BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #67
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mer View Post
Mind you, I bet some 1M owners would be complaining if BMW started offering Alcantara trim or 1M tuning upgrades for the 135i
nope, because BMW would charge a premium for these upgrades, but the M3 Comp wheels come no charge.

JOY is being offered in manual transmission and RWD.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #68
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
Mind you, I bet some 1M owners would be complaining if BMW started offering Alcantara trim or 1M tuning upgrades for the 135i

just stick to we don't care! You where right there
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #69
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan '11 M3

I have e92 M3 zcp and don't care that the 1M has my wheels. It's a BMW. It's an M. We are family. I look out for my family. :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #70
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauldramos View Post
I have e92 M3 zcp and don't care that the 1M has my wheels. It's a BMW. It's an M. We are family. I look out for my family. :-)
I think we would all draw a line at the Civic though - eh?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #71
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Turbo View Post
If BMW actually bothered to give brand new parts to 1M instead of blindly taking them from another M model, M3 (which is a first by the way), I would have more respect for 1M.

The fact that them not even bothering to give 1M different wheels tells you something. I understand the engine replacement wouldn't be cost effective for a short production window but there are other parts like wheels, suspension, steering wheel, pedals, etc that they could easily create new parts. What did they do instead? They stole them from the M3, the car that they knew is successful and proved itself. So no risk of people not liking the rims or brakes not performing well. In my opinion, an M should have its own unique characteristics and this car doesn't. This is probably why its not called M1, but 1M like X5M or X6M. Its not a true super car, but an affordable patched up version of an entry level 1 series.

At least they could give 1M a different set of wheels! Come on! How expensive is that? They should have made something unique about this car.

No matter what autoblog does or how this car performs, in the eyes of the car enthusiasts, this will always be the case. 1M will never be treated same way as M5 or M6. Sad, but true.
It's easy to armchair quarterback or nonsensically nitpick from behind a keyboard.

Quote:
"In the eyes of car enthusiasts "
please... Apparently all of the pre-drive participants, automotive journalists, and now OWNERS that now disagree (none of whom apparently qualify as enthusiasts apparently, based on your definition) with you and yet you persist with such drivel. Since you are the only enthusiast whose opinion you value, I beg of you.. Please go DRIVE the 1M before you embarass yourself further...

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 05-15-2011 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #72
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Turbo View Post
Of course 1M is amazing, a civic would be amazing if you took all that from an M3 and gave them to it. I never denied the fact that 1M not being amazing or not driving amazing. You are missing the point.

I am just stating my opinion which is "it'd be better if at least some parts of 1M was unique to it".

To each his own.
Why would it use unique parts? How would using unique parts make it "better"? If BMW designed the M3 parts to be the best possible for the situation, how would they design better parts? They have pieces that work and work great so they used them. If the 1 had come first it would have been the other way around, why design something new when youll most likely end up with something very similar to what you have in house.

Maybe you havent seen it before because cars in the BMW line up before were never this similar. A 135 to me is a 335 in a smaller lighter package. A 335 is not a smaller lighter 535 though.

I wonder what happens next gen if both cars share parts? Especially since they should launch around the same time.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #73
SUBIMMER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2004 cobb STI/ AW 1M comming s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Why would it use unique parts? How would using unique parts make it "better"? If BMW designed the M3 parts to be the best possible for the situation, how would they design better parts? They have pieces that work and work great so they used them. If the 1 had come first it would have been the other way around, why design something new when youll most likely end up with something very similar to what you have in house.

Maybe you havent seen it before because cars in the BMW line up before were never this similar. A 135 to me is a 335 in a smaller lighter package. A 335 is not a smaller lighter 535 though.

I wonder what happens next gen if both cars share parts? Especially since they should launch around the same time.
very good point . And also considering car companies carry over parts from motorsports experience , why would they not share these on all their performance models..?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #74
Swedish M3ffia
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHerb View Post
Congratulations on completely missing the point, oh wise future seeing sage of 1M hatred and E30 fanboyism. You've obviously been driving your 1M daily and seem dissapointed? You don't have one? Oh. Perhaps you are just another future E9x M3 owner who is worried about this car stepping on your toes. Let me know how your plug and play 70 hp goes in your NA V8.
This car I could see going the way of the Supra. Just not popular or special ever.

