BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-03-2019, 06:30 PM   #45
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
I'm using Hawk HT-10 right now, they're great on track, noisy as hell on the street, almost unbearable to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 06:14 PM   #46
Just Apex It
Euro Haus Founder
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 330Ci ZHP

Anybody have a good recommendation for street pads? Looking for low dust and better braking power when used spiritedly on good back roads/mountain roads. I’ve narrowed it down to Stoptech Sport and EBC Redstuff. Open to other suggestions as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 06:31 PM   #47
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

My StopTech street/sport are every bit as dusty as the stock pads, just a little different color, and though not bad have more of a tendency toward the occasional squeak.

Knowing that I'll not be hitting the track in this car,
I'll be leaning toward the reds next time.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 06:15 PM   #48
Just Apex It
Euro Haus Founder
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 330Ci ZHP

Pad: EBC Redstuff
Suggested use: Street
Actual use: Street and spirited driving
Dust: Significantly less than OEM. I can go a whole tank of gas now and the wheels will actually still look "clean".
Rating for actual use: absolutely phenomenal pads for a street car! Less dust, firmer pedal feel, and braking performance is at least similar to OEM if not better. 100% I would recommend these pads for a street car.

Current: '04 E46 330Ci ZHP 6MT
Sold: '16 F22 M235i 6MT - '15 F82 M4 DCT - '11 E82 135i 6MT - '07 E90 335i ZSP
Appreciate 3
dtla1826.00
lab_rat394.50
      02-29-2020, 06:11 PM   #49
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i M-Sport coupe

Recently did brakes all around, prior to needing to replace the wear sensors. ECS Tuning, Stop Tech-sourced drilled rotors (fronts are 2 piece and also slotted) 'just because' the fronts are similar to the ones on the car (BMW performance brake kit) and did not want the look of blanks on the rear. EBC red stuff pads for street only driving.

Fronts completed a couple weeks prior to rears as one rear rotor was backordered. Not a lot of miles so far on the complete set up, but enough to get pad wear across the rotor surfaces. Even before the bedding process, the grip was very good with strong initial bite. After bedding, not a whole lot of difference noted. Braking is really good, probably at least a bit better than the OE components. Not sure about the dust yet as I haven't had them very long after bedding. Anything less than what the OE dust level was, and I'll be extremely happy!

Thanks to those who provided reviews as I used your input heavily before making my decision!
E9x M3 front & rear suspension arms; BMW Performance brakes upgraded to drilled rotors in rear; BMW performance shifter; BMW Performance Exhaust; Wave Trac LSD with modified 'nannies'; BMW Euro Intake box; BMW Aluminum Strut Tower bar; ECS front and rear sway bars; 3 stage intake with BPC software; BMW style 78, 17 x 8" wheels with Bridgestone RE 980AS 225/45-17 tires; Koni Special Active struts/shocks, E9x M3 RTABs.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 03:05 PM   #50
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

Stock
      03-11-2020, 03:04 PM   #51
Brel
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i-sold, 2011 X5D-sold

Rear pads to match PFC-08 fronts

PFC stopped making rear pads for 135i. What other rear pad would pair well with PFC-08 in the front, for track use?
My setup: stock calipers, StopTech rotors, 255/35/18 RE71R's square.

