BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-23-2015, 07:14 AM   #45
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdre View Post
Steve,

I completely understand your desire to keep the PPK sound. I would love to get me some of that as well. I'm currently running MHD Stage 1 on my N54 with a stock exhaust and get very minimal "sound effects". I'm hesitant to spend money on PE, given the mixed results people are reporting.
I'm not sure of the "mixed results" you are referring to. The vast majority love it, myself included.
That said, there are a few who think it is too loud. Those people should keep stock or golf-tee mod then, as the PE is really on the tasteful end of the volume spectrum for aftermarket exhausts. The only time it is what I would consider "loud" is on cold start for about 20 seconds. But I even like that.

There are also a few who complain of "drone". I understand some people are more sensitive to exhaust noise than others, but I don not experience any drone whatsoever. There is a resonant effect during light acceleration between 1800-2200 RPM, but I wouldn't call it drone, and it does not stay at steady highway speeds. However, I have a 6MT, and I think the complaints come mostly from DCT or AT drivers, where the car may have a slightly different cruise RPM than the MT.

I agree with Steve, that the PE is perhaps the best investment you can make on this car. It is intoxicating, causing me to drive with the driver's window down and heat blasting in cold weather just to listen to it. It is especially great when driving next to a Jersey barrier when the sound bounces back at you.
One note: if you get it and you drive an N54, definitely get the N55 midpipe (secondary cat delete) and Y-pipe (resonator delete) for best sound (assuming stock DP).
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2015, 11:53 AM   #46
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
I'm not sure of the "mixed results" you are referring to. The vast majority love it, myself included.
There are members who reported the PE being simply louder than golf T mod with the desirable overrun pops and crackles attributed to PPK, not the PE.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #47
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
There are members who reported the PE being simply louder than golf T mod with the desirable overrun pops and crackles attributed to PPK, not the PE.
Well it IS louder than the golf tee mod. It is supposed to be. But IMHO the tone is better - mainly deeper, and I get overrun burbles and pops with the PE and no PPK (though somewhat less of it than those WITH the PPK).
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #48
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k
Quote:
Well it IS louder than the golf tee mod. It is supposed to be. But IMHO the tone is better - mainly deeper, and I get overrun burbles and pops with the PE and no PPK (though somewhat less of it than those WITH the PPK).
HUGE difference if you install the PPK. I was lucky, I installed the PE, then a month later had the dealer install the PPK.

With just the PE I would get one burble when going down the ramps in my condo parking garage. After the PPK was installed, it would sometimes last down the entire ramp. Burble burble fart blat burble burble burble.

LOVE it!!!
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #49
mtowle182
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Feel like a few of those only had the rear section and not the x-pipe
Appreciate 3
      12-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #50
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
HUGE difference if you install the PPK. I was lucky, I installed the PE, then a month later had the dealer install the PPK.

With just the PE I would get one burble when going down the ramps in my condo parking garage. After the PPK was installed, it would sometimes last down the entire ramp. Burble burble fart blat burble burble burble.

LOVE it!!!
I did the same thing. Had the PE installed (big difference) then later had PPK installed (also big difference). Glad I did it in stages because that way I could tell where the different sounds came from.
      12-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #51
brauheist2007
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I know its been said probably once or twice but I just want to reiterate a couple of things since I also have first hand experience with PPK and Dinan.

- Dinan Stage 2 software WILL overwrite BMW PPK.
- However Dinan Stage 2 WILL still have those wonderful overrun burbles and pops with stock, BMW PE and Dinan Exhausts.
- The Dinan tune does much more than simply increase HP/TQ.

I cannot say enough great things about the quality of the product coming from Dinan, even if it's just a tune. I've done a Dinan signature package and have zero regrets.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2015, 06:30 PM   #52
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brauheist2007 View Post
I know its been said probably once or twice but I just want to reiterate a couple of things since I also have first hand experience with PPK and Dinan.

- However Dinan Stage 2 WILL still have those wonderful overrun burbles and pops with stock, BMW PE and Dinan Exhausts.