Yogijet has it right.
No I am not missing the point. The 1m is an good car but it definately nothing special. Someone was saying that the 1m was going to be a collector and compared it to the e30 m3, that is just hillarious. I am not att all worried about the 1m, I think it is very ugly and beside performence I want a beutiful car. The engine is like every other n54/n55 you see around, just with a tune.
No you cant get 70 hp with a tune off the s65 but i dont give a shit. Well im buying a new car so I wouldnt void my warranty. With all turbos you can higher the boost and get more hp. But then the wear is getting higher and would want to stand without warranty with an engine that is proven unreliable. I know, my 335 had to change turbos and transmission. If I would void my warranty I would do it with class, slam a supercharger for 8 grand, try to follow with your 1-series.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #75
SUBIMMER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2004 cobb STI/ AW 1M comming s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish M3ffia View Post
No I am not missing the point. The 1m is an good car but it definately nothing special. Someone was saying that the 1m was going to be a collector and compared it to the e30 m3, that is just hillarious. I am not att all worried about the 1m, I think it is very ugly and beside performence I want a beutiful car. The engine is like every other n54/n55 you see around, just with a tune.
No you cant get 70 hp with a tune off the s65 but i dont give a shit. Well im buying a new car so I wouldnt void my warranty. With all turbos you can higher the boost and get more hp. But then the wear is getting higher and would want to stand without warranty with an engine that is proven unreliable. I know, my 335 had to change turbos and transmission. If I would void my warranty I would do it with class, slam a supercharger for 8 grand, try to follow with your 1-series.
hmmmm.... my subaru has been tuned to 19 psi of boost from the tiny stock turbo for the last 100 000 km and i never had one single engine problem.....
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #76
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
So its ok to increase "wear and stand w/o warranty", when you do it with class??

Youre discounting a forced induction turbo car yet say you would go forced induction via supercharger? For 8 grand at that? Sorry dude, TT free HP, SC not so much free, and Im not talking about the 8 grand to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #77
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think we would all draw a line at the Civic though - eh?
oh, no doubt there... Tin can with a jet engine would not even rate...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #78
Swedish M3ffia
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
So its ok to increase "wear and stand w/o warranty", when you do it with class??

Youre discounting a forced induction turbo car yet say you would go forced induction via supercharger? For 8 grand at that? Sorry dude, TT free HP, SC not so much free, and Im not talking about the 8 grand to upgrade.
What I mean if you gonna void your warranty, do it for real. A tune to void your warrant is lame, a supercharger is epic. Tro to follow a supercharged m3 with your 1m..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #79
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep

Quote:

What I mean if you gonna void your warranty, do it for real. A tune to void your warrant is lame, a supercharger is epic. Tro to follow a supercharged m3 with your 1m..
Tru dat!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #80
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I actually look at things the other way. It would take more money to start with a new 135i and tune it into something as capable as the 1M, than to buy the 1M in the first place. From that perspective, the 1M is a great value. For about $50k nicely equipped you get a hell of a car and one that performs even better than the M3 in some aspects.

This parts bin engineering seems to be producing great results here. If the parts work well on the car, I don't think they need to be bespoke to the 1 series. Now, if there is a suggestion that bespoke non-M3 parts for the 1M could produce even better results, I might buy that argument. But bespoke parts for the sake of it is just for poseurs and others that need to feed an ego IMO.

At the end of the day, I guess I thought the goal of these cars was to have something enjoyable to drive.

Last edited by vantagesc; 05-15-2011 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #81
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

If you haven't driven both cars, shut your mouth! They are both amazing machines. The fact that the M3 guys are even in here speaks volumes. Go back to your forum and let us 1er peasants enjoy our rides! The best way to show you are superior is to live and let die. If you are happy with your car that is all that matters, whichever one it is. Many of us had the choice between both models. They cater to different needs and tastes. Yes the M3 is more "special", and the 1M is so damn good that if it were any more bespoke it would have to cost the same! I'm glad you paid the markup for the R and D on a bunch of stuff that was just "parts binned" onto my car for less $. Thanks boys!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #82
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
you just dont get it. If you drop $8k to supercharge a M3, and someone here drops $8k to mod the 1M, who do u think will win?

