Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
60-70k for a car that has near identical performance to any other 135? no thank you. As a BMW technician, It's not uncommon to drive these things for duplication of complaint road tests. It just lacks the wow factor. Like I said though, it's a beautiful car and I like it a lot, but it just needed "more". No disrespect to the owners obviously.
Firstly i LOVE the 135....so i'm not going to knock it in any way.

Secondly it's not just a 'tuned' 135. The entire suspension architecture is different...the brakes, steering rack, hubs, control arms, etc all from an M3....in a significantly smaller package equates to some madness.

it doesn't have near identical performance....the 1M feels waaaaay more planted than any 135 i've driven....hell it feels more planted than any E9X M3 i've driven. It's like a butch disaster of a frankenstein beast. If you don't find it special...you haven't driven it enough. Testing for squeaks doesn't count

there is no comparison between the 135is i had before and the 1M. the 1M carries itself with a composure and confidence that the 135is never did----and when i say this i say it with great respect i have for the 135.

I've driven plenty of E9X M3s (at least 4) and never found any of them as playful, rabid, and full of energy as the 1M is. It's in a whole different category. A category all these 3-series owners trolling this thread could never really understand...lol.

i drove my 135 for 120 miles a day before getting rid of it. Now i drive my 1M for 120 miles a day.

My feeling is that the 1M pisses a lot of people off because it doesn't depreciate. I personally don't care about any of that as my only interest is in how something drives; and in that case there's nothing else i'd rather be driving in pretty much any price range.
lol I don't think there's anything that pisses people off about the 1M, I'm sure almost everyone loves this little car, me included. What I could see as pissing off people is the way some of the 1M fanboys act about other cars, like because the 1M keep their value it means it's better then anything else that is hit by normal depreciation. The ONLY reason why it keeps its value is because of the number produce, nothing to do with how good the car is, even though it's a very good car!

As for the comparaison with the E9x, none is better IMO, it's just a matter of preferance. I certainly prefer the better looking, more luxurious and more powerfull(thanks to a much more special engine) M3, I also think that, price taken off the equation, 99% of people would choose the M3 over the 1M, but you know what, nothing wrong about being in the 1%!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 01:44 PM   #46
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
Am I the only one who really doesn't think it's that special? I've driven them a bunch of times, around nice twisties and romped on the gas pedal, and it really doesn't feel like anything special. Don't get me wrong, I like it and it looks great, but I don't see what all the hype is about.
You aren't the only one, no. you are in the same boat as the E90 M3 owners and many other drivers that missed out on the opportunity to own one and now are trying hard to convince yourself its nothing special!

Before ordering mine I had a 135i, several M3's and a bunch of 3 series cars. Since getting my 1M I have owned another 135i, a M3, several 3 cars and now also have a M235 and I can tell you, it is special. Not because it's so awesomely fast or beautiful but because it is the intersection of old and new. I have owned 3 different E30 M3's and won't bother owning another because as the saying goes, I've been there, done that and have the tshirt.

The 1M is a better car to drive then the E30 M3, period. It's faster, cheaper to run. Better on track (in stock form) and nicer DD. Don't get me wrong, I like and understand the love affair with E30 M3's and all the rest, but yes, the 1M is a VERY special car! Stop fighting it and buy one, if you can find one you like.

nicely put.... and certainly no one can argue that you don't know what you are talking about LOL. I owned two differnt E30 M3s during a 17 year period of ownership and the 1M was what caused me to sell my E30 M3... While I do miss having an E30 M3 in my garage.. I have never regretted the decision.

I was very lucky to go from a VERY special BMW to another VERY special BMW.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 01-02-2015 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #47
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Used prices medium term of 1M will fall into a range of collectable, limited production, special BMW's, E46 M3 CSL, E30 M3 Evo 2 and Sport Evo but below those of Z8. M1, 507 and original 328 roadster will always be in a different bracket. £300,000 for a decent M1 now.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #48
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
lol I don't think there's anything that pisses people off about the 1M, I'm sure almost everyone loves this little car, me included. What I could see as pissing off people is the way some of the 1M fanboys act about other cars, like because the 1M keep their value it means it's better then anything else that is hit by normal depreciation. The ONLY reason why it keeps its value is because of the number produce, nothing to do with how good the car is, even though it's a very good car!