Last edited by Brel; 03-11-2020 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 07:58 PM   #52
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Spent a lot of time looking for a dual purpose pad. Wanted no noise, low dust, fade resistance for a HPDE day. Stock pads way too dirty and faded quickly on repeated stops. EBC Redstuff - clean, no noise but also fade fast. About to give up. Finally the new Cool Carbon ST+. Very pleased with quiet, low dust street manners. Good cold stops and good fade resistance, at least on 30 min. track sessions. These could be the elusive dual purpose pads.
Appreciate 1
asbrr540.50
      03-28-2020, 08:36 PM   #53
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Olgeezer1, I've noticed after the "10 stops from 60-5 mph" that by the 9th stop, I experienced a lot of fade. I'm not sure I'll ever need that much braking on the street, but it does get my attention. Otherwise, they have initial cold bit (but are better with a bit of heat - even by the second stop), they are quiet, and they seem very low dust compared to OE pads. Track use wasn't a concern, but I am not sure these will work on autocross sessions. Anyone tried them (the newer ceramic formulation) for this purpose?
E9x M3 front & rear suspension arms; BMW Performance brakes upgraded to drilled rotors in rear; BMW performance shifter; BMW Performance Exhaust; Wave Trac LSD with modified 'nannies'; BMW Euro Intake box; BMW Aluminum Strut Tower bar; ECS front and rear sway bars; 3 stage intake with BPC software; BMW style 78, 17 x 8" wheels with Bridgestone RE 980AS 225/45-17 tires; Koni Special Active struts/shocks, E9x M3 RTABs.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 01:34 PM   #54
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMSport View Post
Olgeezer1, I've noticed after the "10 stops from 60-5 mph" that by the 9th stop, I experienced a lot of fade. I'm not sure I'll ever need that much braking on the street, but it does get my attention. Otherwise, they have initial cold bit (but are better with a bit of heat - even by the second stop), they are quiet, and they seem very low dust compared to OE pads. Track use wasn't a concern, but I am not sure these will work on autocross sessions. Anyone tried them (the newer ceramic formulation) for this purpose?
I'm assuming we're talking about the "new" Cool Carbon S/T Plus. Not sure if they're a ceramic compound. At any rate I didn't notice fade on the break-in procedure as compared to OEM or EBC which faded after 3-4 stops. You're right of course that this will never be a factor on the street and also that they do like a bit of heat. I never found AutoX to be that demanding on brakes, probably because of the very short run times so I would think these S/T Plus should be great. I have certainly found them to be far superior to stock/EBC Redstuff on my very occasional HPDE day with no noise/dust downside.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 12:53 AM   #55
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No, I'm referencing the EBC Red Stuff that I had mentioned in prior posts. I'm really happy with them. BTW, I just had M3 RTABs installed and changed to BW braided brake lines as the rears needed to be disconnected to drop the subframe.

I know the ABS system was also bled this time, and for the first time in my ownership (4 years, 43k miles), I now have a consistent, solid pedal feel and no mushy feel. Can't say whether it is from the BW hoses or the ABS bleed. I've had 'normal' brake flushes 4-5x in my ownership. BTW, car presently has only 54k miles, so not like the OE rubber hoses should have been in tough shape. Any ideas what might have been the reason for the inconsistent pedal height/feel? Even after the initial installation of the EBC pads and new rotors, the pedal height varied and had some mushiness.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 06:45 PM   #56
1junkie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i Convertible

I also have the Redstuff pads on my 135i and think they stop and feel way better than oem but I can't get the damn things to quit squeaking. And only on the passenger side. I didn't use the factory shims because these have them glued on but I'm thinking I should have. I tried the anti-squeak spray paint stuff but they still squeak. Anyone else have this problem. Otherwise I really like them. Way less dust than oem.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 03:11 PM   #57
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting. I have not had any squeal/squeak from the red stuff pads on my car. Just good braking, good bite, and low dust as promised. One of their staff members suggested going to yellow stuff for this application, but I wanted the lower dust property that yellow stuff did not offer. Probably more fade resistance as a trade off; perhaps if I had autocross or track ideas, this may have been a consideration.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 06:00 PM   #58
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Old thread, but still valuable, so I'm bumping it.

Going to get some 2-piece rotors from ShocknAwe . I've only got 30k on my stock pads and tons of life left, but if I decide to replace them it's obviously a good time (If I do I'll replace Fr & Rr pads both).

Street driven, a bit aggressively, but not too. I have it in my head it's a race car but let's face it, it spends most of its time getting me to work and such. If I do track it, I can change components out then if needed.

I'm a fan of some initial bite, linear feel, and maybe most of all cold stops. I don't drive in the salt or snow but there are occasional zero degree days where the roads are spotless and I take it out. And since I have a manual and tend to just coast to stops it's not like the brakes get a lot of warming up.

Considering Porterfield R4-S, EBC Redstuff, Stoptech street (2022 version), and more stock pads. I've been farting around stressing the stock pads the last few days and for street driving... they're actually pretty decent. Obviously not race ready but for a daily driver pretty decent.

Any 2022 opinions or updates form folks out there?

Last edited by tracer bullet; 03-28-2022 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 04:42 PM   #59
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Old thread, but still valuable, so I'm bumping it.

Going to get some 2-piece rotors from ShocknAwe . I've only got 30k on my stock pads and tons of life left, but if I decide to replace them it's obviously a good time (If I do I'll replace Fr & Rr pads both).

