BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-07-2019, 10:20 PM   #1
joeswamp
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

Convertible top compartment lid rattle

On my 135i convertible I'm getting this rattle from behind the rear seats. I *think* it's the convertible top compartment lid -- if I hit the lid with my hand (while it's closed) I can sort of reproduce a muffled version of the noise.

Searching this forum, I learned that underneath the lid are these rubber "stop buffers" that screw in and out. I searched for these on newtis and found this instruction. Mine were a little shy of the 53mm recommended length and so I unscrewed each about a half turn or so, measured with a caliper. They are still soft rubber and I don't think they need to be replaced.

Now the noise is even louder! I don't want to unscrew these things much more as I don't want to overstress the latch system. I'm also curious as to what's making the noise, it almost sounds like a heavy metal object whose mounting bolts have gotten loose. I think it's the lid but I'm not 100% sure. There are no marks on the lid retention loops and the rollers that hold it in place seem to look good as well (are these even metal? they sort of look like hard plastic).

I thought for a while that maybe the rollover protection mechanism was loose, but those things are bolted down tight. Any ideas? I should mention that the noise only happens with the top up, it does not happen with the top down.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 07:33 AM   #2
olds350
Needs a long road trip...
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e91, '13 e88, '19 golf R

You did exactly what I did when I had the rattle you described. You said the noise got worse? Did you try turning them back in? Worth a try. BTW, I was getting another rattle after I adjusted those stops. Someone had put a piece of wooden door trim into the drivers side top well opening, so every time I had some sort of hard G stop/start/turn, I'd hear a thunk. I think someone was goofing with the PO...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #3
joeswamp
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

I didn't try turning them back in, but spent some time last night looking in the top compartment for anything loose.

Did not see anything loose, but I did notice that a 4" strip of felt tape had gotten displaced. This tape was on the middle of the front edge of the top compartment, sort of directly under a block of rubber attached to the top compartment lid. It was still attached by one end but was hanging down into the compartment. I put this back where it was supposed to be.

Driving to work this morning, it seems the noise has disappeared! I don't quite see how moving the felt tape could have done it (as it's sitting under a rubber block) but I'll look again later. Not even sure why felt tape is used here. Also, it rained all last night so it could be that all the rubber pieces swelled up with moisture and tightened everything up.

Think I need to buy a roll of this tape...
Appreciate 0