BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-17-2024, 02:44 PM   #1
richN51
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 128i

Question White smoke coming from engine but not overheating

I had a coolant leak which spilledcoolant all over the engine and such . I replaced the hose that was cracked and refilled the coolant and everything was good no leaks found and coolant never disappeard but I drive for 15 minutes and it just start smoking white vapor out of the hood so I just park wherever I can quickly .I’m not getting any type of symbols on the dash like overheating but I’m thinking it’s just the previous coolant that spilled getting hot from the engine. Anyone know if I’m wrong or have an opinion because Ive been battling with this for like a week and I don’t want to be driving it because of fear of messing something up Thanks .
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 05:54 AM   #2
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
So the coolant level in the reservoir hasn't changed?

I'd be surprised if you were still burning off spilled coolant after a week of driving it. Which hose broke? How fast did you catch the coolant leak?

Do you have a scan tool? You can watch the actual coolant temperature with one of those or an obd tool to see what it's doing.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2024, 07:35 AM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I think I'd drive around to get the engine warmed up, then park and pop the hood open. See where the smoke (or steam perhaps) is coming from, any smells, etc.

You might consider cleaning the engine as well. But it's not as easy as it sounds and if you're super new to cars might want to forget about that step.
Appreciate 0