As for the comparaison with the E9x, none is better IMO, it's just a matter of preferance. I certainly prefer the better looking, more luxurious and more powerfull(thanks to a much more special engine) M3, I also think that, price taken off the equation, 99% of people would choose the M3 over the 1M, but you know what, nothing wrong about being in the 1%!
Really like what you've said here, but you didn't need to throw in the "99% of people have the same preferences as me" at the end. Makes you sound like the 1M fanboys you're knocking.

Overall, really solid comment though
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #49
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

It's sad that after all these year there are still people that say that we never landed on the moon, the Holocaust didn't happen and that the 1M is a tuned 135i. The sheetmetal was different to start with and it can accomodate bigger rubber. It wasn't just a body kit, different sheetmetal. Suspension components were lighter than 135i. The brakes were M3 brakes not for looks as the 135i calipers looked nicer, but M found them to be stronger for track duty and no ceramic piston failures like on 135s. The exhaust was gnarly and different. The flywheel was lightened. The diff was M-sport full lock. It only came in MANual and no sunroof. It weighed less than 135i. The steering rack was hydraulic M3 rack, faster than 135i. The 135i in 2011 was an N55, not N54. Also, the 1M had M-Dynamic traction control, not available on 135i. These are not simple tuner changes!

Retrofitting the hydraulic rack, M3 diff and replacing lighter flywheel and fitting the ZCP M3 wheels and suspension is quite a bit of mechanical and body work. I'm sure a tuner can do all that and add the extra power but at what cost?

What made the 1M special and different from 135i for me was the fact that it was only offered in manual and it will be the last BMW ever offered in manual only. It was the first BMW to have the air curtains which now every BMW has them even the M3 and M4. It was the first turbo M car, which now all the M cars are that way.

Many don't see it as special because the hype is so high that it sets unrealistic expectations for some, especially when so many BMW fans put more importance on creature comforts and gadgets which are not what the 1M was targeted too. You can see that by the fact that most were ordered fully loaded. Many of the gripes were that many wanted automatic in the 1M and some even griped because there was no light in the vanity mirror in the 1M.

Also, most are fixated on numbers and not how a car drives. You see that all day with guys quoting .2 second 0-60 time to completely discount the joy of a manual transmission or saying the M235i is better because it lapped the Ring faster. Sorry, the M235i is a car I could possibly own but not even close to 1M is visceral excitement and driving feel.

The 1M was targeted to a smaller audience than any other BMW. Just by the fact that it was manual only with mechanical firm suspension.

Every other BMW is targeted at every other type with all sorts of options, self parking, interior colors, comfort suspension, automatic, etc, etc, etc so it's natural that it's not for everyone but it is undeniably a very special car in the BMW lineage. It was the last and final analog masterpiece that BMW created. The new cars like M2 and M3 and M4 will appeal to the masses and will post better numbers but they will not have the character, like it or not, that the 1M has.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #50
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Quote:
Well said!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #51
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Quote:

Really like what you've said here, but you didn't need to throw in the "99% of people have the same preferences as me" at the end. Makes you sound like the 1M fanboys you're knocking.

Overall, really solid comment though
Sorry to disapoint you , but seriously I really only meant that I sinserely think 99% of people would choose, like me, the better looking, more luxurious and more powerfull car over the more nimble one, just to illustrate what I think most car buyers priorize in a car, not to say the E9x is better.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #52
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Quote:
Originally Posted by norMcal
Quote:
Well said!
Over the last 100 years the car industry is littered with cars that sold in small numbers but are hardly worth a bean. In the classic car market you do need more than just limited production to generate value. BMW's with the exception of M1 have never generated the really big money like some limited production models from Ferrari, Porsche, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #53
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3
Quote:
Originally Posted by norMcal
Quote:
Well said!
Over the last 100 years the car industry is littered with cars that sold in small numbers but are hardly worth a bean. In the classic car market you do need more than just limited production to generate value. BMW's with the exception of M1 have never generated the really big money like some limited production models from Ferrari, Porsche, etc.
The greatness of a car certainly don't harm its value, but in this case where the 1M actually gained value the same year it was built, my opinion is that it's only due to the very very low number of production.

