BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #23
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

This product looks to me like many other products out there. Including the MS scoops. There is no proof that they actually do anything. If anything, I can imagine that cross sectional area of the actual intake opening is reduced, by the thickness of the perimeter of the plastic insert. Perhaps they can be considered to have some cosmetic effect, but minimal.

Has anyone been able to test the airflow, to measure it, and show that the scoops do, in fact, increase airflow?
      10-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #24
hongi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' 128i Alpine white

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
This intake scoop fits in 128i?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #25
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
This product looks to me like many other products out there. Including the MS scoops. There is no proof that they actually do anything. If anything, I can imagine that cross sectional area of the actual intake opening is reduced, by the thickness of the perimeter of the plastic insert. Perhaps they can be considered to have some cosmetic effect, but minimal.

Has anyone been able to test the airflow, to measure it, and show that the scoops do, in fact, increase airflow?
Agreed. At best you might get a very slight hp increase at higher speeds. I might get them just 'cause the look cool behind the kidneys.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #26
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Take a look at the construction of the MS scoops in comparison also. The MS scoops have a butter-smooth inside finish for 100% air movement. These have cut edges which I would think would slow down and/or buffet the incoming air a bit.

These arent all huge ass differences here, mainly just all the reasons for which I would go with MS over aFe, honestly the hat, key chain, etc. doesnt give me reason to go with them.
Let's talk a little bit about build quality here. The MS Scoops are made from polyethylene (plastic) vs aFe Metal. Let's also compare it to the RPI Scoops that are made of sheet metal but really super thin.

I mean seriously guys I challenge you guys to bring the products here and compare build quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
I was looking at:

http://www.**********s.com/AFE-intak...i-54-11648.htm

Which shows the scoops without the other stuff for $130. I don't want the hat, keychain, and frame.
If it were me I would order from the scoop value package and save 30.05 and then throw away the hat, keychain, and frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=3130

There, everyone just go there and get those. Sorry to jack the thread, but like i said its a buyers market and these are cheaper and of a better contruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
It's called competition, and it brings out the best. Those do appear to be a superior product at a better price.
I think I already covered this build quality issue. Plastic vs Metal, the aFe scoops are built as if if would have came from factory from BMW. Again any locals are welcome to come and see this product for yourself. and if the 10.00 in price difference is really an issue I will personally create a rebate for you guys. I guarantee you'll like the aFe Scoops guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post

Now I think you are a very reasonable person. Like I stated before scoops regardless of its aFe's, MS, or RPI, you'll see a marginal increase. I know one things for sure, it will help your car more than it will hurt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongi View Post
This intake scoop fits in 128i?
Yes it will fit your 128i!

Thank you to drinkcoke3 for his recent n55 Drop in Filter and aFe scoop purchase as well!

Kevin
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #27
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s View Post
Now I think you are a very reasonable person. Like I stated before scoops regardless of its aFe's, MS, or RPI, you'll see a marginal increase. I know one things for sure, it will help your car more than it will hurt it.
Kevin
I am more worried about the degree of wallet pain in relation to HP increase.
      10-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #28
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s View Post
I think I already covered this build quality issue. Plastic vs Metal, the aFe scoops are built as if if would have came from factory from BMW. Again any locals are welcome to come and see this product for yourself. and if the 10.00 in price difference is really an issue I will personally create a rebate for you guys. I guarantee you'll like the aFe Scoops guys.
Rebate sounds good... hook it up!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #29
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
Rebate sounds good... hook it up!
SURE THING!!! PM coming you way!

Kevin
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 11:34 PM   #30
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Funny thing is I wasnt comparing the "plastic to metal" bizz until you brought it up. Had you read the rest of what i said, youd have noticed I was speaking about the smooth construction of the inside of the MS one as opposed to the cut straight edged construction of yours. But while we're on the subject, arent most aftermarket suspension pieces like bushings, etc. made from polyurethane, as well as many others even apart from automotive pieces all made to endure weather and beatings?

Pretty sure nothing would happen to either scoop. Dont know why this would ever even come up, as long as they are set in and installed correctly, nothing will compromise their structure unless you crash into something. So metal vs polyurethane is no argument over which to buy. That said, half of our cars' interior and engine compartment makeup is of plastics, plastic has come a long way.

Do what ya want eh? Ive said my piece
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #31
Mistercup
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E82 BMW 120 D Coupe

Garage List
2009 E82 120D  [0.00]
Hello,
I would have a small question, if somebody can use. Could say to me the dimension of the hole or takes place bailers. Because I would like to adapt him(it) on mine.

Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0