular stick-on convex mirrors, but don't want to cheapen the looks of my car with a 99 cent Pep Boys add on. They look fine on an Explorer, but a little hideous on an e90. Your 2 cents?

Last edited by ksfrogman; 03-14-2006 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
you can always get the split mirror from europe. i am not sure if they have them for the e90 yet.

another reason i didnt get my car tinted.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 10:27 AM   #3
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran
you can always get the split mirror from europe. i am not sure if they have them for the e90 yet.

another reason i didnt get my car tinted.
Long, I haven't seen these. Do you have a photo of this?
      03-14-2006, 10:33 AM   #4
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
(1) The left-sided B-pillar
(2) The sport seat headrest
(3) The rear side sunshade (elevated)
(4) My 20% rear window tint
(5) My damn stiff neck
(6) The lack of a convex rear view mirror
(7) Driving at night time

These are factors which make it difficult for me to check the left-rear blind spot as I am preparing to change lanes. I thought about adding one of those circular stick-on convex mirrors, but don't want to cheapen the looks of my car with a 99 cent Pep Boys add on. They look fine on an Explorer, but a little hideous on an e90. Your 2 cents?
The easiest thing to do is adjust your side view mirrors. Seriously, most high performance driving schools cover this in the first classrom session. The inside mirror is the rear view mirror and the ones outside the car are side view mirrors. They should be adjusted to allow the driver to see at a glance the neighboring lanes of traffic from a point beginning at the "B" pillar and going aft to about 5 to 7 car lengths behind your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Long, I haven't seen these. Do you have a photo of this?

this was what i had on my audi tt. i did a search and the e46 guys seem to have them too. i guess its a european thing. they said they ordered them from a bmw dealer here. not sure if they are available for the e90 yet. its a split mirror, so you can see the blind spot without looking back. maybe the guys from europe can answer this question. are these available in europe for the e90?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 10:36 AM   #6
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Ben's right on,

if you adjust your side mirrors properly you can change lanes with confidence

I agree about the stupid B pillar though, that's why I like 2 door cars better as the B pillar's farther back and not in the way.

I have no idea how your headrest gets in the way though
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 10:39 AM   #7
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
maybe eliminating stiffness in your neck would get rid off all those problems. i have absolutely no problems seeing and looking over my shoulder to check the blind spot. the pillar is kind of annoying and in the way, but it really never blocked my view...
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 10:41 AM   #8
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Ben, thanks for the clarification on the nomenclature. I like to see just a portion of my rear quarter panel as a point of reference, but this gives me the blind spot. I could adjust the side view mirrors outward everytime I wanted to change lanes, but this would be impractical unless there was some button to push that would adjust them automatically for a few seconds before returning to the baseline position.

Long, those mirrors would be nice.
      03-14-2006, 10:48 AM   #9
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:
Ben, thanks for the clarification on the nomenclature. I like to see just a portion of my rear quarter panel as a point of reference, but this gives me the blind spot. I could adjust the side view mirrors outward everytime I wanted to change lanes, but this would be impractical unless there was some button to push that would adjust them automatically for a few seconds before returning to the baseline position.

Long, those mirrors would be nice.

You would adjust your mirror once and leave them so, this is how I have mine on all my cars past and present; 99% of the time you do not need to see the entire side of your car when driving, you want your mirror pushed out so that you see the lane next to you. In practice, when adjusting your mirror, it should be in a position where, when you sit straight in your seat, you see the outside lane and when you lean a bit, (10%) you then can see the side of the car. This way, when para parking you can lean and see the side and otherwise your mirrors allow you to see what's up behind you.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 10:49 AM   #10
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko
maybe eliminating stiffness in your neck would get rid off all those problems. i have absolutely no problems seeing and looking over my shoulder to check the blind spot. the pillar is kind of annoying and in the way, but it really never blocked my view...
It's probably a combination of those factors mentioned above. I'm 5'9", have a clutch, and don't like to feel like I'm driving from my trunk. I keep my seat up a little closer than most of you (probably), and in this position, the tiny gap between my headrest and B-pillar gives me a limited line of sight rearward and to the left. The dark tint and side shades don't make it easier. Of course I could always roll the side shades and rear window down, etc.; once again, not practical.