I even predict that the M2 will be just as good, in fact better then the 1M and we wont see it gaining value over time, simple principle of offer and demand!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #54
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Bmw 507? 3.0csl?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 02:52 PM   #55
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
It's interesting that when looking at most of the negative comments in this thread if I look to the left by the username, and then under that there is the little description that says "Drives:"...and most of them don't drive a 1M....hum, that's weird!

Concerning negative press reviews: If it were possible it would be fun to quantify press opinions on the car...then Randy Pobst, or that terribly painful MotorTrend review would turn into the statistical outliers...as in removed from consideration! I get that you can impress everyone all of the time. But to search for a bad review because you are looking for it? Well, there aren't many to be found. I'm really sorry that someone peed in Randy's Wheaties that morning. He was sad.

Concerning RARE but not SPECIAL: That's like saying your girl wouldn't be so beautiful if her face wasn't so pretty. Uhhh? Ok? Part of what makes it special is that IT IS rare.

Take a car with a awkward, rushed birth, designed for one major intent concocted by raiding the parts-bin and get (most) everything just perfect, then squeeze production in after hours. All of which combine for a great story! Next achieve by-in-large excellent press reviews and then make it for only one year and what do you get....a SPECIAL car.
      01-02-2015, 02:58 PM   #56
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic Metallic E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1'M Blue
A cast iron investment that's an utter riot to drive - what could be more heroic than the 1 M Coupe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonHeads.com
From such humble origins - namely BMW's dumpy 1 Series coupe plus a big box of M3 and Z4 bits - it's hard to believe BMW M created a car already elevated to a legend in its own lifetime.

In fact, it's just four years since we first saw the 1 Series M Coupe and since then it's lost none of its impact. That cartoonish silhouette is hardly subtle. Even non-PHers can spot that this 1 Series is nothing like its more prosaic brethren. But few would be able to comprehend the sheer pace and pleasure offered by this pint sized hot rod.

Because it's fast. No quantifying statements needed here. We're not talking about "in class", or "compared to the base model". We're simply talking FAST. As in pull up next to anything this side of a supercar and look 'em dead in the eye fast.

That N54 turbocharged straight-six, tweaked to 340hp in a sub-1,500kg car, was never going to be found wanting. But even those figures don't do the 1 M justice. First there's the delivery of that maximum 369lb ft of torque. While it might be momentarily hesitant on big throttle openings with few revs, hold the loud pedal open for anything more than a few seconds on most British roads and speed limits are breached very easily.

Aural pleasure
That noise is pure bliss for BMW fans too; a grumbly six-cylinder idle right through to a top-end howl. Although the two teeny turbochargers do sap a fair bit of the character and provide some interestingly harsh overtones, we'll let them off the hook because they do such a sterling job of keeping the 265-section rear rubber warm.

The fact that this kind of power and response is hooked-up to one of BMW's best ever gearboxes (hat tip to the Z4) just adds to the endless pleasure of driving this car. The stubby shifter slides Teflon-smooth from gear to gear and the ratios are perfectly matched to the engine. Feed it lower gears for ridiculous neck-snapping sprints, or higher ratios for belly-rumbling turbo torque.

And although the hateful SMG had thankfully met its demise by 2010, there was always the chance that some bright spark could have suggested a DCT or even automatic as an option. So whoever said "manual only" for the 1 M deserves a small PistonHeads medal for keeping this car so pure.

And it's pure alright. Pure hooligan. Don't ever be deceived by the generous cockpit and hand-finished Alcantara dash. Yes, those superbly plush seats might lull you into believing this car is comfortable. And yes, when cruising from point to point with kids on the back seats, only the shock of a cats eye passing under the wheels might remind you how focused it really is.