I cannot say enough great things about the quality of the product coming from Dinan, even if it's just a tune. I've done a Dinan signature package and have zero regrets.
I'm interested. Here's a video of a 135is with PE and PPK. Not my car or video, but my car sounds just like this. Does your car sound like this? Even better, can you post a video like this so that we can hear your car? Would be much appreciated.

12-29-2015, 07:19 PM   #53
brauheist2007
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
Does your car sound like this? Even better, can you post a video like this so that we can hear your car? Would be much appreciated.
I would say my car sounds the same through 75% of the RPM and throttle variation in that video. The overrun burbles sound exactly the same and are just as loud to. Before I did the Dinan signature package I was PPK and stock N55 exhaust. The overrun burbles with stock exhaust and PPK sound the same as this video and the same as the Dinan tune and Dinan exhaust that I am running now. The overrun burbles no matter tune or exhaust combo sound the same to me.

Now I have Dinan Stage II and Dinan Exhaust. So essentially I am saying any difference in sound between this video and my car is almost completely from the exhaust setup. The Dinan exhaust isn't quite as loud or 'grunty' as the PE below say 2500rpm. At WOT it's a screamin' banshee just like the BMW PE. Mine sounds a little less raw, a little more refined and quiet below 3000rpm. I was worried that the Dinan exhaust was going to be too quiet. But I honestly think it's just right.

I'll work on getting a video for you. I'm trying to sell my GoPro so I'll have to get together with my brother to get a driving video. If nothing else I can get a decent phone video in the driveway until then.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #54
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brauheist2007 View Post

Agreed. I will chime in here but with my experience with Dinan Stage 3 software.

1) Dinan Stage 3 software WILL overwrite BMW PPK.
2) However, Dinan Stage 3 WILL still have those wonderful overrun burbles and pops with stock, BMW Performance Exhaust
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler

Last edited by Chunner; 12-30-2015 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 10:04 PM   #55
wjk_glynn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 C2S Coupé

FWIW:
  • I used to have PPK1 and PE, which resulted in the usual pops/gurgles/etc. sounds
  • I recently installed Cobb (thus over writing PPK1)
  • And all those sounds are now 'gone-baby-gone'

EDIT: Amended my feedback in comment #59

Karl.

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 12-30-2015 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 11:04 PM   #56
gap
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjk_glynn View Post
FWIW:
  • I used to have PPK1 and PE, which resulted in the usual pops/gurgles/etc. sounds

Karl.
I have Cobb and still have the overrun burble, though it does not go on as long as the PPK. When decelerating you can lightly press the gas pedal to keep the
burbles going which I think is what the PPK tune does.
ER CP, Forge DV, Wagner FMIC, PE, Maddad Mid, ER Sports OC, BMS OCC, RB Check Valve, AFE intake, Cobb AP3- Stage 1+ drive, BMW SS, PS Springs, Yellow Koni external, M3 Control Arms F & R, M3 Strut Brace, M3 Sub Bushing, Rouge Toe, Dinan Camber Plate and Rear Shock Mts., E93 M3 front sway bar, Mfactory Diff, Arc 8 PSS 235/40/18-265/35/18
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 11:15 PM   #57
wjk_glynn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I have Cobb and still have the overrun burble, though it does not go on as long as the PPK. When decelerating you can lightly press the gas pedal to keep the
burbles going which I think is what the PPK tune does.
I must give that a go...
      12-30-2015, 09:18 AM   #58
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjk_glynn View Post
FWIW:

Karl.
I don't disbelieve you, but I have the Cobb installed (on a 135i with the PE and a 6spd stick) and I have tons of pops and gurgles. Odd.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 06:28 PM   #59
wjk_glynn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I have Cobb and still have the overrun burble, though it does not go on as long as the PPK. When decelerating you can lightly press the gas pedal to keep the burbles going which I think is what the PPK tune does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I don't disbelieve you, but I have the Cobb installed (on a 135i with the PE and a 6spd stick) and I have tons of pops and gurgles. Odd.
Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback and guidance.

I went back out in the car this afternoon and I'm going to amend my previous statement and say... there are still some gurgles with the Cobb, though really only noticeable with the windows down.

Whereas previously (with the windows up) there was a veritable cacophony of sounds with PPK/PE.

