BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-25-2015, 09:29 PM   #23
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
I decided to buy mine before I even drove one. This is the only option Bee Em Double-Ewe has left that's even remotely targeted where the brand was 30 years ago. It's this or I get out of cars altogether and buy a beach beater (which, honestly, is all I really need anyway).

And I absolutely love the thing, it's still growing on me. The only mod so far is a clutch stop . Oh, and PQ brakes too. I'll do RSFB inserts one of these days... if for no other reason than to keep the factory bushes from tearing out. Sometimes I miss the somewhat jarring ride of my departed E36... but I'm determined to leave this one alone (I'm getting to old for this shit anyway).

BUY THE CAR
I just did the bushing inserts. Holding off on the full M3 bushings until I do the BMW PS and M3 front arms. As an interim measure, the inserts make a remarkable difference. Almost without a doubt the best $50 mod (plus installation, if you have someone else do it) you can do for the car. I love them.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #24
Marlbombs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
I just did the bushing inserts. Holding off on the full M3 bushings until I do the BMW PS and M3 front arms. As an interim measure, the inserts make a remarkable difference. Almost without a doubt the best $50 mod (plus installation, if you have someone else do it) you can do for the car. I love them.
I dont mean to hijack, but is there a substantial difference in the installation between the inserts and the full M3 RSFBs? I would just think if you have to get in there you might as well do the whole thing? no?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #25
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbombs View Post
I dont mean to hijack, but is there a substantial difference in the installation between the inserts and the full M3 RSFBs? I would just think if you have to get in there you might as well do the whole thing? no?
It is SUBSTANTIALLY easier to just put in the inserts. You only really have to loosen a few bolts, rather than completely drop the subframe. In terms of labor, if you pay someone to do it, expect 1-1.5 hours labor for the inserts and 6+ hours for the full RSFBs.
That is why most people do RSFB along with other suspension components, since it is already pulled apart.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 11:39 AM   #26
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Good friend of mine had an FBO '08 Sti for about 2 years (now has an S2K, 'cause he's weird about switching cars, but knows his stuff). Took him for a ride in my bone stock (still is) 135i. "Jesus Christ, this thing is as fast as my fucking Sti was!". So, yes, you're going to like it if you're cool with the AWD to RWD transition. I had a K04'd '11 A3 Quattro before this and the only thing I miss is that ability to effortlessly\carelessly accelerate HARD out of turns. But throttle steering is fun, too.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 11:52 AM   #27
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Quote:
I have yet to do mine, but I have the parts and tools. Very good DIY at http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875885 (WAY easier than outright replacing the bushings, I can do this myself with just a few handtools)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 11:59 AM   #28
Marlbombs
Private First Class
Rep

I'm actually in the same boat as the OP. I had a FBO '05 STI and I currently drive a '13 Evo MR. My friend (an E46 M3 driver) calls my Evo a race car in a box. There is nothing comfortable or luxurious about it but it is a blast to drive. However I have grown tired of the glitchy SST (The Evo equivalent to the DCT) and all of the shakes and rattles and noise. I literally went manufacturer to manufacturer looking what car would me the most items on my checklist. I wanted a 6MT, coupe, with a decent amount of power (turbo is my thing so that was a bonus), RWD, community/aftermarket support, and some luxury/creature comforts for around $30k. I kept coming back to the 135i. I went to a local dealership and all they had was a DCT E88 and I was very impressed with it. No, it didnt handle like my Evo but it met basically my entire checklist. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a 6MT coupe in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #29
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
I have yet to do mine, but I have the parts and tools. Very good DIY at http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875885 (WAY easier than outright replacing the bushings, I can do this myself with just a few handtools)
As I said, do it ASAP. Best $50 you can spend on your car. Hell, it would be the best $200 you could spend.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 12:03 PM   #30
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

Quote:
<... snip ...> I went to a local dealership and all they had was a DCT E88 and I was very impressed with it. No, it didnt handle like my Evo but it met basically my entire checklist. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a 6MT coupe in the near future.
I found mine on AutoTrader (no affiliation). It was 500 miles from my house, but that's an issue easily reconciled.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 12:05 PM   #31
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
As I said, do it ASAP. Best $50 you can spend on your car. Hell, it would be the best $200 you could spend.
Did your ride height change? There seem to be varied thoughts on that.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 12:06 PM   #32
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
"Jesus Christ, this thing is as fast as my fucking Sti was!".
Yeah, for all the tuning and bolt-ons people here do to their 135's, it's just because they can, not because the car needs it. To be perfectly honest, the car in stock form is stupid fast and a real torque monster. I kept my first one bone stock for 3 years and enjoyed it. But once the mod bug bites...

Suspension is definitely the weak link in this car, but even that isn't terrible if you aren't tracking it regularly. Plus, suspension is an easy upgrade.

OP: Get a 135. Can't imagine any reason you would not be happy.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #33
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Did your ride height change? There seem to be varied thoughts on that.
Not that I have noticed. Just a lot more stable.
My biggest complaint was the lateral wiggle in a high speed turn if you hit uneven pavement, like small bumps on an onramp. That is gone now. Potholes are a lot smoother now too. Less "float" when you hit one with no increase in crash.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #34
Marlbombs
Private First Class
Rep

Just an update for everyone: I pulled the trigger and bought a 2011 SBM 6MT 135i. So far I really like the car. It is definitely not an Evo and that is taking some getting used to. It doesnt have the instant power that my modified Evo had and the suspension is very soft and "floaty" in comparison, but the car drives very nice and is very comfortable for it's size. I will get the suspension firmed up and the power levels up in time. But for now I'm just going to enjoy the car and mess with little cosmetic odds and ends.
Appreciate 3
      04-07-2015, 01:56 PM   #35
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Just an update for everyone: I pulled the trigger and bought a 2011 SBM 6MT 135i. So far I really like the car.
Congrats & Welcome to 1Addicts!!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #36
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Congrats & Welcome to 1Addicts!!
+1
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #37
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

ONE OF US ONE OF US!!!

Welcome aboard.
      04-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #38
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General