BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-18-2020, 09:19 PM   #1
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Towing your car to a trackday weekend, how and what options are available?

So despite the Pandemic ruining this season, I’ve always contemplated of taking my family to a track weekend, even if its just once a year. My toddler is SO into cars and racing (loves F1 and Lemans) and my wife, though very supportive with this hobby (had a splendid experience when we attended RR VI in Laguna Seca in Northern Calif.), hates the heat of summer. I’ve always driven to and from local tracks in my car but would want to have a chance to take them with me while also having a place where they can “hang out” while I’m out on sessions. A few things came to my mind with this idea and was wondering what others’ experiences/recommendations are:

1. Don’t own a pickup, so renting a big pickup and trailer, tow car. They can then have an option to hang out in car (maybe place a canopy and some chairs outside should they choose to). This way we can also hang out together on the drive to wherever the track is and have some good quality time during the drive- this is very important to me. I figured this must cost $$$.

2. Take two cars (not a fan of this as we can’t spend time on the long drives) and just stay in a hotel after the day. Also, SO can’t escape the summer heat unless she hangs out in the second car (our XC90) all day.

3. Rent small-ish RV to tow car, then same as option 1. I’m assuming this is even more $$$$$.

I’ve been in a few trackdays and saw a lot of people with their towing rigs and RVs but never had a chance to ask how they made it work, maybe someone here can chime in and share their experience. Statements above were very generalized. I can be more specific if need be. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 03:53 PM   #2
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

The most expensive part of having a dedicated track car is the tow vehicle and trailer. Not much getting around it.

There are trailers called "toy haulers" that can have a Mini bunk and bathroom, and room for the car that converts into living space when the car isn't in it. They're big money though, and I don't where you'd rent one, and you need a big truck to yank it around.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #3
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

I think you could tow the car with your xc90, and then have a collapsible canopy and chairs for hanging out?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #4
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg6975 View Post
The most expensive part of having a dedicated track car is the tow vehicle and trailer. Not much getting around it.

There are trailers called "toy haulers" that can have a Mini bunk and bathroom, and room for the car that converts into living space when the car isn't in it. They're big money though, and I don't where you'd rent one, and you need a big truck to yank it around.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I thought so, too. There’s just no “cheap or reasonable” way to do this. Renting a truck and trailer in itself is probably not even worth the $$$.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 05:44 PM   #5
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
I think you could tow the car with your xc90, and then have a collapsible canopy and chairs for hanging out?
I think the XC90 can only tow up to 5000lbs which will not cut it. The “track” car which is 3000+ lbs AND the trailer will be way more than that. Plus, ours is the 3.2 version, not the V8. I don’t even think the V8 can even tow more than that. If it were something more robust like a Nissan Armada that I had as a rental in the past, that thing hauls!

Appreciate the tip.
Appreciate 1
dtla1827.50
      05-20-2020, 05:48 PM   #6
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by $iriu$black View Post
I think the XC90 can only tow up to 5000lbs which will not cut it. The “track” car which is 3000+ lbs AND the trailer will be way more than that. Plus, ours is the 3.2 version, not the V8. I don’t even think the V8 can even tow more than that. If it were something more robust like a Nissan Armada that I had as a rental in the past, that thing hauls!

Appreciate the tip.
I think you're right. The car and trailer would be at or maybe a tiny bit more than 5k lbs. I always imagine the european make cars towing a whole bunch of crap, I guess I wanted this to be true in your scenario too.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 06:06 PM   #7
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
I think you're right. The car and trailer would be at or maybe a tiny bit more than 5k lbs. I always imagine the european make cars towing a whole bunch of crap, I guess I wanted this to be true in your scenario too.
Yeah, they make it look like they can, and I actually though it would too before. But then after researching it, it’s just way too heavy. Plus, others who have done it had to add a trans cooler to the Volvo just to make sure it will make it. If it were a stripped Miata though, maybe, or a Lotus even. But alas, here we are with an underpowered and heavy 1er.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:05 AM   #8
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

One of my buddies purchased a enclosed trailer to haul his car to the track, but doesn't have a pickup either. He chose to purchase a trailer, and everytime he needs to go to the track, he just rents a pickup to tow the trailer.

Right now, I have a silverado to tow with but no trailer (due to space at my house and a pita HOA), but recently started out renting a building out to store&work on my motorcycles so I'll be in the market for a trailer soon.
Like others have mentioned, having a toy hauler and trailer is the biggest investment into track cars minus the car themselves. So currently, I throw wheels with street tires on it and drive the car to the track while I have a buddy or the gf drive the truck with my track wheels/tools/canopy/chairs, etc for the day/weekend. And for the weekends the M3 has issues, I added a solid tow package to my insurance for those occasions to have the car towed home.

-Eric
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 02:08 AM   #9
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by $iriu$black View Post

Appreciate the tip.
If your Volvo can tow 5,000 pounds, it can tow a 128i, as long as you have the right trailer. I've towed mine with my 4Runner (also rated for 5000#) from San Diego to North Carolina, and then from North Carolina to Washington State, and I'm getting ready to tow from Washington State back to San Diego.

The key is being smart about it. Get an Equal-i-zer hitch, an electronic brake controller, and some tow mirrors. I also added a tranny cooler and some rear air helper springs to my rig. Use the factory tie down points (have to remove the jack pads, which basically destroys them).

Your trailer should be as light as possible, because our little cars are pigs. If you can find and afford an aluminum Trailex, you're golden, you might not even need some of the other stuff I mentioned. I went for a customized steel car hauler that set me back about $3K, but it's light-ish enough (1800#) and it works.

I have a thread over at T4R.org here, I recommend checking it out because I tried to lay it out as a tutorial. I'm happy to answer any questions here as well, but I reckon a lot will be answered just by reading that thread.

One thing to emphasize is DO NOT cut corners and DO NOT skimp on safety equipment. Check your trailer's lights and tire pressures every time you take it out. Do it right or don't do it at all. Once I got a little experience under my belt, I started seeing some of the crazy shit other people do and it drives me nuts, lol.

Good luck!
      06-11-2020, 03:04 PM   #10
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Cheapest option should be to get a big good quality tent/canopy....coupe of chairs and foldable table. U can fit all in the car or can also add a roof rack which u can remove on the track.
One session is 20-30 mins, so the car is their for the kids to hang out all other times.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 08:03 PM   #11
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

I have a car hauler but I prefer to tow a little trailer behind the track car with tires/canopy/supplies
Appreciate 0