Dial M for murder
BMW's latest M3 and M4 offer a multitude of buttons to switch from back lane thrasher to Monday morning commuter. There are three settings for steering, three gearbox speeds and three powertrain modes just as a starter. Is that really easier than the old days?

While tempting to harp on about the purity of old cars that lack even the simplest driver aids, that's just not a wise idea for most drivers in everyday use, especially with this much power. So the 1 M has just two buttons to worry about; the stability control on the center of the dash (on, M Dynamic Mode, off) and the M button on the wheel (off, on). With ESP on and the M button left alone, power is cut before you slide and a full range of active braking will control understeer and oversteer situations. In MDM the car will poke its bum out with heartwarming regularity, but will steadfastly refuse to spin without some sort of outside influence (oil, grass, hitting other cars...). And off is off. See the first comment of this paragraph.

And the M button? Half real, half placebo, the magic button on the steering wheel immediately causes the car to surge as the throttle position you're cruising at suddenly delivers a few more ponies. And when you punch it? Overboost. A little page from Porsche's book on excitement yields extravagant grins when driving a little BMW. But that's it, really.

Complicity
The chassis, of course, handles all of this drama without the slightest grumble. This is a PH Hero, after all. So without providing the Crown Prosecution Service material for a gift-wrapped conviction let's just say that it's communicative. It's responsive and it's fun. Whether it's committing to your favourite bends just a bit quicker, or navigating a slippery roundabout in a manner that would cause a traffic officer to regurgitate his fried dough confectionary into his lap, the 1 M delivers with style and aplomb.

We could moan a little about the brakes, which aren't quite up to the task of holding the car in check on the fastest of track days, or about the system which adds more pressure to the calipers for the same given 'feel' at your foot when they inevitably overheat, but these are definitely minor problems.

Committed M purists might baulk at the backward model naming or none-S drivetrain (the 1 M has a breathed-on N45 motor shared with regular BMWs, whereas most M cars get a bespoke engine like the S14, S50 and S62) and turbocharging (less of an argument about that these days), there's one other trait the 1 Series nails. Desirability.

At peak there were just over 400 1 Ms registered in the UK, and they started at close to 40,000 without options. Add in the thoroughly modern media package with smartphone hook-ups, Bluetooth and internet enabled gubbins and you were closer to 45 than 40.

Supply and demand ... lots of demand
One look at the PH classifieds will amaze... as this article goes live the cheapest car is offered at a smidge under 35,000 and the most expensive at over 45,000! See here. With only 381 cars still on the road, supply can't increase. What about demand?

The current F22-shaped M235i, even launching with a manual box at 35,000 earlier this year, utterly failed to make an impression on 1 M values. And that's still a great car. Only the as-yet unconfirmed BMW M2 Coupe even comes close to denting the appeal of the already legendary 1 M.

So if ever there was a car that could offer you the headiest mix of modern technology with downright anti-social driving dynamics, and the tantalising possibility of negligible depreciation, the E82 1 M Coupe is it. Hero status guaranteed.

Source : http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=31384
Great article!

Typo though, it's the N54 motor, not N45 lol
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 03:07 PM   #57
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
20 years from now it will still be special, collectable, and very valuable.
      01-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #58
ShortShiftEnvy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM3 View Post
It's interesting that when looking at most of the negative comments in this thread if I look to the left by the username, and then under that there is the little description that says "Drives:"...and most of them don't drive a 1M....hum, that's weird!
The very same thing can be said about the opposite side of the debate, whereby the only people that feel the need to challenge these so-called "haters" are those members with a 1M listed below their name.