If you have superiority issues, go seek some help...nobody here cares. We are all BMW M enthusiasts. Get along or get lost.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #83
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
I think he's worried about the young upstart 1M having the same wheels as his precious M3 ZCP. It's the loss of M3 exclusivity that bothers him - that and the fact that the majority of the 1M community don't even care!
Thank You!

Does anyone notice the only folk who are totally negative about our 1ms are those who don't own one. I am too busy enjoying this little orange monster to care whether it's a "real M" or not. All I can say is BMW you chose a great parts bin to steal from.

Holly
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #84
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
I actually look at things the other way. It would take more money to start with a new 135i and tune it into something as capable as the 1M, than to buy the 1M in the first place. From that perspective, the 1M is a great value. For about $50k nicely equipped you get a hell of a car and one that performs even better than the M3 in some aspects.

This parts bin engineering seems to be producing great results here. If the parts work well on the car, I don't think they need to be bespoke to the 1 series. Now, if there is a suggestion that bespoke non-M3 parts for the 1M could produce even better results, I might buy that argument. But bespoke parts for the sake of it is just for poseurs and others that need to feed an ego IMO.

At the end of the day, I guess I thought the goal of these cars was to have something enjoyable to drive.

I think the 1M is a good value and largely as I wanted it done.

Would I prefer a "better" engine? Hell yes! DCT option available? Yup. Better gear ratio in the diff? Yup.

But each would add cost and maybe delayed/prevented the project altogether.

I don't see any way to argue that the M3, with that glorious engine, isn't more "special" in that the sound and the performance and the amazing output of that tiny engine is astounding, yet it is a legit daily driver that can still kick butt. On most tracks, it'll outrun a 1M, and on most roads, ride better. It will also haul adults in the back, for short rides anyway.

Still, for me, the M3 is too expensive to consider as a DD. It's not that I CAN'T afford it; it's that my sense of value is such that it would hurt me more than please me, to drive a $65k car every day, knowing that as each mile clicked over on the odometer, a decent chunk of a dollar of remaining value was draining out of it.

For that reason, and the amazing performance for the $$$, the 1M is definitely in contention for the top spot on my list. Put it right there with a CPO M3 and a Boss 302. Boss is likely the fastest in any performance contest, but also the most spartan and low-rent. M3 is probably my favorite if they were all new and all free, but given that I'd get a used one and have to sit where someone else had been farting for 40k miles takes it down a notch. 1M is a nice combo of luxury and sport. I need to look at the 1M interior to see if it's acceptable. Boss has recaro sport buckets, which are nice. M3 has nice seats. I wonder if the side support of the 1M seats is worthy of the car's potential?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #85
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Im not buying a 1M to beat or even keep up with an M3. That doesnt interest me. Did you buy an M3 to brag about who you are faster than?

$400 for gobs of power? EPIC!! $8k? kinda lame (Id rather spend 8k elsewhere). M3 + 8k puts you close to stepping up into something possibly much better than an M3.

You complain about the car, then cite warranty issues bc of a tune, then use warranty voiding examples to substantiate how your car can outperform a 1M?

There will always be someone faster than you sometimes its a "lesser" car. Learn to live with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #86
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollysmac View Post
Thank You!

Does anyone notice the only folk who are totally negative about our 1ms are those who don't own one. I am too busy enjoying this little orange monster to care whether it's a "real M" or not. All I can say is BMW you chose a great parts bin to steal from.

Holly
Hey Holly. I have an M3 and I am not negative on the 1M. I think the 1M is a great car. Not for me though. I'm happy with my M3, very happy. I am glad that people on this post love their car. We are very fortunate to be driving cars we LOVE... M3 and me very happy.....
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #87
lavaletta
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 04 3.0i Z4; 09 135i; VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by l888apex View Post
I'm glad you paid the markup for the R and D on a bunch of stuff that was just "parts binned" onto my car for less $. Thanks boys!
+1
      05-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #88
Jet Mech
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post

+1...Tru Dat.
Appreciate 0