BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 16' m4

Am i going to regret no iDrive?

hey guys,

final thread i swear! so im getting this 135, 2011 2nd hand soon. it has EVERYTHING, even most performance parts.... but satnav/idrive... I had the satnav in my 2011 Golf GTi, but never used it..To be honest i just liked having the screen for ipod etc..

Am i really going to regret spending a nice amount of money on the car and not getting idrive? because it seems nice.. but also gimmicky at the same time.

Am i loosing any major features? The car still has full ipod control right? just not as easy with the small screen...

So confused...

Oh and you cant retro fit it can you?

Love chase

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
The feature I use the least on the iDrive is the actual navigation, although I do glance at it when I leave the office to see the live traffic and plan my route home accordingly. I have used the iPod control in cars with Nav and without and to say you have iPod control in a non-iDrive car is a bit of a stretch. On the spectrum of control where 0 is no control and 10 is full control, non-iDrive cars get a 0.1 and iDrive gets a 9.9. Use them back to back and you'll know immediately what I mean. The system is not gimmicky - it's excellent - and, in my opinion, makes the car SO much more enjoyable.

Don't even entertain the idea of a retrofit.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

This is one of those threads where the non-iDrive owners will say you don't need it but the iDrive guys will say get it.

If I could only get one option on my car it would be iDrive. I think it's fantastic, it integrates everything from Nav, to phone contacts, to displaying music, to displaying service features and so on.

It's definitely a must-have for me and it's the small features that make the whole driving experience a lot more fun.

If this is your DD and you don't plan on upgrading for a while I recommend getting it. It's best not to have any regrets.

As for the retro-fit, it's not worth it.

*Only get iDrive on the 09+ models. The old version is ratshit. Someone on here described the old iDrive vs the new iDrive like comparing the Playstation 1 to Playstation 3. I think that's a fairly accurate representation, and he has the old iDrive! I didn't find the old one very user-friendly at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

I have it. While I'm glad I do, I also curse it every day. The user interface absolutely sucks - it's not intuititve, and everything requires way more selections and button presses than it should. The nav system is class-action bad - if you want to know the most circuitous route to your destination, this'll give it to you.

I get in friends' cars, and their displays are touch screen, bright, lively and well laid out. It's just amazing how mediocre this one is, in comparison.
      04-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Completely agree with all points, especially the 2009+ being mandatory. The 2008 is archaic. I also agree that the actual navigation is horrendous. It wanted me to take local roads from NYC to Atlantic City. Literally telling me to get off the Parkway at every single exit.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #6
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
This is one of those threads where the non-iDrive owners will say you don't need it but the iDrive guys will say get it.

If I could only get one option on my car it would be iDrive. I think it's fantastic, it integrates everything from Nav, to phone contacts, to displaying music, to displaying service features and so on.

It's definitely a must-have for me and it's the small features that make the whole driving experience a lot more fun.

If this is your DD and you don't plan on upgrading for a while I recommend getting it. It's best not to have any regrets.

*Only get iDrive on the 09+ models. The old version is ratshit. Someone on here described the old iDrive vs the new iDrive like comparing the Playstation 1 to Playstation 3. I think that's a fairly accurate representation, and he has the old iDrive! I didn't find the old one very user-friendly at all.
The problem is, is that the one im looking at getting has EVERY damn option under the sun.. but idrive... and i dont think id find a car like it for a long time...

So im a bit confused as what to do.. tough decision. All i care about is that my Bluetooth will still work, and i can still plug in my iphone 4 lol
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseyo View Post
The problem is, is that the one im looking at getting has EVERY damn option under the sun.. but idrive... and i dont think id find a car like it for a long time...

So im a bit confused as what to do.. tough decision. All i care about is that my Bluetooth will still work, and i can still plug in my iphone 4 lol
Trust me, if you're even considering it, you will most likely want it. Gadgets aren't for everyone but this one integrates all aspects of the car really well. I'm sure if you bought a 135i without certain features you wouldn't miss them because the car itself is really amazing. But as I said it's really nice to have it.

If it is optioned on your car you will use it everyday. It's functions are not limited to Navigation and you can use it for plenty of other things which makes it really handy. I could be wrong but I think BMW is making the iDrive screen standard on all new BMW models, although it does not come with the actual Nav feature and that is still a cost-option.

My car is fully loaded except I don't have Active Steering and Adaptive Headlights. As I said earlier, the only option I would get again is the Pro Nav, even though I always use my sunroof and comfort access. Just my 5 cents though, I'm sure everyone is different.

There are few threads on this topic and it seems like the majority have expressed the same view in the past. I only recall reading 1 negative review and he's already posted in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #8
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Trust me, if you're even considering it, you will most likely want it. Gadgets aren't for everyone but this one integrates all aspects of the car really well. I'm sure if you bought a 135i without certain features you wouldn't miss them because the car itself is really amazing. But as I said it's really nice to have it.

If it is optioned on your car you will use it everyday. It's functions are not limited to Navigation and you can use it for plenty of other things which makes it really handy. I could be wrong but I think BMW is making the iDrive screen standard on all new BMW models, although it does not come with the actual Nav feature and that is still a cost-option.

My car is fully loaded except I don't have Active Steering and Adaptive Headlights. As I said earlier, the only option I would get again is the Pro Nav, even though I always use my sunroof and comfort access. Just my 5 cents though, I'm sure everyone is different.