The best thing to do is to get a nice massage from the Spa and get those stiff muscles to relax.
      03-14-2006, 10:50 AM   #11
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista
You would adjust your mirror once and leave them so, this is how I have mine on all my cars past and present; 99% of the time you do not need to see the entire side of your car when driving, you want your mirror pushed out so that you see the lane next to you. In practice, when adjusting your mirror, it should be in a position where, when you sit straight in your seat, you see the outside lane and when you lean a bit, (10%) you then can see the side of the car. This way, when para parking you can lean and see the side and otherwise your mirrors allow you to see what's up behind you.
Thanks. I'll try this.
      03-14-2006, 10:52 AM   #12
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
I have been using Multivex Racing Mirrors for years on all of my cars. In fact, I find it difficult to drive without them. I currently have them on an e46, an e31, an e30 (retired), an e34 (retired) and a Mercedes R107 (SL). All were specially cut by Bob McCord at Multivex for me. When I bought the e46, the first mod was to have the mirrors cut.
Why aren't they on the e90, you ask? Wife's car, and she doesn't want 'em -- plus they would defeat the auto-dimming feature (if that's important to you). If it were my car, they'd be on there, as even with proper adjustment, the blind spot is still pretty bad. For the e90, they would have to be specially cut, i.e. you would trace the shapes of the mirrors and send them to Bob.
If interested, here's the site: www.multivexmirror.com
I swear by them.
Mike
      03-14-2006, 10:56 AM   #13
england1987
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1364
The easiest thing to do is adjust your side view mirrors. Seriously, most high performance driving schools cover this in the first classrom session. The inside mirror is the rear view mirror and the ones outside the car are side view mirrors. They should be adjusted to allow the driver to see at a glance the neighboring lanes of traffic from a point beginning at the "B" pillar and going aft to about 5 to 7 car lengths behind your vehicle.
At the BMW performance center they teach you that when seated in the drivers seat the mirror should be adjust so that you barely see the side of the car. This works for me so much that I can easily see a car in my blind spot.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 10:58 AM   #14
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I adjust my side view mirror so that I can just see the side of my car with my head near the window. This puts the view out further when my head is in the normal center seat position. I still turn and look though! On several of my cars I have attached small blind spot mirrors - but not the crappy round ones - I get the small curved rectangular mirrors which don't look quite as bad.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 11:23 AM   #15
fletcher969
Dad: "Can't never did nothing"
Rep
Drives: '96 Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
I adjust my side view mirror so that I can just see the side of my car with my head near the window. This puts the view out further when my head is in the normal center seat position. I still turn and look though! On several of my cars I have attached small blind spot mirrors - but not the crappy round ones - I get the small curved rectangular mirrors which don't look quite as bad.
This is the way most "professional" tipsters will suggest. Similar suggestion for the right/passenger side also except one would only see that side of the car when leaning foward/sideways from a normal seated position. IMO, it's far more important to see one's blind spot (when at speed) than the side of the car, the latter of which tends to be important only when parking and such (not at speed). One should always adjust their mirrors accordingly for safety.
02-06-2006: Production End
02-09-2006: Arrived at POExit
02-13-2006: Transit - Don Juan
03-01-2006: Unloaded in Charleston
03-02-2006: VPC
03-06-2006: Arrived at dealership
03-08-2006: Took delivery
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 01:57 PM   #16
ben1364
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko
I don't recommend looking over your shoulder in traffic. Not a good idea! If your mirrors are properly adjusted you can see what you need to see at a glance.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 01:58 PM   #17
ben1364
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista
Very well said.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 02:10 PM   #18
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
I don't recommend looking over your shoulder in traffic. Not a good idea! If your mirrors are properly adjusted you can see what you need to see at a glance.
I disagree. All too often a car can be just along side you and regardless how you adjust the mirror there is a blind spot. It's simply a matter of moving the blind spot from location to another. I prefer my blind spot to be closer to me becase a simple turn of the head will do. Have you ever had traffic merging in from your left? There are no mirrors for that!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 02:33 PM   #19
mmeads
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