Street driven, a bit aggressively, but not too. I have it in my head it's a race car but let's face it, it spends most of its time getting me to work and such. If I do track it, I can change components out then if needed.

I'm a fan of some initial bite, linear feel, and maybe most of all cold stops. I don't drive in the salt or snow but there are occasional zero degree days where the roads are spotless and I take it out. And since I have a manual and tend to just coast to stops it's not like the brakes get a lot of warming up.

Considering Porterfield R4-S, EBC Redstuff, Stoptech street (2022 version), and more stock pads. I've been farting around stressing the stock pads the last few days and for street driving... they're actually pretty decent. Obviously not race ready but for a daily driver pretty decent.

Any 2022 opinions or updates form folks out there?
BMW stock pads have more initial bite than most aftermarket pads in my experience. Most aftermarket street pads have more of a linear torque curve. I personally like the R4-S a lot and run them on 3 personal cars.
Appreciate 2
      03-30-2022, 11:35 AM   #60
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
BMW stock pads have more initial bite than most aftermarket pads in my experience. Most aftermarket street pads have more of a linear torque curve. I personally like the R4-S a lot and run them on 3 personal cars.
Thanks. It seems that the bite vs. linear are a one-or-the-other sort of proposition.

And with all that is at your disposal, running the Porterfields on your own cars says a lot!

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 12:39 PM   #61
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Thanks. It seems that the bite vs. linear are a one-or-the-other sort of proposition.

And with all that is at your disposal, running the Porterfields on your own cars says a lot!

Thanks again.
PM me if you are looking for a set!
Appreciate 2
      07-23-2023, 07:20 PM   #62
shortribs
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i (Track) 328XiA (DD)

Bumping this thread again, particularly for the 128i guys.

Background: I run a 128i M-Sport, and am in my second season of track days. I'm looking for the brake pad upgrade in **stock 128i fitment**. I do about 4-6 HPDE events a year in the lower intermediate run groups. I've burned through my stock setup and have no need to keep pads street-oriented as now trailer the 128i to events.

I've searched and mulled through multiple threads on mods/upgrades and may well go with the consensus 335/328 caliper mod down the road, though in the interim would enjoy slapping on a set direct bolt-in pads along the lines of PFC-08's or Pagid RS129's for the next season or two while I get more seat time in... However, neither seem available as a 128i fitment. Happy to be informed otherwise.

Porterfield's site also lists R4's for the front but don't have a matching rear (only R4-S).

What comes closest to the above track pads in a matching front and rear pair?
      07-23-2023, 09:42 PM   #63
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
G-loc sells all of their compounds in the stock 128i pad shapes. I ran them for a few events several years ago.

PFC doesn't make direct fit pads for the 128.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2023, 09:57 PM   #64
Brian_
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 128i, '18 VW Golf

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Hawk has a few of their compounds in the stock 128i front and rear pad shapes as well, including their newer ER-1 pads.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2023, 08:01 AM   #65
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Another bump. Just replaced OEM rotors and pads all around with EBC slotted rotors (USR) and Yellowstuff pads. Stock pads and rotors wear wearing 'funny' and, under threshold braking, were fading (outgassing probably), so wanted to remove that issue.

Pad: EBC Yellowstuff (post 2021 formulation)
Suggested use: Street (EBC says they are no longer track rated)
Actual use: Street and spirited driving
Dust: About the same as OEM.
Rating for actual use: these replaced stock BMW Jurid FF rated pads, Yellowstuffs are rated GG.

Replaced all hardware on calipers (pins/springs) that BMW recommends replacing. Used Permatex high temp brake grease sparingly on back of pad and all surfaces that 'slide'. When each corner had new rotor and pads, we'd spin the rotor then brake & release it to ensure it was working. The coating EBC puts on the rotors produces a gawd awful groaning noise for a mile or so before the pads cut thru it. That freaked me out just a bit. ;-)

No squeaks or rattles - and the car does stop; looks like we were able to install them correctly. I haven't bedded the pads & rotors in completely yet, but the pedal feels great - no grabbiness - easy to modulate, but there are hints of significantly better braking potential over stock. Vented rotors should remove the fade issues I've experienced.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 01:09 PM   #66
WrathOTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

I'd like to know how much dust they create. I had them on my lexus GS400 for a few years, and although they felt and worked great they insanely dusty.