There are few threads on this topic and it seems like the majority have expressed the same view in the past. I only recall reading 1 negative review and he's already posted in this thread.

damn i was like on my way to buying this car on friday... shittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttt
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

My regret is not having I drive

But I was careless for almost 2 months and was getting desperate so had to settle.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

I ordered my car back in December and I got everything except for iDrive. I would like to have it but I don't think it's worth the price they are asking for it.. Now since you're looking used? ..it might be worth looking into since the price difference for the cars probably won't be too far apart..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Is it worth loosing Performance Body kit, CF Defuser , CF front Lip, Stage 2 Perf upgrade, BMW Perf Exhaust for Professional idrive?

one with idrive has 10,000 Less K's aswell.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #12
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Is it worth loosing Performance Body kit, CF Defuser , CF front Lip, Stage 2 Perf upgrade, BMW Perf Exhaust for Professional idrive?

I would probably get the non-iDrive if the price was similar enough.

Is good but I don't miss it that much since I don't really listen to music anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Price is the same, i listen to heaps of music. But as long as i can plug in my iphone im happy.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #14
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
I had 2 options that were must-have when I ordered my 135i: M-Sport Package and iDrive. The problem was, after finding out what my bank would give me, I could only have one of them. And I went for the M-Sport Package. Do I regret it? Not really because its not like I could of had too much of a choice, at the time the M-Sport pack had more of an appeal to me. Do I wish I had iDrive? Damn right I do.

You can certainly get by without it. But it would be something you wish you had.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #15
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Don't have I-drive on either BMW, don't really want it. Fiddled with it on a couple of 5-series loaners during service appts., didn't find anything I couldn't live without.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #16
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:

I know the car you are talking about, I've seen it online before and it's really nice with all the extra bits. However, you can always add those parts afterwards if you're willing to spend the money, I can't say the same for the iDrive. At the time I spec'd my car the Pro Nav was $5500 from memory, plus LCT because it was a factory option so it's not cheap either. I believe the prices have come down a bit since then though.

It's entirely up to you and what you want out of the car. You'll spend most of your time inside the cockpit and having the iDrive makes day to day driving more enjoyable, at least in my opinion. The people that say you can buy a Tom Tom for $150 miss the point altogether because it has so many other features.

It's a tough decision because the car you're looking a lot of extra goodies, shame it didn't have the iDrive in the first place but I'm sure it would be selling for a bit more than the current asking price too.

Last edited by BMW86; 04-11-2012 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #17
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
I had 2 options that were must-have when I ordered my 135i: M-Sport Package and iDrive. The problem was, after finding out what my bank would give me, I could only have one of them. And I went for the M-Sport Package. Do I regret it? Not really because its not like I could of had too much of a choice, at the time the M-Sport pack had more of an appeal to me. Do I wish I had iDrive? Damn right I do.

You can certainly get by without it. But it would be something you wish you had.

Never been so conflicted. Because the performance one has EVERYTHING i want.. minus the nav... other car just has the NAV and no performance parts.

Lucky every Australian delivered 135 has Msport as standard
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #18
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

damn why doesnt it just have idrive... jfaiuowjdiajgwoiadjiawgaw
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #19
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

I don't think there's a bad choice to be made. I'm surprised that car has not sold as it's been online for quite some time and has a lot of nice goodies. You will be happy either choice, you just need to work out what your priorities are. There is nothing worse that buyers remorse. As I said, you can always add a few Performance parts later and probably pay about the same (or even less) as what the iDrive cost on the car brand new.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #20
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I don't think there's a bad choice to be made. I'm surprised that car has not sold as it's been online for quite some time and has a lot of nice goodies. You will be happy either choice, you just need to work out what your priorities are. There is nothing worse that buyers remorse. As I said, you can always add a few Performance parts later and probably pay about the same (or even less) as what the iDrive cost on the car brand new.
I'm inclined to agree, however im at my extremities buying either car. So if i buy idrive optioned one... no chance im adding anything to it. visa versa.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #21
DEng66
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

Trust me friend...I know the power of new car fever as well as anyone and all I can say is this: Force yourself to really think about what you want/need and don't jump into anything just because it's right in front of you. I promise you will regret it every day!

In February I stopped by the dealership about 2 hours before they closed to look at the new F30 3 series and let the new car fever take control. I bought a 328i that wasn't my first choice color combo, didn't have the HK stereo, no sport package, well you get the idea. After about 3 weeks, I was kicking myself so hard that I started shopping around until I found the exact car I wanted and took a loss trading in my 5 week old 328i for a 335i with all the options.

Of course, with all that said, I did have a 2009 135i without idrive and, while it would have been nice to have, I didn't have regrets about that. Here are a couple of things to consider (keep in mind this is all my personal opinon): without the idrive, you are losing more in terms of presentation and ease of use than you are in actual functionality (except for the navigation itself). For example, you can still plug in the iphone and listen to music but you lose the ease of navigating your music with on-screen menus. You can see the currently playing song title on the orange lcd display but won't be able to see entire lists.
One other thing to check out is whether either car or both have the upgraded versus the base stereo.

Bottom line - think all your options through carefully, make a careful choice, then don't look back and drive the hell out of that car!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #22
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

I'm one of those people that hate anything bright in the interior while I'm driving at night. Even my dash is set for the lowest brightness setting. it just gives me a headache. it was the main reason why I ordered it without it. Past loaners that I have had all had them so I know what I'm missing and I have no regrets. It's definitely a personal preference.