The guy who sold his 1M for a GT3 gets it. Track the car at high speeds and you immediately begin to witness it's short comings.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #59
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Sorry to disapoint you , but seriously I really only meant that I sinserely think 99% of people would choose, like me, the better looking, more luxurious and more powerfull car over the more nimble one, just to illustrate what I think most car buyers priorize in a car, not to say the E9x is better.

i certainly give 0 shits about "luxurious" and a powerful torqueless engine. For me 'power' is all about useability, not numbers.

the 1M is also a waaaaaaaay better looking car than the frankly ordinary looking E9X M3. The 1M has aggression, imagination, a story, and a frankenstein build behind it; the E9X M3 has none of those qualities, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #60
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

i certainly give 0 shits about "luxurious" and a powerful torqueless engine. For me 'power' is all about useability, not numbers.

the 1M is also a waaaaaaaay better looking car than the frankly mundane looking E9X M3. The 1M has aggression, imagination, a story, and a frankenstein build behind it; the E9X M3 has none of those qualities, IMO.
This is because the e82 is a more interesting looking car then the e92. I hadn't noticed until I owned an e82 then really looked at an e92, only in m-sport form does the e92 not look boring. I'm not saying I loved the style of the e82 at first sight.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #61
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
This is because the e82 is a more interesting looking car then the e92. I hadn't noticed until I owned an e82 then really looked at an e92, only in m-sport form does the e92 not look boring. I'm not saying I loved the style of the e82 at first sight.
i definitely agree. i love the E82 in ALL forms, actually.....a throwback to the 'classic' coupe; whereas the E9X was just a generic design.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 03:38 PM   #62
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM3

Concerning negative press reviews: If it were possible it would be fun to quantify press opinions on the car...then Randy Pobst, or that terribly painful MotorTrend review would turn into the statistical outliers...as in removed from consideration! I get that you can impress everyone all of the time. But to search for a bad review because you are looking for it? Well, there aren't many to be found. I'm really sorry that someone peed in Randy's Wheaties that morning. He was sad.

Concerning RARE but not SPECIAL: That's like saying your girl wouldn't be so beautiful if her face wasn't so pretty. Uhhh? Ok? Part of what makes it special is that IT IS rare.

Take a car with a awkward, rushed birth, designed for one major intent concocted by raiding the parts-bin and get (most) everything just perfect, then squeeze production in after hours. All of which combine for a great story! Next achieve by-in-large excellent press reviews and then make it for only one year and what do you get....a SPECIAL car.
The word "special" or in this case the words "not special" have been used describing the way the 1M is built, not about how special it is when you see one in the street.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #63
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShiftEnvy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM3 View Post
The very same thing can be said about the opposite side of the debate, whereby the only people that feel the need to challenge these so-called "haters" are those members with a 1M listed below their name.

The guy who sold his 1M for a GT3 gets it. Track the car at high speeds and you immediately begin to witness it's short comings.
1m track performance vs a gt3 is about as relevant as saying the gt3 is limited by lack of back seat. True but completely pointless
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 04:06 PM   #64
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

the 1M is also a waaaaaaaay better looking car than the frankly ordinary looking E9X M3. The 1M has aggression, imagination, a story, and a frankenstein build behind it; the E9X M3 has none of those qualities, IMO.
Ordinary looking E9x!? lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #65
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShiftEnvy View Post
...But how many 1M owners are going into the e90 and f80 or other forums and saying that 'my car is better and yours isn't all that great'? amiright?

Quote:

...and that's why I chose my words carefully..."MOST"

vs. 997 gt3?....apples and oranges, no? Both cars are build for a different purpose. I think most people would agree that the gt3 is a purpose built track car that is road legal. That was not the intention with the 1M.

Last edited by GimmeanM; 01-02-2015 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2015, 04:28 PM   #66
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM3
Quote:
...But how many 1M owners are going into the e90 and f80 or other forums and saying that 'my car is better and yours isn't all that great'? amiright?

Quote:

...and that's why I chose my words carefully..."MOST"

vs. 997 gt3?....apples and oranges, no? Both cars are build for a different purpose. I think most people would agree that the gt3 is a purpose built track car that is road legal. That was not the intention with the 1M.
Just to clarify, we're on the main page of Bimmerpost!
Appreciate 0