Karl.
      12-30-2015, 09:32 PM   #60
oneBIGtoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have been reading so many threads & posts and now getting informational overload

Just a silly question. If the PE removes the resonator, then couldn't you just remove this on the stock n55 and get a similar exhaust sound?

I only ask because I am about to purchase the PE and want to make sure its the right purchase. I also don't want to mess with any parts related to emission requirements that will cause it to fail. I am assuming the PE will not do this because they would not sell here, at least not via a BMW dealer I will be doing the install myself and then getting the Dinan stage 2 following.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 09:03 AM   #61
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneBIGtoe View Post
I have been reading so many threads & posts and now getting informational overload

Just a silly question. If the PE removes the resonator, then couldn't you just remove this on the stock n55 and get a similar exhaust sound?

I only ask because I am about to purchase the PE and want to make sure its the right purchase. I also don't want to mess with any parts related to emission requirements that will cause it to fail. I am assuming the PE will not do this because they would not sell here, at least not via a BMW dealer I will be doing the install myself and then getting the Dinan stage 2 following.
You could just do a resonator delete and keep stock exhaust, and it will increase volume from stock, but it will not sound the same as the PE, which is noticeably deeper and more rumbly than the stock muffler. I think it sounds wonderfully rowdy - a bit of rough edge on an otherwise refined car.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2016, 09:53 AM   #62
1DrivingEmbalmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i | DCT | Dinan S2

Had a Dinan exhaust installed yesterday. Man that thing screams!

Now that the car is breathing much better Its time for a tune. I too would prefer awesome sound over larger power/torque gains as the vehicle is already well balanced and fun to drive but I'm also interested in a complete Dinan vehicle and purchased a stage 2 suspension system that I have yet to install.

The PPK1 paired with the PE sounds great! It would be nice to hear a Dinan Exhaust paired with the Dinan Stage 2 tune before I make my final decision this spring.

Thanks for all the great info guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #63
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DrivingEmbalmer View Post
It would be nice to hear a Dinan Exhaust paired with the Dinan Stage 2 tune before I make my final decision this spring.
I would also like to hear the Dinan S2 tune on the N55, with any exhaust, but preferably the PE.
      01-10-2016, 06:30 PM   #64
1DrivingEmbalmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i | DCT | Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I would also like to hear the Dinan S2 tune on the N55, with any exhaust, but preferably the PE.
If you don't mind me asking, what do you prefer about the PE exhaust over Dinan?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 07:07 PM   #65
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DrivingEmbalmer View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what do you prefer about the PE exhaust over Dinan?
Because of the BMW PE emits those nasty snaps, crackles and burbles on deceleration. I know, I have it and love it!
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #66
abayerko
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2001 Ford Mustang GT, manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Not according to the Dinan rep I spoke to at the East Coast Bimmerfest this past year. He said the tune they apply is additive to the PPK tune because I specifically asked him this question as mine has the PPK2 kit.

Also, if you check Dinan's website for the 135is which is what our 135i cars are with the PPK, you'll see claimed HP improvements which are different than the 135i tunes they have. Doing the math:

135i with Stage 2 = 300+60=360
135is with Stage 2 = 320+52=372
One thing to keep in mind is that German engines are almost ALWAYS underrated, especially in their performance models. The N54/N55 engines produce closer to 320 out of the factory, and this is acknowledged by Dinan in a Car and Driver review where he said the 360 hp tune is actually about a 40 hp gain over stock. So the BMW PPK is probably a 20-25 hp gain which would put you around 340 hp, and going to a Dinan Stage 2 will not net the hp gains that one might expect if neglecting to acknowledge the actual factory output. But on the flip side, the Dinan's torque will still make it feel like a significant gain, I'm assuming.

I'm about to be in the same boat as OP. I am hoping to get a 2009 135i this weekend, and, after coming from a modded Mustang GT, those exhaust crackles and pops are HUGE to me. So its kinda frustrating that out of all the tunes out there, the only one with programmed popping is the PPK. You can also get the noises from a louder exhaust, but not to the same degree and at that point you might be inviting drone, which I absolutely DO NOT want. I really wish Cobb and Dinan would make overrun popping tunes. Its up to us to let them know what we want.
Appreciate 0