01-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #243
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartikus View Post
Wait for the concept at Geneva. The M3 came almost a year after we saw the concept if I remember correctly. When you have M bosses talking about it undercutting the M3, it will come here. Has an //M car ever not make it to the U.S.?
i am in a weird boat. i was really really close to getting a 135i m package and the other day i read the post about the thumbs of up the "m1" from corp. i am trying to figure out when this thing will really get here as i do not want to pull the trigger on the 135i now only to see the m1 on the roads a year from now. i much rather put my name on a list and wait. what are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #244
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastauto View Post
i am in a weird boat. i was really really close to getting a 135i m package and the other day i read the post about the thumbs of up the "m1" from corp. i am trying to figure out when this thing will really get here as i do not want to pull the trigger on the 135i now only to see the m1 on the roads a year from now. i much rather put my name on a list and wait. what are your thoughts?
Well it seems that the ///M1 will be around 18 months out for UK sales....so I would hazard a guess that we won't see them anytime before that.

You are actually in a great position--if you lease the 135 now, say for 30 months, you could be coming off your lease right after all the initial buzz of the ///M1 coming to America is wearing off--which means you wouldn't be paying a substantial premium to have one of the first ones....

Or you could drive a beater for 18 months and just save like mad--I am thinking of going this route.....

Just an idea....
      01-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #245
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:

I'll be surprised if it's here in less than 18 months. When the 1 Series was originally brought to the US, the word was that the 135i with the M Sport package was as close to a true M car as we were going to get. It seems like there's been considerable internal debate up until now about whether or not to actually build the M1, and I'm guessing they've got a pretty sizeable amount of work to do to tool up for this to make the parts, validate the processes, and add them to the production line.

From the manufacturing perspective, doing something like this in less than 12 months would be extremely aggressive, and considering a lot of the tooling can't be finalized until the design work is finished I just don't see it getting here in less than a year and a half.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #246
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I'll be surprised if it's here in less than 18 months. When the 1 Series was originally brought to the US, the word was that the 135i with the M Sport package was as close to a true M car as we were going to get. It seems like there's been considerable internal debate up until now about whether or not to actually build the M1, and I'm guessing they've got a pretty sizeable amount of work to do to tool up for this to make the parts, validate the processes, and add them to the production line.

From the manufacturing perspective, doing something like this in less than 12 months would be extremely aggressive, and considering a lot of the tooling can't be finalized until the design work is finished I just don't see it getting here in less than a year and a half.
agreed. i am thinking 15-18 months before we see them in dealers here. my question is do i wait or do i sign on the line for the one i already have come to terms with my sales rep on?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #247
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Well it seems that the ///M1 will be around 18 months out for UK sales....so I would hazard a guess that we won't see them anytime before that.

You are actually in a great position--if you lease the 135 now, say for 30 months, you could be coming off your lease right after all the initial buzz of the ///M1 coming to America is wearing off--which means you wouldn't be paying a substantial premium to have one of the first ones....

Or you could drive a beater for 18 months and just save like mad--I am thinking of going this route.....

Just an idea....
i could never lease. if i am going to purchse this thing i am going to tear it apart and build it up. i would be putting way too much money into mods to lease. i am sure i will be happy with the end result if do purchase the one i am currently looking at but i really dont want to kick myself in the ass when i see the m1 on the road. by that point my 1 would be pretty wild but its always nice to have a good factory platform/package car.

i love my current car and could keep it around for another 18 months but i have been craving this car. i am not a bmw guy but i really think bmw did something right by putting the tt6 engine into this little package. i think its an amazing car and the price is right on the money
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #248
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

I also agree that the M version will be in approx 18 months - for marketing reasons. It is therefore up to you if you want to wait - but one word of caution; from what I have read to date, the M of the 1 will not be cheap, so if the price is right right now on a 135 Msport, get it, 'cause you'll be paying full price (and high price) for the M upon its introduction.

If you get the 135Msport now, you can hold it for 3 years, then the M heat will have dissipated and pricing flex (to a resonable degree) will permit you to get a better deal on one. And in the meantime, you won't be bored with the 135Msport, that's a promise
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #249
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista View Post
I also agree that the M version will be in approx 18 months - for marketing reasons. It is therefore up to you if you want to wait - but one word of caution; from what I have read to date, the M of the 1 will not be cheap, so if the price is right right now on a 135 Msport, get it, 'cause you'll be paying full price (and high price) for the M upon its introduction.

If you get the 135Msport now, you can hold it for 3 years, then the M heat will have dissipated and pricing flex (to a resonable degree) will permit you to get a better deal on one. And in the meantime, you won't be bored with the 135Msport, that's a promise
yeah, i think your right. i am pretty sure i am going to pull the trigger but this whole M1 thing threw me off track. i dont mind pay more for a real m car but i think your right and i will be happy with what i get. fyi the car i am looking at is not cheap. its 46k! i guess all the little crap adds up.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #250
1HungryMan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Quote:

Man this is what I don't get. The 135 M Sport is not good enough for all you crazy car nuts ?? The 135 is a monster of a car.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #251
Spartikus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twin-Turbos

Quote:
I believe we'll see it in 18months. You dont have to be one of the first folks to get an M1. I would buy a relatively cheap CPO 135i and drive that for two years and sell it for an M1 after the price gouging and what not stops. My .02
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #252
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HungryMan View Post
Man this is what I don't get. The 135 M Sport is not good enough for all you crazy car nuts ?? The 135 is a monster of a car.
It's never enough!