I agree. I never turn my head to change lanes. But I also have one of those cheap round mirrors on my car, and I plan on putting it on my 325 no matter how bad it might look. Being able to quickly and safely change lanes is more important than someone disliking what I've done to my driver side mirror.

When you turn your head to look:
a) You miss the traffic in front of you (most important).
b) People speed up if they see you trying to change lanes.
      03-14-2006, 03:08 PM   #20
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

yea, i have some problems with the blindspot.

convex/split mirrors would be great. since these are standard in europe, shouldn't have any problems getting these as long as we have the part number.
      03-14-2006, 03:24 PM   #21
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
zendriver posted this awhile ago and it addresses where to put your side mirrors. hope it helps man.

I present to you the cure for blind spots:

Most people adjust the side mirrors of their car so, while they are sitting straight up in the driver's seat, they can just barely see the edges of the vehicle in the inside of each mirror. This is incorrect and leaves a tremendous pair of blind spots. The following is how most touring car drivers setup their mirrors-

1- Get into the proper driving position (close enough to the steering wheel so you can hook your wrists over the wheel, seat just close enough so you can fully depress all pedals without fully extending your leg).

2- Lean to your left so that your left cheek is pressing up against the door window. Then adjust your driver side mirror so you can just barely see the edge of the vehicle.

3- Lean to your right so your head is right in the centerline of the vehicle, adjust the passenger side mirror so you can barely see the edge of your vehicle.

4- Center mirror lines up straight back.

You now do not have a blind spot. It is a bit odd at first since most drivers are use to seeing the bodywork of their own vehicle in the rear view mirrors, but this is both unnecessary and leaves those pesky blind spots. Drive around a little bit near a parked car on either side to simulate where other vehicles will be so you can get use to the setup. You will rapidly realize that this setup rocks.
      03-14-2006, 07:33 PM   #22
billgti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck724
zendriver posted this awhile ago and it addresses where to put your side mirrors. hope it helps man.

I present to you the cure for blind spots:

Most people adjust the side mirrors of their car so, while they are sitting straight up in the driver's seat, they can just barely see the edges of the vehicle in the inside of each mirror. This is incorrect and leaves a tremendous pair of blind spots. The following is how most touring car drivers setup their mirrors-

1- Get into the proper driving position (close enough to the steering wheel so you can hook your wrists over the wheel, seat just close enough so you can fully depress all pedals without fully extending your leg).

2- Lean to your left so that your left cheek is pressing up against the door window. Then adjust your driver side mirror so you can just barely see the edge of the vehicle.

3- Lean to your right so your head is right in the centerline of the vehicle, adjust the passenger side mirror so you can barely see the edge of your vehicle.

4- Center mirror lines up straight back.

You now do not have a blind spot. It is a bit odd at first since most drivers are use to seeing the bodywork of their own vehicle in the rear view mirrors, but this is both unnecessary and leaves those pesky blind spots. Drive around a little bit near a parked car on either side to simulate where other vehicles will be so you can get use to the setup. You will rapidly realize that this setup rocks.
good information. that will definitely eliminate all blind spots. however, the reason why most people don't do this is because the mirrors will reflect so far outwards that you won't be able to see cars coming from a distance in the adjacent lanes. you should be able to see all this with your rear view mirror but i think most people would rather see further back in the adjacent lanes using the sideview mirrors and deal with blindspots by turning their head (most people do it anyway to check if anyone is merging into the lane next to you)
Appreciate 0