05-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #23
OAM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angerman View Post
I went to my dealer for an oil change and to get the wastegates looked at and all I have installed is the ER CP; he comes back and says this voids your warranty with this installed. Put me in the system that modifications were done to the car and now can't get anything replaced under warranty (engine wise). I responded, "If anything was wrong with the car and that piece didn't cause the issue it would still be voided?" He said, yep. I was going to fight with him but decided it's not really worth my time when nothing was apparently wrong with the engine. So yea, depends on your dealer.
Yeah this is pretty much what my dealer said, ALL warranty will be voided not just on charge pipe. Anyone know a dealership in NJ that has had a different conversation? I'll switch if so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
Can we make a sticky for this topic on every forum please. You can install ANY aftermarket part and by LAW it will not void warranty. The case that set this president was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act. Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

Here is the catch with that. It is up to the dealer / company to prove the part caused the failure. That means while the LAW is on your side it comes down to HOW MUCH FIGHTING you are willing to do. While you could ultimately win and show the part did not cause the "said failure". It is how much time and effort are you willing to put in to prove you case.
Good information, maybe I'll bring this up when the part comes in and see what they say then. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #24
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
track[/B]
BMW recommends the following measures before driving on a race track:
- Participate in a BMW driver training course
- Have the vehicle checked by your BMW center
Operation on race tracks results in a higher rate of wear. The BMW 1-Series M Coupe is not designed for use in competitive motor sports. This wear is not covered by the vehicle warranty.
The series brake pads and wear indicator are not designed for operation on a race track. Your BMW center will be glad to advise you."[/I][/INDENT]They're on standby to use the "We told ya" defense.
Well that is a oxy moron if I ever saw one. Hi please buy this awesome car that can do awesome things on the track. Oh by the way don't use it on the track to do those awesome things Just be happy with awesome and not awesomeness...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #25
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Excerpt of page 27 of the "BMW 1M Supplementary Owner's Manual 2011 (USA)" (available in the manuals sticky: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...82&postcount=1):
"Driving on a race track
BMW recommends the following measures before driving on a race track:
- Participate in a BMW driver training course
- Have the vehicle checked by your BMW center
Operation on race tracks results in a higher rate of wear. The BMW 1-Series M Coupe is not designed for use in competitive motor sports. This wear is not covered by the vehicle warranty.
The series brake pads and wear indicator are not designed for operation on a race track. Your BMW center will be glad to advise you."
They're on standby to use the "We told ya" defense.
Regular wear isn't covered by warranty, so higher rate of wear when operation on track isn't either. Moot point i'd say!?

Actually this suggest to me that as long as you're on track, and do not participate on competitive motorsports you warranty (pads xcluded) is maintained.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #26
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Competitive is the key word. It isn't timed or competitive.

Lotus pulled the same BS about 6 months after the 05 Elise came stateside.

Last edited by Dan Parker; 05-21-2012 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #27
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Don't even bother bringing into the dealership. You'll just get more of the same.

Active Autowerke has some good solutions that will last.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #28
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
Well that is an oxymoron if I ever saw one. Hi please buy this awesome car that can do awesome things on the track. Oh by the way don't use it on the track to do those awesome things Just be happy with awesome and not awesomeness...
Yeah, and if you sit in the waiting room of the dealership, you'll find a handpicked selection of "inspiring" car magazines on the coffee table ...raving about their cars pushed to the limit during a test.

Porsche and Audi dealerships: same story.

Believe me, the wing on the trunk lid of an M3 GTS is intended by BMW to merely serve the purpose of temporary storing your groceries upon returning from the super market at the shopping mall.
      05-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #29
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Something like a charge pipe could easily be switched back to OEM for an engine-related dealer visit if need-be. I know that sounds like a lot of unecessary work, but if you are concerned that the issue you are bringing it in for might get blamed on your non-OEM component, just avoid the headache and switch it out.
      05-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #30
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
Something like a charge pipe could easily be switched back to OEM for an engine-related dealer visit if need-be. I know that sounds like a lot of unecessary work, but if you are concerned that the issue you are bringing it in for might get blamed on your non-OEM component, just avoid the headache and switch it out.
Yep. Used to swap ECUs on my Audi B5 S4 back in the day when the ability to toggle back and forth between stock and flashed programs was a pipe dream. Never had a significant warranty claim, so it was a moot point, but still made sure to swap it out 75 miles prior to routine maintenance (get some recorded history on there). It was effective enough where some dealers would paint the bolts to the ECU housing to see if owners were opening the box....

Better yet, just build a strong rapport with your SA....
      05-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #31
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN

The stock charge pipe is a pos -- it either pops off or breaks.

Lots of good aftermarket alternatives out there.

Neil
Still rolling with the stock part. Spent last weekend hitting 135 consistently at high plains raceway.

*shrug*

As a reference point, My car was produced in August.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #32
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskpsu View Post
... Better yet, just build a strong rapport with your SA ....
Yeg!

Any contact usually turns into a knowledge fencing game, mostly triggered by refusal to admit that they actually don't know, or worse don't care to know.

I'll go with showing up at the dealer with hardly used stock components
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #33
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

buy the charge pipe, learn to work on the car and let the vendor deal with any issues. vendors are much better to deal with than dealers.

the only thing that burns me (and i mean REALLY disappoints me) is that the shop manuals are not easy to obtain for this car! every other car i've owned i've been able to obtain the shop manuals for (even my motorcycles). all the bolt/nut/etc tq specs are typically included, which is extremely importan...especially when i changed out my final drive in one of my cars. BMW's...good luck! what a load of crap.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 01:07 PM   #34
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Reviving an old thread!

So, do we have a consensus on the best aftermarket Charge Pipe that requires NO modifications?

My BMW Dealership said they would put anything on if it does not require any additional mods?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 01:36 PM   #35
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2012 135I 6MT AW/RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
Reviving an old thread!

So, do we have a consensus on the best aftermarket Charge Pipe that requires NO modifications?

My BMW Dealership said they would put anything on if it does not require any additional mods?

Thanks in advance!
There are plenty of reviews if you search the forums on this topic but for the most part everyone is happy with VRSF and I myself use ARM which both fit great and under $200 brand new and even less used. I bought a used pipe just as good as new.
Tornado1M1209.00
      07-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #36
AzGregg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black 1 series M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
Reviving an old thread!

Thanks in advance!
our charge pipe popped while the dealer was testing the car after some service work. The stock part was expensive and backordered, but ours lasted 85K.

I provided the dealer and ER charge pipe and they installed it without any problems. has been working fine since.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1209.00