Seriously though, the current 135i does have some shortcomings, with the tendency to understeer at the limit being probably the major dynamic issue, suspension that's tuned just a little too much for comfort for some tastes, and brakes that don't hold up quite as well under track use as you'd expect from 6 pot calipers, not to mention the limited ability to increase tire sizes.

I mean lets just face facts, its track manors are compromised to broaden its appeal.

The car is good, but as when the ///M division gets involved, there's certainly room for improvement. If they can improve on the issues mentioned above, they're going to have a world beater on their hands.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #253
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
yeah, i think your right. i am pretty sure i am going to pull the trigger but this whole M1 thing threw me off track. i dont mind pay more for a real m car but i think your right and i will be happy with what i get. fyi the car i am looking at is not cheap. its 46k! i guess all the little crap adds up.
I hear you. When I tell people my car's list price their eyes pop quicker than my roof.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HungryMan View Post
Oh no, you got me wrong; I agree with you - my car is perfectly fine for me - that is in fact why I advised our friend to get one and not wait.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #254
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
It's never enough!

Seriously though, the current 135i does have some shortcomings, with the tendency to understeer at the limit being probably the major dynamic issue, suspension that's tuned just a little too much for comfort for some tastes, and brakes that don't hold up quite as well under track use as you'd expect from 6 pot calipers, not to mention the limited ability to increase tire sizes.

I mean lets just face facts, its track manors are compromised to broaden its appeal.

The car is good, but as when the ///M division gets involved, there's certainly room for improvement. If they can improve on the issues mentioned above, they're going to have a world beater on their hands.
Right, but the understeer and tire are easy to correct by doing a square 235 tire setup

The brakes and suspension though, I agree with you - that's where the M division comes in. As well, the real LSD that surely must be put into an M will make a huge difference as well (obvioulsy in addition to actual increase in Hp/torque)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #255
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Right, but the understeer and tire are easy to correct by doing a square 235 tire setup
But by doing that all you're doing is reducing rear grip, and that's not going to make you faster around a track, and reducing traction off the line. The guys who are actually racing this car (like Berk) have had to go to WIDER tires up front than in the rear to fight the understear. It's really not all that easily corrected.

I forgot the LSD. That will certainly be a welcome addition.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #256
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Ah, interesting - learned something - i thought a square setup would do the trick - i guess the understeer is somehow designed in the suspension geometry as well (the car is actually fairly well balanced) - this is different from the e90s (my previous ride), where a square set up would transform the car into quite a competent handler on a track, from the experience of my tracking friends.

BTW Jeremyc74 - I love your quote / sig
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #257
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
I wonder if the M1 (or whatever it will be called) will look like the current 1 series, or the new 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #258
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah, interesting - learned something - i thought a square setup would do the trick - i guess the understeer is somehow designed in the suspension geometry as well (the car is actually fairly well balanced) - this is different from the e90s (my previous ride), where a square set up would transform the car into quite a competent handler on a track, from the experience of my tracking friends.

BTW Jeremyc74 - I love your quote / sig

The understeer seems to be pretty well designed into the car. It will be interesting to see how the M division deals with it. Maybe we can take whatever they do and apply it to the existing cars for some improvements. Nothing like letting BMW foot the development costs for the tuners!

About the sig...thanks. I've searched it, and as far as I can find out it's a legit quote.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #259
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

!

Last edited by Jaguar66; 04-17-2010 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #260
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
You are correct, sir. I had an '85 E30 325i, and put +1 wheels/tires, larger sway bars, new shocks/springs to make the car handle better. Then the '88 E30 M3 came out, and straight out of the box it handled better, had more balance, gripped better than my heavily modded 325i. I had no choice but to trade up to the M3. Could have saved many $$. This will happen to the new 1M1 (hey I like this name for the new car) after the M Division gets thru modifying the 135i. It will be an all around better car. People looking forward to much more than 350 hp, or significant weight loss are asking for too much IMO. I am basing this on my experience from the first M3. But the car will be able to handle the power much better. It should be an awesome car.
You had an E30 M3?!?!?!? You also enjoyed a Cayman S. You win in life!!
      01-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #261
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Check out my avatar......I also have an E30 M3. It is tucked neatly in the back of my garage under a cover for its winter slumber.

And to the prior post, yes, the E30 M is much more capable than the standard E30. My buddy has an E30 spec racer, 325is. Cage, suspension, camber plates, poly bushings all around, R comps, headers, chip, exhaust etc etc etc. My e30 M3 is stock except for Bilstein sports and H&R Race springs.

At the time trial events we competed in, I was always faster than him. It got so bad he stopped inviting me to the events. LOL.

Dreaming of how cool it would be to have the M1 in my garage next to the E30 M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #262
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Check out my avatar......I also have an E30 M3. It is tucked neatly in the back of my garage under a cover for its winter slumber.

And to the prior post, yes, the E30 M is much more capable than the standard E30. My buddy has an E30 spec racer, 325is. Cage, suspension, camber plates, poly bushings all around, R comps, headers, chip, exhaust etc etc etc. My e30 M3 is stock except for Bilstein sports and H&R Race springs.

At the time trial events we competed in, I was always faster than him. It got so bad he stopped inviting me to the events. LOL.

Dreaming of how cool it would be to have the M1 in my garage next to the E30 M3.

Yiikes, I believe it! These things are greater than a sum of parts. Such great cars. It's awesome how you guys can appreciate them for exactly what they are. Many can't get over company changes to ever buy another M. It's not like we're arguing that super modding can't be enjoyable.
      01-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #263
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

This sounds like a car that can be daily driven on week days, and a weekend fun car at the auto x course on weekends. Here's to BMW and the hope that it will be here sooner than the 18 months quoted elsewhere!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #264
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

it's about time!